Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

About the receiving corps...

darrelgreenie

Would you like to see primary receiver/s with targets consolidated with 1 or a few receivers like Houston with Johnson as primary (152 targets) next was Walter with (68) and 2008 Denver Marshall(177)/Royal(127) next was Stokley with (80) receiving heavy targets or do you think the targets will be spread more evenly like Philly Jackson (115) Maclin (86) Avant (55) + RBs and TEs.

What would you like to see? Primary targets or comittee?

Are you worried about the receiving corps?

Great QBs make average WRs look fantastic. Peyton can throw to anyone. Favre can make anyone look great.

And McNabb is a great quarterback. Our 2nd rounders from a few years ago were on the verge of being huge busts with JC behind center. With the exception of Davis of course. Now they will develop much more quickly.

Spread it out. Multiple threats would be the dream scenario.

I think McNabb will spread it out, regardless of what I would want. Although, that is what I would want. We don't have a superstar on our team right now, and until we do, spread that ball around. No one has proven dangerous enough to opposing defenses to deserve a specific amount of targets.

Im with McD5 on this one. Spread it out like the Saints.

I am a little worried about our receivers but we haven't seen DT and MK in a real offensive scheme with a real QB. We will find out if these guys have it or if they were just another blunder by Vinny.

What I think: you always want to have one or two go-to guys but beyond that it's best for the ball to be spread around as much as possible. The more weapons--the more people the defense has to worry about, the better.

What will probably actually happen: you gotta look at how receptions were spread around in the past under our QB, OC, and HC...

Eagles stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=phi&year=2009

As everyone knows (and as the stats show, back to 2002), McNabb has always spread the ball around among his receivers. Most people have attributed that to the fact that for much of his career he's been working with a sub-par receiving corps. But even with Desean Jackson in 08-09 and Jackson/Celek in 09, the ball was still spread around fairly evenly.

Texans stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=hou&year=2009

In 2008, with K.Shanny as OC, Andre Johnson had 115 receptions, the next three targets had 70, 60, and 50, and then there was a huge dropoff (19, 13, 12, 11, 11, 3, 3). In 2009, when Kyle was handed playcalling duties, Andre had 101 receptions and the ball was spread around much more evenly for the next biggest targets--53, 44, 40, 38, 27, 26, 20.

Broncos stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=den&year=2006.

M.Shanny wasn't very consistent in how the ball was spread around. In the early 2000's, Rod Smith had around 70-80 receptions every year, then a couple guys had 50-60. Fairly spread around. B.Marshall had 100+ receptions in both 2007 and 2008 (his 2nd and 3rd year). In 07 there was a big dropoff after him, in 08 Eddie Royal had 91 then there was a dropoff.

Based on these stats, it's tough to draw any solid conclusion. I would expect the Shanny's to discover one or two guys they are able to get open a lot (K.Shanny's a mastermind at getting receivers wide open)--Moss and Thomas? And I would expect a dropoff after that. But we gotta keep in mind we have two excellent pass-catching TE's.

Based on that, I'll make an educated guess... Moss will have 80+ receptions, followed by Thomas and Cooley with 70+, then Davis and another receiver (hopefully Kelly) with around 50.

Plenty of you know can dissect/analyze these stats way better than me--thoughts?

Edit: Actually, I'll reverse Thomas and Moss in my prediction. I think this is Devin's year (80+).

What I think: you always want to have one or two go-to guys but beyond that it's best for the ball to be spread around as much as possible. The more weapons--the more people the defense has to worry about, the better.

By what margin would you want to target/establish your primaires?

177 like Brandon Marshall or 115 like DeSean Jackson?

I would like to see our young receivers force fed the rock.

I feel like McNabb is going to establish a chemistry with a specific WR early on. Especially if Moss misses time. I hope that this guy is DT. As dgreenie just said, I'd love to see him force-fed the ball. He's a guy who can do something with the ball every time its in his hands. He just might need the confidence that being the go-to guy would give him.

I'm not convinced that were gonna have the option of having a primary target outside if our te's and moss. I've really been disappointed in the progression of dt and mk and I think Kyle is going to have to get very creative in his playcalling to create big plays for our wrs. The more I think about it the more I see us drafting a wr in the first rd of next years draft, which is loaded with talent at the position.

The receiving corps is just about the last area on this team I'm worried about.

As has been mentioned already, aside from anything else, we have one major, glaring difference in effect to the unit from this season to the last 3 and a half seasons on the field ..... a competent pro QB who'll involve them all, and give them something they've not been used to, a catchable ball on a regular basis. Throw in the Shanahan's calling games, and that's a winner right there.

I fully expect '08's picks to have breakout years in their embryonic careers this time out, (my early tip for next year is for my man Kelly to show why many feel he was the best receiver in that draft, and back up the calculated gamble we took on his knees because of that); and with the added threat of the two bigger guys having to be accounted for, along with Cooley, who could well turn out to be Coach Mikes Shannan Sharpe, and Davis; I can see Moss have a return to the numbers of '05 and become a legit #1 threat again. That dude gets some unjustified stick on here. Yes, he's dropped some balls, but for what difference a QB can make look no further than Scott to Moss in '05. Santana's pace and McNabb's deep ball could well be a thing of beauty.

Throw in an experienced guy in Galloway, and those four, along with the TE's, and maybe even Westbrook if he signs; should have McNabb drooling at his options.

Hail.

From what I can see. It looks like the Redskins will be a pass by commitee team. The best receivers are the two tight ends. And with a solid running game they will open up the short passing game. I don't see a deep threat on this team. So look for short passes over the middle and out of the backfield. As I remember McNabb has always been good at that.

From what I can see. It looks like the Redskins will be a pass by commitee team. The best receivers are the two tight ends. And with a solid running game they will open up the short passing game. I don't see a deep threat on this team. So look for short passes over the middle and out of the backfield. As I remember McNabb has always been good at that.

Actually, a solid running attack that a defense has to account for usually opens up the deep ball, because they have to pull an extra guy into the box. That's why its so amazing that McNabb has had the kind of big-play success that he has over they years, with no running game to be seen.

You don't consider Moss a deep threat? And I also think that DT will prove to be one as well.

Also, if we don't pick up WB, there will be less passes out of hte backfield than Kyle would like, I'm sure.

You don't consider Moss a deep threat? And I also HOPE that DT will prove to be one as well.

I could agree with this statement.

At this point I am not ready to anoint DT as anything other then a pretty boy. He talks a good game through his blogs and interviews but until I see some production on the field or praise from his coaches I remain doubtful. I think Dononvan is going to help but I don't think that he is going to make a night and day difference out of our young WR's like alot of fans seem to think. Moss, Cooley, and Davis were all pretty damn productive under JC while DT and MK were inconsistent if not invisible. The light needs to turn on soon for these two.

I dont really think Moss has it anymore. I could see MK having a better year then DT. I also think that Portis will have many more swing passes out of the backfeild then before. I really dont see us making the long down the field plays till late in the season. Being that the couching staff has to get this O-Line gelling first.

I dont really think Moss has it anymore. I could see MK having a better year then DT. I also think that Portis will have many more swing passes out of the backfeild then before. I really dont see us making the long down the field plays till late in the season. Being that the couching staff has to get this O-Line gelling first.

You may be right about all of that, although I hope that the OL gels much faster than that. I don't think McNabb needs an elite line to make those deep throws, though, as long as teams have to respect our ground game.

I don't think Moss has lost it. I think that JC had a horrendous long ball, and I think that Moss hasn't played with 110% heart the at all times the last year or two. Do I respect him for that? Hell no. But watch him blow up and play like he did in '05 with a real QB throwing him the ball.

I really hope that happens for Moss. I would love to see him back to catching TD's everyweek and breaking that 100 catch mark. I think he's healthy this year and ready to play. I'm hoping that is was just a case of not having a threat on the other side of the field or slot receiver worth a %^#^....!!!!! that had him down.

I really hope that happens for Moss. I would love to see him back to catching TD's everyweek and breaking that 100 catch mark. I think he's healthy this year and ready to play. I'm hoping that is was just a case of not having a threat on the other side of the field or slot receiver worth a %^#^....!!!!! that had him down.

I'm with you there man!

McNabb has always spread it around. If he can make guys like Hank Baskett look half decent we should be okay.

That's one of the things McNabb has been known for. So considering this, I expect Moss, Portis, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Chris Cooley, Willie Parker and others to get receptions during games.

I see play action working a lot better this season. Defensive schemes have to respect McNabb much more than they did Campbell. Let's just hope our boys can hold onto the ball.

Play action works when the other team has to respect your running game, not the other way around. That's why so many say that Campbell will do better in a play-action, run-heavy offense. McNabb won't be the reason that play-action works (except that he's more likely to connect on those throws, but that's another subject entirely).

That's one of the things McNabb has been known for. So considering this, I expect Moss, Portis, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Chris Cooley, Willie Parker and others to get receptions during games.

Parker and Kelly will be cut or traded....they wont be on the team this fall. I expect Westbrook will be signed and we will find another more dedicated young WR from the FA circuit. Both are in the doghouse and cant catch.

I don't buy the suddenly popular notion Skins will rely on the running game to any great extent.

McGrabb is a pure passer ... comfortably gunning from the shotgun 60% of the snaps.

Passing is the trend in NFL ... not running.

Look for Skins to unvail new receivers ... especially from the slot.

Guys like Armstrong, Austin or Wade. One of these will become the Skins' "Eddie Royal."

If Westbrook signs ... there will not be enough balls to go around after Cooley and Davis.

It looks like the Redskins will be a pass by commitee team. The best receivers are the two tight ends.

I agree with you about the TEs i hope the combo of Cooley and Davis will be the be the top or lead the team in combined targets.

But, rather then spread targets over a bunch of receivers Moss, Devin, Kelly, Wade, Galloway, Armstrong etc.

I hope we feature 2 or 3 receivers only and target them a heavily.

And with a solid running game they will open up the short passing game.

Like Conn said, a running game opens up the intermediate and deep passing and the deep/intermediate passing game are the staple of both Mike and Kyles passing games.

I don't see a deep threat on this team.

I think this team has good speed in the WR corps-i don't think a lack of speed is what prevented us from having a 'deep threat'

I recently looked up the speed of the receivers in another forum:

Brandon Banks-the kid is a smurf but can flat out fly-4.37 official/fast time 4.30

Brandon Banks*|*Kansas State,*WR*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Devin Thomas-4.40 official /fast time 4.32 just for reference DeSean Jackson ran a 4.35 official

*Devin Thomas*|*Michigan State,*WR*:*2008 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Santana Moss-4.31 official (2001)

NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage for Pros by Pros - Powered by the Sports Xchange

Joey Galloway-anywhere from 4.20-4.38 can't find official time but in his prime the dude had wheels

NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage for Pros by Pros - Powered by the Sports Xchange

Terrence Austin-4.52 official/4.42 fast time

Terrence Austin*|*UCLA,*WR*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I can't find Armstrong's 40 time but i've heard from reliable people that he's fast 4.3 fast.

So look for short passes over the middle and out of the backfield. As I remember McNabb has always been good at that.

While i'm sure there will be some short passes to the backs, i don't think that will be the staple of the passing game as that hasn't been the Shanahan's focus in the past.

While i agree that McNabb, like most QBs, are good at those relatively easy passes to the backs i don't think McNabb is here to check down to the backs, when you consider his remarkable deep ball accuracy and the Shanahan's penchant to go downfield.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see Cooley and Davis targeted 120+ times (combined)

Then i would like to see a few receivers heavily targeted which could happen with ARE gone we could cut out the 4th receivers targets and spread it between the WR2 and WR3.

Here is a list of the WR targets: Moss-113 ARE-66 Thomas-41 Kelly-38

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=WR&stype=r&runpass=pass&teamid=32&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

going by last years numbers (i'm sure there will be more attempts this year but) 258 targets: i would rather only see 3 receivers get targeted then 4-5 receivers so something like WR1-120 WR2-69 WR3-69 *(but again hopefully there will be more targets for WR2 or WR3)

TE targets: Davis-65 Cooley-41

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=TE&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=32&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Archived