Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Solar Powered Night Flight: Piloted Solar Plane Flies For 26 Straight Hours

mjah

Very cool. I wonder how close to practical it is. How fast can it go? How much can it lift? How maneuverable is it? (I suspect comercially it would have a gas back up for a while) but I think stuff like this is really cool.

Okay, read the article. Still pretty cool. Not a comercial project as yet, but still very cool. A solar powered plane that weighs about as much as your car would be a pretty cool tool for a family vacation.

Amazed that such a thing is possible. When I clicked on the link, I was expecting to see that what it really was, was a blimp with a solar motor.

No, I don't think anybody ever expects solar aviation to catch on. It's simply one of those "prove that it can be done" things. Still, even in that context, I'm impressed.

No, I don't think anybody ever expects solar aviation to catch on. It's simply one of those "prove that it can be done" things. Still, even in that context, I'm impressed.

Why couldn't we have dual use planes? Maybe a fuel backup if something were to go wrong. Or, maybe the solar kicks in at cruising altitudes when the plane is well above cloud cover, etc.

Imagining the energy and pollution that could be saved by solar powered flight...

How big are you willing to let the roof get? :D

I think you'd have to make it a bit smaller on some of the new models

Archived