Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tampa Hotel/Resort Recommendations

stoney26

Im planning a trip to Tampa beginning of July and Im looking for recommendations on where to stay. Ive never been before so I know nothing about Tampa except there is a busch gardens that I want to go to. Must be ocean front so I can see the ocean from my balcony and can walk staight to the beach. Would be nice to be downtown so I can walk to the bars. Price doesnt really matter so if anyone has been or lives there that has any ideas and recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

:dallasuck :eaglesuck

Tampa is Gulf side, so I hope you don't mind a little mud in your water ;).

Clearwater is actually where you probably want to look (though the St. Petersburg area, just south of Clearwater, might have some good areas too).

I was planning a trip about 6 months ago to Clearwater, but I ended up going on a cruise instead. Enjoy the fun of travel planning! :gus:

Tampa is Gulf side, so I hope you don't mind a little mud in your water ;).

Clearwater is actually where you probably want to look (though the St. Petersburg area, just south of Clearwater, might have some good areas too).

I was planning a trip about 6 months ago to Clearwater, but I ended up going on a cruise instead. Enjoy the fun of event planning ;)

So do the beaches suck in Tampa? The last time I went to Florida I was like 6. I really want to be right on the beach.

So do the beaches suck in Tampa? The last time I went to Florida I was like 6. I really want to be right on the beach.

Tampa itself doesn't really have beaches:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tampa+fl&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.04407,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Tampa,+Hillsborough,+Florida&ll=27.927081,-82.573242&spn=0.448944,0.878906&z=11

Like someone else said, clearwater beach is probably your best bet for really nice beaches. Further south you get into Indian Rocks, St Pete Beach etc, which are pretty nice but the beaches don't have the really nice powder white sand like Clearwater has... some of them are actually downright shelly.

Damn Clearwater looks sick. Im going to have to do some research. Thanks.

The water is smooth and great to swim in. It's a nice temperature. If you stay at one of the hotels in the area of the link I provided you can walk to restaurants and a few stores.

I think Bush Gardens is about a 30 minute drive.

I live in Clearwater about 5 minutes from the beach. Trust me, if you want the beach, find a hotel on Clearwater Beach and stay there. The Sandpearl is a newer supposedly 5 star property and there is a Hilton about a half a mile to the south of the Sandpearl. Plenty of beach bars, etc.

Bush Gardens is about a 45 minute drive. If you want to go to a theme park, I'd recommend driving to Orlando (1.5 hours) and go to Universal Studios, much more fun.

There are good restaraunts all over the beach, some better than others depending on what you're looking for. There is a new restaraunt and beach bar called Five Five One that has a unique menu and has a great outdoor deck and cabana bar.

I live in Clearwater about 5 minutes from the beach. Trust me, if you want the beach, find a hotel on Clearwater Beach and stay there. The Sandpearl is a newer supposedly 5 star property and there is a Hilton about a half a mile to the south of the Sandpearl. Plenty of beach bars, etc.

Bush Gardens is about a 45 minute drive. If you want to go to a theme park, I'd recommend driving to Orlando (1.5 hours) and go to Universal Studios, much more fun.

There are good restaraunts all over the beach, some better than others depending on what you're looking for. There is a new restaraunt and beach bar called Five Five One that has a unique menu and has a great outdoor deck and cabana bar.

Thank you for the advice! The Sandpearl came up in expedia and thats a little too pricey but it looks amazing.

You're all wrong.

Come further south. Across the Skyway Bridge and go to Anna Maria Island.

Where would I fly into?

Thank you for the advice! The Sandpearl came up in expedia and thats a little too pricey but it looks amazing.

Where would I fly into?

Ahhh the beauty of Anna Maria ISland.

You can fly into Tampa (1 hour drive)

St. Petersburg (45 minute drive)

Sarasota Bradenton (20 minute drive)

Even into Ft Myers if the deal is right (1 hr 20min drive)

Where are you flying from?

Ahhh the beauty of Anna Maria ISland.

You can fly into Tampa (1 hour drive)

St. Petersburg (45 minute drive)

Sarasota Bradenton (20 minute drive)

Even into Ft Myers if the deal is right (1 hr 20min drive)

Where are you flying from?

Reagan National. There is a direct flight from DCA to Sarasota. Do you have any resort or hotel recommendations?

Just me and a girlfriend. I'm 27 she's 25

OK. First and upfront. Anna MAria Island is not a wild party place. If the crazy beach bars and a more "spring break" type atmosphere is what you want. Stick to Clearwater.

If you are looking for a laid back, uncrowded place with great restaurants etc, then AMI is the place.

Tortuga is a great resort. http://www.tortugainn.com/

You also may find a great bungalow to rent.http://www.amisland.com/

When booking, ask the rental agent how close the places are to either Bridge Street or The Sandbar. You want to be able to walk to one of those areas. Give you options for bars and restaurants.

If you go, make sure to eat at The Cortez Kitchen. It's old florida at it's finest with great sameday caught fish and good live entertainment. Plus the ecclectic locals.

Go to Catchers Marina

http://annamariaisland.com/recreation_sports/catchers-marina/

And rent a boat for the day or go across the bridge (into Cortez, not across the skyway again) and rent jetskis.

Free trolley on the island so you can go north and south all day without driving, which is nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Im flying into Tampa and driving to Clearwater. Staying at the Sheraton Sand Key resort July 1-6. Anybody have any nice restaurant recommendations? What about for the 4th? I imagine that Pier 60 place would probably be pretty cool for fireworks. Anyone know anything about this Sheraton Im staying at? Got pretty good reviews on expedia. Is there any cant miss beaches I should think about driving too outside of Clearwater or any cant miss attractions in the Tampa area? Thanks in advance.

Ft DeSoto is a must if you're looking for a relaxing beach away from the partiers. The sand's like talcum powder.

Stop at the Florida Orange Groves and Winery and grab a couple of bottles for the stay. They use everything but grapes. Go south from the Sheraton until you hit the Christmas Store, hang a left, cross the causeway and it's on the right. She'll probably like the Sangria and the Tomato/Jalapeno is something else.

The Conch Republic iin North Redington Beach is decent, great bar food/appetizers (try the fish paste) and the specials are usually solid like grouper tacos and such.

Rent a jet ski on the gulf side and you'll usually see a few dolphins if you get farther south away from all the traffic.

Ft DeSoto is a must if you're looking for a relaxing beach away from the partiers. The sand's like talcum powder.

Stop at the Florida Orange Groves and Winery and grab a couple of bottles for the stay. They use everything but grapes. Go south from the Sheraton until you hit the Christmas Store, hang a left, cross the causeway and it's on the right. She'll probably like the Sangria and the Tomato/Jalapeno is something else.

The Conch Republic iin North Redington Beach is decent, great bar food/appetizers (try the fish paste) and the specials are usually solid like grouper tacos and such.

Rent a jet ski on the gulf side and you'll usually see a few dolphins if you get farther south away from all the traffic.

Thanks man. How far away is that winery from the Sheraton? Also how far is Ft De Soto? You know anything about the Sheraton?

Archived