Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

About the receiving corps...

darrelgreenie

Parker and Kelly will be cut or traded....they wont be on the team this fall. I expect Westbrook will be signed and we will find another more dedicated young WR from the FA circuit. Both are in the doghouse and cant catch.

Kelly can't catch? Which Kelly are you watching man? Kelly is praised for catching everything near him. Catching the least of his problems. The part of Kelly's game that he needs the most work on is his route running. The best part of having Keenan as our WR coach is that he is a very good teacher for WRs who have need to improve route running. I read an article on him before he signed here where he coached in the East West College All-Star game and it talked about how he excelled at teaching players how to create separation going over the middle.

I think our receivers, backs, TE's and offense in general will be much better than the past two seasons.

Davis, Kelley, and Thomas are all entering year 3, and it seems this is the make or break year for a lot of receivers (see Miles Austin last year). I have a feeling not only will these three be much improved, Cooley, Portis, and Moss will be rejuvenated and have solid years. That makes 6+ (including the other backs / receivers) weapons for McNabb. Add that to an improved O-Line, and I think the Skins will finally start scoring more than 14pts per game! Typically we have been tight on the D side of things, so if the offense can average at least 21pts per game, I think we'll win a lot more than we lose.

I personally think we could possibly have the best WR corps in the NFL given that everyone performs up to their level and expectations. DT is simply a beast. You think DJ can shed tackles when he is hit? NOT a chance. DT CAN and he DOES. DJ is only pure speed. Watch DT and you will see that he has DJ's agility and elusiveness (not necessarily the speed) but he is also VERY strong and has good ability to break tackles which is something special in a WR. WHEN he starts getting thrown to consistently and he is forced to make catches you will see how good he truly is. MK is another beast. I am not very high on him but he can catch very very well and is often described as the best hands on the team. He is slow and cannot get much separation, but he is super tall and can jump too which will be crucial for short yardages and redzone. We will be using him in those necessary possession situations and he will excel at that. If these 2 can live up to the hype and perform at even half of their capabilities we will have a very dangerous tandem. This leaves moss in the slot which he light up the defense there. Not to mention our TE corps.

We are set at WR and i think our Offense this coming season will be a force to be reckoned with... that is if our O-line can perform, which is a very very big IF.

I am with the other guy's in regards to Moss having a great year. I can tell you it was very fustrating to see Moss getting at least 10 yards seperation from the defender and JC either not seeing him, checking down or getting the crap knocked outta him.

With McNasty I think Moss will have an awsome year and everybody will be on his jock.

I'm not convinced that were gonna have the option of having a primary target outside if our te's and moss. I've really been disappointed in the progression of dt and mk and I think Kyle is going to have to get very creative in his playcalling to create big plays for our wrs. The more I think about it the more I see us drafting a wr in the first rd of next years draft, which is loaded with talent at the position.

SEE SIG

AJ Green next year!!

While our receivers are almost the same as last season success of our passing game will rest with our offensive line. Our new QB is experienced, good accuracy, a quick release, and a strong arm and is overall an improvement over last seasons QB. If McKnabb is under the same duress as last years Redskin QB because of the poor offensive line play then our passing game will only be marginally improved.

If our offensive line is able to protect our QB such that he has time to look to his second and third receiver or has time to run a deep pass play then our offense should be much improved.

I think our receivers have good hands, good speed, and can run after the catch; and we have good depth. I believe this group of Redskins receivers may be the best group overall that we have had in a long time and we have a QB who can get them the ball. All we need is adequate protection to have a potent passing attack.

I think the biggest problem with the WRs will be who Shanahan wants to keep. Moss, Kelly, Thomas are locks to me. It will be between the rest of them for the final 2 or 3 spots depending on how many we keep. A couple of guys have had some excellent camps, but's lets put the pads on and play a preseason game before we annoint guys.

My best guess:

Moss, Kelly, Thomas, Galloway, Wade and Armstrong make the roster. Austin and Banks go to the practice squad.

Without a consistent complete WR I don't think a primary target is an option. Houston can target Johnson all game because he can do so many different things. Brandon Marshall while not a game breaker is a reception machine. Kelly, Thomas, and Moss are all different enough WR types that they should all be able to play their role within the offense. McNabb is accustomed to spreading the ball around anyway after the trash he got stuck with in Philly.

I expect Cooley to be the "go to" reciever when we're looking to convert a third down but I don't think we're going to have a #1, #2, #3 as much as we're just going to have 3 WR's. Moss is still probably our best reciever but I'm not sure he is a true #1 at this point in his career to the point we can target him all game like the truly elite recievers allow.

I don't think we're going to have a #1, #2, #3 as much as we're just going to have 3 WR's. Moss is still probably our best reciever but I'm not sure he is a true #1 at this point in his career to the point we can target him all game like the truly elite recievers allow.

Shanahan is going to move everyone around so much that you won't even be able to identify them by their positions on the field either...

Shanahan is going to move everyone around so much that you won't even be able to identify them by their positions on the field either...

This. Kyle will be putting guys in position in to make plays. He'll use formations and combinations of routes to get the target wide open, in a way we've never seen from the Skins.

This year will be an exciting one for the Redskin Nation based on a couple of factors. The biggest would be having both Mike and Kyle Shanahan. Why the Shanahan's? Within the last 4yrs, the Redskins have gone from a conservative run first offense, to a pseudo WCO, to a proven WCO. Both Kyle and Mike love to air it out, but Mike also loves a good running game. So we are going to see a more fun style of football with moments of ground pounding and spectacular aerial displays. Kyle and Mike also give something that will make a difference. They give their QBs the knowledge that they are comfortable and have confidence in them. This will make a difference even to a veteran QB like McNabb.

The receiver corps will do well, how well will be based off of several factors. 1) How well will the O-line take to the zone blocking and will they be able to transition well between runs and passes (two different styles of blocking). 2) The chemistry that the QB is able to form between himself and his receivers. I'm a firm believer in this, and so it seems is McNabb, who is taking extra time to work with his receivers. 3) A running game that is a threat to break one at any time. Yes, I know we've gone back and forth about this, run setting up the pass, pass setting up the run. I don't care which is first or last, the bottom line is the more the defense is unsure about how to defend, the greater will be the opportunity to advance the ball and score. This year the Skins will have two if not three bonafide RBs that are a threat to break one. 4) Sorry Campbell fans, but the upgrade in QB will make a difference as well. For one reason or another, Jason did not air it out, so the passing game never really became a threat. Blame the O-line if you like, I don't care, but it became evident that the pass was never really a threat because we lacked the ability to come from behind and score. The defenses knew all they had to do was stack the box with little outside coverage. 5) Having a defense that probably just got more potent and could be ranked #1 this year, IMHO.

The last reason I think the receivers will do well this year was keyed by an interview that Colt gave. He mentioned how he was more comfortable with the Shanahan offense because it became easier for him. Easier in the sense that the primary receiver is chosen by what the defense gives you. If done right, the offense can never be wrong. The pre snap read, than adjustments with the post snap read will always give the offense the advantage because the defense will always give you an opening that can be exploited.

That's my take on it. I'm looking forward to an exciting season with the passing game and running game just coming alive and exploding. Only wish is that I could be there with you guys watching it live in the stands.

HTTR

Without a consistent complete WR I don't think a primary target is an option. Houston can target Johnson all game because he can do so many different things. Brandon Marshall while not a game breaker is a reception machine. Kelly, Thomas, and Moss are all different enough WR types that they should all be able to play their role within the offense. McNabb is accustomed to spreading the ball around anyway after the trash he got stuck with in Philly.

I don't think Tana is a pure 'hands' catcher and doesn't run the entire route tree but he's proven that he can be a very productive receiver despite his limitations.

Remember in 2005 when Tana had 84 catches for 1,448 and 9 TDs? He was targeted 134 times. He had big time production despite likely facing plenty of double teams b/c there wasn't another receiver opposite to take the pressure off.

McNabb is accustomed to spreading the ball around but i'm talking specifically as it relates to WRs.

And i think McNabb spreading the ball around among many WRs receivers could be a function of not having good WRs.

I've been looking at targets as it relates to production recently and if you look at Philly when they've had an upper echelon or even borderline top tier receivers McNabb has targeted that WR 100 times or more: 2005 TO 127 targets, 2007 Curtis 135, 2008-2009 Jackson 115-112

There is a common perception that in Mike Shanahan offenses the receptions are consolidated rather then spread and i hope that trend continues.

I expect Cooley to be the "go to" reciever when we're looking to convert a third down but I don't think we're going to have a #1, #2, #3 as much as we're just going to have 3 WR's. Moss is still probably our best reciever but I'm not sure he is a true #1 at this point in his career to the point we can target him all game like the truly elite recievers allow.

I agree about Cooley; although in the back of mind i have a feeling that Kelly could become a 1st down maker on 3rd downs.

I hope we only have 3 primaries WRs and that 1 or 2 of those WRs gets a heavy amount of targets.

I agree that Moss is our best receiver right now; but i think that Malcolm Kelly has the potential to become a more complete receiver even though he lacks elite speed. I think he has great body control and focus on the ball which gives him the best hands on the team and can all the routes that Moss can't/doesn't run like the routes over the middle and between the hashes.

Devin is the wildcard for me because he has Moss-like speed and good size but imo he doesn't have have top level body control nor the hands to be an elite receiver.

My point is that i would rather see the WR targets split 50%-35%-15% then 33%-33%-33%.

This. Kyle will be putting guys in position in to make plays. He'll use formations and combinations of routes to get the target wide open, in a way we've never seen from the Skins.

Good point, its something that jumps out when you watch Kyle's offense despite most teans intent to stop Andre Johnson he still routinely got wide effing open.

• 2 months later...

I don't give a monkey booty butt how it works out, so long as we're completing passes and scoring TDs. I will say this...the way I've seen it, since early training camp is something like this (with Donovan at the helm now, it makes a world of a difference). Don't slap a brotha...just my prediction.

Moss---950 rcv yds

Gallaway---500 rcv yds

Armstrong---750+ rcv yds (he'll be a nice sleeper)

Thomas---600+ rcv yds (may missed a few games due to inj)

Cooley--- 700+rcv yards

Davis--- 600+ rcv yds

monkey booty butt

What? :ols:

Moss---950 rcv yds

Gallaway---500 rcv yds

Armstrong---750+ rcv yds (he'll be a nice sleeper)

Thomas---600+ rcv yds (may missed a few games due to inj)

Cooley--- 700+rcv yards

Davis--- 600+ rcv yds

So you think that McNabb will have at least 4,100 yards passing?

Archived