Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

f05lWx-v_reasonably_small.jpg
Melissa Reddy– yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAAFAAYAAAIFjI+pawUAOw==Verified account ‏@MelissaReddy_

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0n

OFFICIAL: Joe Gomez signs a new five-year deal at #LFC

Another majorly quick contract extension from Edwards for a key player going forward. Not that he had any chance of leaving, but it's nice to have the faith in him from the club to bump him and tie him down for longer.

And Cam Brannagans gone out for the rest of the year to Fleetwood: 

f05lWx-v_reasonably_small.jpg
Melissa Reddy– yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAAFAAYAAAIFjI+pawUAOw==Verified account ‏@MelissaReddy_

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0n

Cameron Brannagan has joined Fleetwood Town on loan until the end of the season#LFC
8:00 am - 27 Jan 2017

Interesting to see what happen's next summer as regards him. Personally like him a lot and think he's got far more to his game than Kev Stewart so maybe that's the switch there with Stewart moving on for a tidy little profit. But Cameron will be 21 by then so a decision is nearing being made on what we do with him. See how he comes back pre-season and if he's had a big leap like Ejaria did after last summers break. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Morrison J said:

There was only one person upset and it certainly wasn't me :)

Kent looked very good last weekend tbf. Best Leeds team I've watched in over 10 years though. Defeats don't hurt as much these days as I know we're on the right path. 

I see Leeds are in 3rd place (top playoff spot) in Championship.  I really hope they make it back up.  In the 90s, they were great fun to watch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If you had to deal with them at the match you wouldn't. 

Horrible gang of lads that have never moved on from the dark ages. 

Hail. 

I believe you as I have heard similar things on other forums.

My post only reflected my EPL viewership during the 90s and early 2000.  The games weren't available on regular TV and I didn't get to watch them very much.  The occasional match was shown on ESPN or some other channel, but not much.  Luckily, I had a local channel that showed the EPL Highlight show every Monday evening, 9-11.  It showcased one match, taking up about 45 minutes or so with extended highlights and commentary.  After that, the remaining game highlights were shown.  Leeds was a fun side to watch back then as they scored lots of goals.  Luckily I didn't have to deal with any of their supporters.

Hope you and your's have a great weekend.

It's lashing down with rain. It's freezing cold as it has been all week here. And L'pool are in a real funk. Do I have to go out to the match? 

Wolves have a 20 year old 2 game 'keeper in nets today. Behind a bang average Champiomship side that you know will defend deep and hit it long in the classic Morin ..... uhmmm, I mean Lambert style. All things considered it should be the perfect antidote to get back on track before the must win season defined Tuesday. But right here, right now you can't take anything for granted with this side. At least the managers still upbeat and 100% confident in what we're doing so there is that. Hopefully he goes real strong today. Not because we need that to win per se. Just these lads need to remember how to win footie games again.

The worst kickoff time there is won't help at all but hopefully the 9K or so Wolves lads will spark us into an atmosphere that was much better Wednesday but still way too nervy. We're as important as any player on the park and need to start playing our part again in helping them back to confidence. As disappointing as Wednesday was, there still a double at play here but that is predicated on the next 4 MASSIVE days. Starting today. 

We are L'pool and we have a lot to still play for this year! 3-0.

I'm off out to get wet with these lads of ours.

Up the Rebounding Reds!

Hail.

looks like a replay of the last 7 games... tons of toothless possession, no shots on goal, giving up a goal on a set play and on a break.  EVERY team should park the bus vs. 'pool.  they can't break it down and are content to pass it around the top of the box.  the only excitement in today's game is from the wolves....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dchogs said:

looks like a replay of the last 7 games... tons of toothless possession, no shots on goal, giving up a goal on a set play and on a break.  EVERY team should park the bus vs. 'pool.  they can't break it down and are content to pass it around the top of the box.  the only excitement in today's game is from the wolves....

This has always been the problem with Klopp football. They thrive on end to end chaos. When you sit deep and give them the football and ask them to break you down, it's found lacking.

It was his issue at Dortmund.

It's hard, in general, to play against sides with 10 behind the ball.  That's why it's such a useful tactic.  It doesn't necessarily turn the game into a coin flip, but it increases dramatically the importance of set pieces and counters, and pretty much eliminates possession as a meaningful stat.  its such a useful tactic in fact that a lot of big clubs use it even when they don't really have to.  They'll sit behind the ball just to "feel out the opposition" and hope to catch them on a counter or something.  It's what Chelsea did in 15 and even as a rabid fan, it could get boring.  But hey, it works.  

And the the worst part about it is there isn't much an opposing manager can do about it.  It's up to the players and their chemistry with one another to play enough balls quick enough in tight spaces to break down a packed defense.  Usually that's why typically the best teams at breaking down a parked bus play in Spain.  Tiki taka is the best tactic 

Edited by SkinssRvA

I'll post on the manager and his ****ed up selection when I'm home but for as ****e as we've been January, piss poor officiating has cost us dear. Sunderland we win if Taylor doesn't give a bollocks free kick leading to the penalty equaliser. Utd we win if not for a knobhead lino behind the play missing the offside equaliser. That has us 6 points behind Chelsea going into Tuesdays game. Southampton we have a blatant hand ball penalty missed and one cup goes. And today we have another missed offside goal and we're out of another cup. Was it a penalty on Woodburn? Looked a stonewaller. If it wasn't, why not book him for diving? Except it was Pawson who was a big a disgrace as the XI in red today. 

Now thats not to absolve L'pool at all but it's massively relative to how this month has gone.

Hail.

Reading a lot since I got in on how other sides have figured out how to play this L'pool side. It's not so much that as it's how this sides style has inexplicably changed. And that's the key issue that's underpinning everything. Formations/ tactics can change but your core style you go with to what players you have the start the year sees you through. And we've gone from the fast paced, free flowing, interchanging side that was the best in Europe the late summer/ autumn, to the one now that's completely lacking confidence to do any of that. The passing is pedestrian. The movement's non-existent to the point of been static. The players are taking too many touches on the ball which in turn slows everything down and allows the opposition to get back into position. We aren't getting near enough the amount of bodies forward of late we were the first quarter of the season. And to compound it all, the fight has completely gone out of the side. Wolves, ****ing WOLVES, were winning every 50/50 today whilst we **** out. We just didn't compete at all. There's no leaders right now among the senior players to be a Gerrard and get ****ing gnarly with everyone. Players who want to WIN! Be a ****ing man and take responsibility out there! We learnt quickly from Burnley the second game of the year and comfortably dispatched low block teams. But now, for some inexplicable reason, that's all stopped. Key injuries that would have decimated any top 6 side outside save for the two Manchester clubs haven't helped. But the whole change to our style of play is the key issue on the park. Teams aren't so much getting wise to us as L'pool have stopped believing fully/ doing their tried and trusted method. We need to get back to that and fast! Do that, and there's still plenty to go at the second half the year. Don't, and the season will become just a top 4 battle come Wednesday morning. 

One thing I'm getting MASSIVELY pissed off with is foreign players/ managers devaluing the FA Cup. Utd ****ing started this ****e when they took the disgraceful step to pull out back in 2000 using the FA as an excuse. And ever since, clubs have run with 'if it's all right for Utd ..... ' and devalued it. FFS, today meant EVERY bit as much as Tuesday and Chelsea does to US. You won't get many in the ground on an ugly day that today was weather wise saying they aren't arsed about the FA Cup. We LOVE IT! And the frigging manager, after turning around yesterday and saying he wouldn't make "10" changes, went and made NINE ****ing changes and sent out a ridiculous side. Connor frigging Randall can't even get in our U-23 side on a regular basis. Where was Matip? We (rightly) make a big song and dance over the Cameroon/ FIFA bollocks, and then rest him after ONE frigging game! Yet again we have a midfield three I'd fancy my chances moving faster than. Outside of Firmino and Wijnaldum, who were both piss poor when they should of been senior leaders, you've not one player who'd be a first team regular if everyone's fit. If you're gonna' play the likes of Woodburn, Ejaria and Gomez, augment that with quality experience! Klopp got this one badly, BADLY wrong. And fair play to him, he's held his hand up, said it was utter ****e, and accepted 100% responsibility for it. But it doesn't alter the fact Liverpool as a club devalued the best knockout cup competition in the World today. When there was absolutely NO need. 

For all the talk of a lack of a winger. We have a replacement for Sadio. Just he's been injured until just before Chrimbo and is nowhere near fit. Sheyi Ojo. Someone by me mentioned Redmond today. Where would he of played this year? Mané, Firmino and Coutinho were undroppable every game until this slump. He wouldn't of gotten anywhere near the minutes he has for Southampton. 

Utterly pissed off with a lot of things right now. I love Klopp to death but he can go do one this weekend after that side. The senior players who were out there can do the same. Not the youngsters. Gomez was shockingly bad but but it shouldn't be on the shoulders of a Gomez or a Woodburn. And Craig ****ing Pawson can disappear off the face of the ****ing Earth. Absolute disgrace that fella'. 

We should of gone more or less the same side that played Wednesday for me to get some momentum for Tuesday. Now, everyone at the football club is completely down and I don't know how that confidence rises for that crucial game.

We're either waking up Wednesday morning right back in a title race. Or we're waking up with season that promised the Earth reduced to a top 4 place and nothing else. 

I just hope I can go to sleep on Tuesday night to be able to face the only acceptable one of those options. 

Oh, as a sidenote, why is it every set of complete bellends from absolute, deprived ****holes, sing loudest about 'Signing on' and 'L'pool slums?' Like Wolverhampton is all in gainful employment and living in palatial surroundings. Frigging think will yer dickheads before yers open yer ignorant grids! 

Congratulations Wolves. Absolute abysmal bag of ****e L'pool.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Nice to see Bayern get another win vs a bogey team. Bremen is a tough win in their home and good win for Bayern.  Sad to see Pizarro leave the match in the first half with a leg injury.

This team shows how to beat a team that plays with 9-10 behind the ball.  Go at them full stride, and then if the goals don't come, get them full out on a  counter.  An Alaba highlight goal doesn't hurt.  

Still alive for the Treble.

Mia San Mia

Edited by btfoom

Morning gents,

Klopp putting it all on the league like you said, bro.

I also think by playing that 11 he did yesterday that HOPEFULLY he is internally and externally conceding that he needs talent.  Can only coach up and develop so much.  Have to have talent to break down the teams that want to sit back and park those buses.

Didn't get to watch the Wolves tie but I'll be watching Chelsea on Tuesday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DC9 said:

Morning gents,

I also think by playing that 11 he did yesterday that HOPEFULLY he is internally and externally conceding that he needs talent.  Can only coach up and develop so much.  Have to have talent to break down the teams that want to sit back and park those buses.

Didn't get to watch the Wolves tie but I'll be watching Chelsea on Tuesday.

Don't believe we don't have the talent. We're just low on confidence and in a horrendous run of form. 

Calling it now. We beat Chelsea. We win the league. We don't, we're in a scrap to even get top 4. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why Sheyi Ojo is currently playing for the 23's and wasn't even on the bench yesterday? Let alone that there's a strong case to say the only genuine, pacey winger not called Mané in the squad should of started. 

Granted I'm not privy to what he may or may not of showed in training. But I don't understand the decision on that one. Shrugs.

Hail. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I don't understand why Sheyi Ojo is currently playing for the 23's and wasn't even on the bench yesterday? Let alone that there's a strong case to say the only genuine, pacey winger not called Mané in the squad should of started. 

Granted I'm not privy to what he may or may not of showed in training. But I don't understand the decision on that one. Shrugs.

Hail. 

I'm with you. He looked the far more threatening option in his stints during the earlier cup matches than Ejaria, or even Woodburn. I DID like what I saw from young Ben though.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

Just now, Long n Left said:

I'm with you. He looked the far more threatening option in his stints during the league cup than Ejaria, or even Woodburn. I DID like what I saw from young Ben though.

Personally thought Ben was the only player to come out with any credit yesterday. 

We should of utilised him way more. He was in acres of space most all the second half out the right and they continually looked inside or the other way. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Personally thought Ben was the only player to come out with any credit yesterday. 

We should of utilised him way more. He was in acres of space most all the second half out the right and they continually looked inside or the other way. 

Hail. 

Yelled at the TV couple times when he had all day deep in the attack, but Danny or Can would pull the ball into the packed box.

Ben seems to have a good knack for the service from wide, too. Far better than what I've seen from TAA, and those Alby corners were getting me red-faced.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Don't believe we don't have the talent. We're just low on confidence and in a horrendous run of form. 

Calling it now. We beat Chelsea. We win the league. We don't, we're in a scrap to even get top 4. 

Hail. 

I don't think we have the talent, man.  Not in the midfield.  Honestly Can has floored me with his regression and Henderson was never good except for that one out of 100 play he'd make every 3rd or 4th game.  They're both fine playing defensively but not together (I agree with Carra on that one).

But as much of a help and as much space as Mane has opened up for everyone, he's also made the midfield (save for Coutinho) pretty lazy because he's almost always the outlet over there.  They get the ball the space behind their left back is almost always the target and then he hits it first time at the cross or takes a couple of touches and hits the trailer.  That also opens up space for Phil or whomever else later in the game.  Sadio isn't always involved, and actually cost us goals most of the month of December, but that one threat opens up a lot of space in the attack.

I'm fine with the tactics but the execution is lacking. 

And I don't believe it's "his style to lose those games," like Benning road said at all... Dortmund had no problem breaking teams down.  They just lost to Bayern, who have bench players that would start for most teams in the world.

He's going to have to upgrade the talent.  It is what it is.  And I'm not talking swooping changes, I'm talking about 2 to 3 creative players.  Right now, as I mentioned earlier in the season, we have a lot of players with experience and we have a lot of players that are raw.  We don't have a lot of tweeners that are young and have SOME experience.  That's the dude we need to get.  I'm sure Grujic would be getting more time right now if he were healthy.

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

I don't understand why he's always on the right when his best service comes from the left.  Almost every assist in the PL has been off the left.  I guess we want to keep things as status quo as possible, just to replace one piece instead of two or more to get Ojo on the left.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DC9 said:

No way, that's an excuse :nono: Klopp dropped the ball the last couple of weeks and got a wake up call.

I agree with GHH that you beat Chelsea. Set up for a nailed on home win.

• Like 2