Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Page 2 - Wiley says Gibbs better than Parcells

frankbones

Here is the link,

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/wiley/030820.html

It's his NFC preview, not much about the skins, but this paragraph gave me a smile from ear to ear:

Bill Parcells is a good coach, a very good coach, but is he better than, say, Joe Gibbs? Personally, I don't think so. Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks, Parcells won two Super Bowls with two. Don't even bring up Bill Walsh. Don't even go there. True, Parcells doesn't suffer fools gladly, and that's admirable, he gets points for that, but he's not Vince Lombardi just because he coached in New York City and lit up some nerds who happen to ask dumb questions at a press conference. There was more to Vince Lombardi than being a bully. Parcells will see how the other half lives this year. When you sign RB Adrian Murrell off the dead pool -- not a good sign. When your starting RB, Tony Hambrick, faints when he gets beyond four yards past the line of scrimmage, because of the unexpected altitude, it'll be a long year. When your fate is in the hands of Q Carter, and that's a big step up from C Hutchinson -- well, in a hundred years, who's gonna care?

:notworthy

Isn't that Chuck KnoLL you're referring to?

Team full of hall of famers? Yeah, no bias involved in that one. The Skins had a bunch of HoFers too, but the press doesn't seem to masturbate to their memory they way they do the Steelers teams. Four SBs or not, I refuse to believe that damn near half the starting roster of the Steelers teams were HoFers.

My top 3: Lombardi, Landry, and Kotite.

Sorry, just kidding about Landry.

Seriously, Parcells gets points because he turned around 3 teams, although 'only' one of them won a Supe. And he won the Supe with two different QBs and got to another one with a third (but Gibbs being able to win 3 Super Bowls with three QBs is very impressive). Parcells also gets points for being able to do it in both the old era and the free agency era. Another thing I respect about him is that he didn't just ride the team for what it's worth and then leave; he left the Pats and Jets in really good shape (although I think the Giants were sort of creaky after that second Super Bowl win).

As to whether he was better than Gibbs, I don't know. I like how Gibbs was able to win without insulting and yelling at his players, how he was a genuinely nice guy, and how when he left, he left.

In the end, I guess a slight edge to Parcells because he did well in varying conditions (3 different teams and in both non-FA and FA eras.)

Originally posted by GhostofWoodsonReturns

Isn't that Chuck KnoLL you're referring to?

Team full of hall of famers? Yeah, no bias involved in that one. The Skins had a bunch of HoFers too, but the press doesn't seem to masturbate to their memory they way they do the Steelers teams. Four SBs or not, I refuse to believe that damn near half the starting roster of the Steelers teams were HoFers.

Let me see 2 WR's a QB, RB, couple of OL, the entire DL, couple of LB's and maybe a DB or two don't know for sure. A lot more then we had or will have.

The steelers were loaded with HoFers. They also won 2 back to backs, which we didn't do.

Originally posted by jbooma

ahead of Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi, or Chuck Knox,

I wouldn't go that far just yet. Top 5 maybe but not #2

Joe Gibbs isn't ahead of Vince Lombardi, but I would put the two of them #1 and #2 and here is why............

Joe Gibbs did something NO OTHER NFL COACH has ever done, which is win THREE SUPER BOWL TITLES with THREE DIFFRENT STARTING QBs.

That shows that it was clearly his system that got the job done.

The thing about Parcells is despite his greatness, he can't seem to get out of his own way sometimes. The year he took the Pats to the SB the only story of the week was about Parcells leaving. No wonder they got crushed. And during that final 8-8 season with the Jets, every fan and his mother knew Parcells was going to quit.

Gibbs never sacrificed the team for the spotlight. When his teams got into the playoffs there was ALWAYS a chance they'd take the whole thing. I don't really get that impression with Parcells.

And if you are going to give it up for Parcells simply because he won in different eras, you have to say he's better than Lombardi and Walsh too. Heck Then let's say Vermiel is a better coach than any of those guys also, as he took two different teams of two different eras to the SB.

Originally posted by TC4

Joe Gibbs isn't ahead of Vince Lombardi, but I would put the two of them #1 and #2 and here is why............

Joe Gibbs did something NO OTHER NFL COACH has ever done, which is win THREE SUPER BOWL TITLES with THREE DIFFRENT STARTING QBs.

That shows that it was clearly his system that got the job done.

TC4 I agree with you but is 3 superbowls better than 4?? We won all those superbowls because of the hogs not the QB play.

Archived