Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Y! Sports: Pat White stands almost zero chance of being on 53 man roster as a QB.

Oldskool

The way he played with the Gators (692 rushing attempts with 57 rushing TD's), and being that just about every snap that he takes is from the Shotgun leads me to believe otherwise.

You're technically right though. He's only considered to be a "mobile" QB.

At 240lbs he's built better for it than Pat is at 200lbs. I tend to consider rushing for over 2900 yds and his signature QB draw somewhat of a formidable and legitimate threat. That's why I said that Miami should have gone after him if they wanted a QB for their Wildcat scheme. Tim seems that he'd be a good fit for it; at least a better one than White. Pat just appears to be out of his league in the NFL from what I've seen from him so far.

Welcome to the NFL. Had it been Pat who took that hit, he probably would have been carted of the field on a stretcher K.O.'d...again.

Those are college numbers though. They don't mean much in the discussion of how he translates over to the NFL.

Urban Meyer's spread option against college LBs and safeties obviously isn't the same as trying to run the Wildcat (which you can only run once in awhile) in the NFL.

I think Pat White is obviously a terrible Wildcat QB since apparently he can't pass the ball, and Tebow would be a terrible Wildcat QB since he can't run the ball in the style he did in college (running through people- he's not evasive at all).

I think Pat White is obviously a terrible Wildcat QB since apparently he can't pass the ball

I heard a report that in TC there was drill that had 5 wideouts without defenders. White couldn't decide who to throw the ball to, so he tucked it away and ran against air. Not once, but twice. How's those apples? lol

Tebow would be a terrible Wildcat QB since he can't run the ball in the style he did in college (running through people- he's not evasive at all).

You know, I'm really surprised he went in the 1st round. He's not exactly the prototypical NFL QB.

I wouldn't call White a "luxury pick" considering that they didn't have a sure thing at QB. It certainly was a risk to a certain extent to pick him that high to play at QB, but the payoff was potentially high as well, considering his athleticism. Given their commitment to the "wildcat", it made sense.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, it was our pick they received through the Jason Taylor deal, so yeah it was a luxury pick. Glad it failed.

• 2 weeks later...
I made a bet with my Dolphins fan roommate. He says that White is going to get cut. I say there's no way the Fins cut someone they drafted in the 2nd round the year before. Even if he's showing no promise, you can't give up on that high a draft pick after such a short period of time.

Winner gets 6 pack of their choice bought for them.

Hope you got money for the six pack of his choice...you lose that bet

Pat White-QB-Dolphins Sep. 5 - 8:10 pm et

Former Dolphins second-round pick Pat White passed through waivers unclaimed on Sunday.

He could've been had for a mere $395K salary, but no team was willing to give the former 44th overall selection a shot. Left for dead after one season and two camps, White's mental state appears to be shaken. He may go back to the drawing board about his athletic career over the next few weeks.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

• 6 months later...

Pat White - QB - Dolphins

Former Dolphins QB Pat White has retired from professional baseball.

White gave up on football last summer and signed with the Kansas City Royals organization, but apparently things didn't work out. Still just 25, it wouldn't be surprising if he attempted an NFL comeback. However, he drew zero interest as a free agent last year, and there's no reason to believe things will be different this time around.

Source: Boston Globe Mar 13, 10:40 AM

I feel bad for him. There's always other pro-football leagues in America or abroad if he wants to be a passer. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches and collect a paycheck.

Kid should have swallowed his pride, known that he wasn't going to be a QB in the NFL. I knew when he refused to do only QB position drills at the combine that he was sealing his own fate.

Archived