Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does this team refuse to add a top performing WR?

Drew_Fl

Why wouldn't a young, tall, speedy pro bowl receiver be worth a 1st or 2nd round pick?

Gee, the Cowboys said the same thing when they got Roy Williams. We see how that worked out.

How about this, we let a receiver have more than 1 good year before we start shelling out anything for them.

How about this, we let a receiver have more than 1 good year before we start shelling out anything for them.

Or we actually give our receivers a chance to shine instead of saying "the sky is falling!" because we've been in a Zorn offense the past two years?

Or we actually give our receivers a chance to shine instead of saying "the sky is falling!" because we've been in a Zorn offense the past two years?

Not only Zorn, but Jason "short bus" Campbell isn't making the throws now.

Remember when Roddy White was one of the "crappy WRs" that Michael Vick had on the Falcons (according to the fans). Then come along a REAL QB (matt ryan), and he blew up to be a all-pro talent. Amazing how that works.

It's kinda funny. People want to give up on our receivers after 2 years, and go out and sign other players who took 3 to 4 years to start producing :ols:

And don't forget we need to trade our draft picks to get those receivers. You know those draft picks where you can get offensive lineman that protect the quarterback that throws to the receiver. Because you know if we had Andre Johnson or Wes Welker last year we would have had a 1500 yard receiver last year.:ols:

Come on people. Its all about protecting the quarterback and giving him time to throw. Oh yeah and having a guy who isn't scared to throw the ball downfield and doesn't get sacked 43 times.(The only guys who had more sacks against held on the ball for a long time and were not afraid to throw the ball downfield)

And don't forget we need to trade our draft picks to get those receivers. You know those draft picks where you can get offensive lineman that protect the quarterback that throws to the receiver. Because you know if we had Andre Johnson or Wes Welker last year we would have had a 1500 yard receiver last year.:ols:

Come on people. Its all about protecting the quarterback and giving him time to throw. Oh yeah and having a guy who isn't scared to throw the ball downfield and doesn't get sacked 43 times.(The only guys who had more sacks against held on the ball for a long time and were not afraid to throw the ball downfield)

You are wise beyond your years. You'll notice that the majority of posters whining about needing a WR have an age that starts with a "2" or a "1".

A great WR will only be good, or possibly mediocre on a team with a bad qb and bad o line. However, an average WR can be good on a team that has a decent QB who is well protected. Worry about that stuff first (which our Front Office appears to be doing) and THEN add the WR when everything else is in place.

Only AJ had proven anything before Kyle while NONE of the guys were anything until Mike. Rod Smith came of the trash heap, Javon Walker was coming off injury and had grown up with Brett Farve throwing to him and guys like Driver helping him get single coverage, Brandon Marshall was a mid-round pick who was developed by Mike.

Seeing how Mike never inherited anyone, it'll be interesting to see whether he fully develops DT or if he reaches outside the organization this year or next....

Remember when Roddy White was one of the "crappy WRs" that Michael Vick had on the Falcons (according to the fans). Then come along a REAL QB (matt ryan), and he blew up to be a all-pro talent. Amazing how that works.

Actually Roddy White blew up before a real QB came along, posting a 1200 yard season with Joey Harrington and Chris Redman throwing to him.

You are wise beyond your years. You'll notice that the majority of posters whining about needing a WR have an age that starts with a "2" or a "1".

It sounds like you have a bad case of confirmation bias.

Shows you how awful Michael Vick really was then. :ols:

Now, now... let's not knock Vick for his inability to throw the ball. After all, that's what won me a bet against another ES member who thought the Vick-Lelie hookup would be magical :ols:

I think Santana is still explosive, and you have two 3rd year receivers who have something to prove. Ok make that 1 1/2 since Kelly is not on the field yet but they still have something to prove. It is typically the 3rd year before receivers make an impact in the league and I think Thomas is capable of that and think Kelly could if he stayed healthy. The guy has great hands.

The ONLY receiver out there available that could possibly help is V Jackson and technically he is not available. Donovan has never really had great receivers and look what he done in Philly. I think he has more weapons here than he did there. Let's just wait and see.

But none as bad as Spurrier releasing Stephen Davis to bring in Trung Candidate.

Releasing? Didn't we ****ing trade a draft pick for Trung? Bull**** ass circus.

My bitterness is part of the healing process

The only thing that concerns me as that both Mike and his son have both succeeded with an elite wide receiver to anchor the receiving corps. I really don't think Santana Moss can be that guy.

Moss is money. In Kyle's offense, expect him to ball. Our whole offense will be fire this year.

In regards to V.Jackson. If we land him, it will be on the cheap. In Bruce I trust, and so should you.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Santana is still explosive, and you have two 3rd year receivers who have something to prove. Ok make that 1 1/2 since Kelly is not on the field yet but they still have something to prove. It is typically the 3rd year before receivers make an impact in the league and I think Thomas is capable of that and think Kelly could if he stayed healthy. The guy has great hands.

The ONLY receiver out there available that could possibly help is V Jackson and technically he is not available. Donovan has never really had great receivers and look what he done in Philly. I think he has more weapons here than he did there. Let's just wait and see.

Not sure what your talking about...Donovan had TO, Desean Jackson (which in my opinion is an ELITE reciever). I am exremely nervous about our WR core, especially since the younger guys are looking more and more like busts. DT has some higlights, but from day one I was against the Kelly pick.

If a 38 year old receiver can beat these guys out on the depth chart, then you know we have problems.

What trade value do you think Thomas and Kelly have?

It seems that Shanny is not impressed w/ either guy. Would Thomas, Kelly and a 3rd rounder be enough to pry Vincent Jackson from SD???

Nope

Yeah SD will want a 1 or a 2 and a 3 and Thomas or Kelly would only change the inital value slightly if they were included.

It seems that Shanny is not impressed w/ either guy. Would Thomas, Kelly and a 3rd rounder be enough to pry Vincent Jackson from SD???

I wonder if the Chargers were looking to trade Jackson after his second year?

Not sure what your talking about...Donovan had TO, Desean Jackson (which in my opinion is an ELITE reciever). I am exremely nervous about our WR core, especially since the younger guys are looking more and more like busts. DT has some higlights, but from day one I was against the Kelly pick.

If a 38 year old receiver can beat these guys out on the depth chart, then you know we have problems.

I don't think he's referrring to last year....for the majority of Mcnabb's career he had WR's like Reggie Brown, Todd Pinkston, and Freddie Mitchell. I think he can make a go with what we have.

I wonder if the Chargers were looking to trade Jackson after his second year?

I would love for Thomas and Kelly to stay and play, but it just seems like there is a lot of hinting going on that Shanny is not impressed w/ either one. I would rather the Skins get something for them, instead of just cutting them. Really just wondering what we could get for them...

Nope

Agree. Alex Smith won't give up Jackson for anything less than a 1st.

When your 4-12, its going to take time to have all the right pieces in place (granted Shanny had acquired couple old guys which tells people that he is trying to win now). But getting Jackson won't make us better and giving up a 1st in next years draft may be costly.

Vinny is that you?

Patience is key here. The Skins have obviously made some phone calls about VJax.

Let's wait for value play and not mortgage the future, mmmkay?

Snarky comments like this is why many stay off of this board. The OP made a logical point that is by anyone's account accurate and you have to try and belittle him. Who said ANYTHING about mortgaging the future, do you really think that our wr's have much future in them?? If so what has led you to believe this?? We have not had a true # 1 receiver since Henry Ellard(sp?) was here. Sure Westbrook had a good year and Moss has had some big GAMES but no game after game performers to speak of.

I know I am a NNT guy ( not sure even how I became one years ago) and you will disregard my point but how about giving the snark fest a rest for a while?

I'm not sure I would trade much for VJ right now. Per the link below, it looks like he may be available as a FA next year, when we wouldn't have to give up anything. I don't think we're SB contenders this year, so we may as well wait.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/2.php

Vincent Jackson "not a part of the plan" in San Diego

Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2010 6:52 PM ET

With any NFL team, it's hard to know where the B.S. stops and the truth begins. In San Diego, there's plenty of B.S. coming from the man known as A.J. But the Chargers' General Manager also appears ready to follow through on the protracted poker hand that he has been playing with left tackle Marcus McNeill and receiver Vincent Jackson.

As to Jackson specifically, it appears that the Chargers plan to squat on him indefinitely.

In a mailbag column for the San Diego Union-Tribune, Kevin Acee suggests that McNeill could eventually get a long term deal. Not so for Jackson.

"Vincent Jackson is not a part of the plan," Acee writes. " I don't see them using the franchise [tag] on Jackson either. Not now. This has gotten ugly."

With Jackson suspended for the first three games of the season and unlikely to show up and sign his dramatically reduced restricted free agency tender before that, the question becomes whether he'll sign at some point after the suspension ends and before Week 10, after which time he won't be able to play at all in 2010.

If he doesn't show up by Week 10, the Chargers will hold the same rights to him in 2011 that they held in 2010. Jackson's only path out of San Diego, short of a trade, lies in showing up by Week 10, earning a year of credit toward free agency, and then hoping to get out of town next year. (Since he's not under contract, Jackson can show up after August 10 and still earn a year of credit toward free agency.)

So while Acee thinks there's little chance of Jackson showing up for six weeks and making roughly $200,000, the fact that he'll be right back where he is right now if he doesn't show up by Week 10 makes it likely, in our view, that he'll come in by Week 10, get his year of credit, and hope to be able to get out come next year.

And if the Chargers truly aren't interested in signing Jackson to a long-term deal, why don't the Chargers trade him? For a team that has postseason aspirations and, presumably, a desire to win games once they get there (for a change), it makes sense to get something for him before he shows up in November, goes through the motions for six weeks, and then walks away.

I still think it was a big mistake not to trade for Brandon Marshall in the offseason. I know he went for two seconds, and our second round pick was traded for McNabb. However, by all reports, Marshall has been an absolute stud thus far in Miami's training camp, is a proven regular season stud and is young. It's a sin to say so around these boards, but Marshall would have been worth our 2011 1st.

Archived