Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Excited for 2010 looking at McNabb 2009

darrelgreenie

I think we're going to find that the OL is not alot better than it was last year, and that the OL was the big problem last year. When McNabb goes down to another jailbreak rush and is lost for the season, it's gonna be a real eye-opener for alot of people. McNabb got sacked alot behind a much better OL last year with the Eagles. And we still dont really have a running game that can take the pressure off of him.

So, I'm not terribly excited about this upcoming season.

JC holding the ball too long created a lot of those jailbreaks.

The sieve of the offensive line created twice as many of those jailbreaks.

The QB's inability to read a defense and successfully attack defenses downfield is what gave opposing defenses carte blanche to come with the jailbreak.

Competent NFL QBing will do more to relieve pressure than anything.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a legit commitment to the run game will do for McNabb, especially in post season crappy weather games.

Absolutely. I think we are going to have an extremely balanced attack this season, and that is going to pay off big time for McNabb, who has really never had a strong commitment to the running game.

He sure had a lot of time to throw in a lot of those highlights..... We will see how it goes, health is the biggest issue.

One thing that others have mentioned that will make a big deal is that we really should have a pretty solid run game this year. We have a VERY good running back core on our team, forget their age, all of these guys can play at a high level when healthy. Also Shanahan runs the ball VERY well.

I don't think mcnabb is a great qb but if our running game is as good as I think it could be he really could do some big things.

One wild card that will surprise people is Santana Moss, he is aging but is still a LEGIT playmaker. When he gets the ball in space he can be dangerous, getting him the ball often and running the ball well could make this offense a sight to see.

Of course this is the redsksins, so we will undoubtedly find a way to screw it up..

What happens when McNabb gets injured in the first several games? I hope Colt is ready to play and if not we have Grossman..................That said, we'll all get excited and McNabb will have some freak injury and the season will be in the toilet.

Knock on some wood the way you're talking.

I hope Colt beats out Grossman also, that guy scares the heck out of me.

But Kyle S. seems to have confidence in Grossman and i think that guy knows what he's doing.

.....I'd rather they picked up a young QB in the draft. Lets hope someone good is available in 2010 and the Skins have a good draft position to acquire him

Having McNabb actually buys time to draft and groom a QB in the next few years and develop (Rodgers, Kolb, Henne) etc. them behind McNabb.

He sure had a lot of time to throw in a lot of those highlights

I had to go back and watch the highlights again just to make sure, but it didn't seem like he had a lot of time to me.

It looked like he had around 2-3 seconds on most of those plays which is about average but it might seem like a lot of time after watching our OL last year.

There a were a few play where he had more time but there were more plays where he created more time by extending the play.

One wild card that will surprise people is Santana Moss, he is aging but is still a LEGIT playmaker. When he gets the ball in space he can be dangerous, getting him the ball often and running the ball well could make this offense a sight to see.

I wonder who will emerge a deep threat and who will be the go-to receiver?

In Philly it seems like DeSean Jackson was both but i bet Devin Thomas emerges as the deep threat with Tana and Malcolm becomes the go-to receiver.if its not the same person as the deep threat.

OP I'm with you.. I was a Campbell guy too. I thought he just needed time to develop his style and the right offense to play in. But when we got McNabb I was instantly galvanized because he's the right type of QB for this offense and he's already established his style of play.

Just by looking at the video you can list three reasons why we will be better with McNabb.

1. He's seen every defense and can read any defense

2. He has excellent pocket presence

3. He's an accurate deep threat

He's made every receiver better that came through Philly, and that is no coincidence. He will make our core better here too.

I think we're going to find that the OL is not alot better than it was last year, and that the OL was the big problem last year. When McNabb goes down to another jailbreak rush and is lost for the season, it's gonna be a real eye-opener for alot of people. McNabb got sacked alot behind a much better OL last year with the Eagles. And we still dont really have a running game that can take the pressure off of him.

My fear is that we'll have a great offense and bad defense. But our offensive line has a rookie left tackle (a concern), but it's still an improvement over what we had last year. The rest of it does seem shored up, though. We have Artis Hicks or whatever, and Mike Williams is working on fitness and strength this offseason instead of massive weight loss.

Just by looking at the video you can list three reasons why we will be better with McNabb.

2. He has excellent pocket presence

3. He's an accurate deep threat

He's made every receiver better that came through Philly, and that is no coincidence. He will make our core better here too.

Great point he'll be able to give good advance scouting on the defensive tendencies for every team in the division.

McNabb's deep ball accuracy is also going to be huge.

Last year we didn't have a lot time/chances to throw deep so when we couldn't connect it was a huge let down.

McNabb throws one of the best deep balls in the league and Devin Thomas and Tana are going to be able to capitalize.

Of course this is the redsksins, so we will undoubtedly find a way to screw it up..

I would love to see santana moss lighting up other teams D but like you said I believe we would find a way to screw it up saddly. but i personally would like to see kelly emerge this year.

McNabb could be a product of Andy Reids system.

Any QB put in that system does well for some reason.

This is my great fear - not that Shanny's system isn't great; it's just that Eagles QBs end up looking pretty damn good until they head off elsewhere and suck it up.

See Feely, AJ.

Or remember Koy Detmer? Heck, even he looked awesome in Reid's system (well until he broke his arm in the next play).

That said, I'm excited for McNabb if for nothing else, his leadership qualities.

This is my great fear - not that Shanny's system isn't great; it's just that Eagles QBs end up looking pretty damn good until they head off elsewhere and suck it up.

See Feely, AJ.

Or remember Koy Detmer? Heck, even he looked awesome in Reid's system (well until he broke his arm in the next play).

That said, I'm excited for McNabb if for nothing else, his leadership qualities.

Going along with your premise that McNabb might be a product of Reid's 'system'.

Then if Shanahan's system is equal to or even better then Reid system then he should have equal if not greater production.

1. Donovan McNabb moves to Washington: This was the biggest trade of the offseason, and it's the one with the greatest potential to shake up the NFC East. First, we have to assume that McNabb -- who spent 11 years leading the Philadelphia Eagles -- will never be more motivated for a season than he will be for this one. We also have to expect that he'll transition smoothly, because he'll still be playing quarterback for a West Coast offense and he'll be doing it under new head coach Mike Shanahan. Sure, the Redskins still have some questions to figure out at wide receiver. But we also know that McNabb thrived without great personnel at that position during most of his time in Philadelphia.

Our prediction: McNabb stabilizes a dysfunctional locker room and leads the Skins to 10 victories.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=5242011

"That being said, I believe where McNabb went, working under Mike Shanahan, will be an excellent fit. Shanahan is as good as there is when it comes to personnel packages, different formations and dictating matchups in the passing game that allow the QB to be very quick with his decision making."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/06/02/greg.cosell/index.html#ixzz0pktTUww7

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Going along with your premise that McNabb might be a product of Reid's 'system'.

Then if Shanahan's system is equal to or even better then Reid system then he should have equal if not greater production.

Very true and that's my hope.

Will Shanny's system fit in DC? We'll have to wait and see, but I am encouraged by all of the moves he's made so far.

Thats my thought as well. Most (if not all) of those plays on the highlight reel, McNabb had a huge, clean pocket where he could stand flat footed and pick his play. He wont find that here. AT least not yet.

While its exciting to watch him play that well and I hope for the best... I am keeping my expectations realistic. Unless the O-line gels quickly, we wont see those deep pass plays. What we will see is a stunted run game and a quickly injured McNabb.

why is mcnabb all the sudden a great qb? he used to be a choker, injury prone, overrated, and inaccurate as all hell. and this was when he was younger with wheels.

Not to mention... but this wa stated by sme of the same people who used to rip the Iggles apart in ANFL...

Funny how perspective changes people.

If we can protect him we will have an offense that can put up some points.

as far as the music, that is not hip-hop that is some garbage rap. there is a difference.

So it's not natural to rip a guy that is on the team of your division rival but root for him when he's on your team? wow you guys just bring out hidden epiphanies.

Even with his being inaccurate at times, and a superbowl choker, he's still wayyyyyyyyy better than any QB we've had in over a decade.

Most (if not all) of those plays on the highlight reel, McNabb had a huge, clean pocket where he could stand flat footed and pick his play.

I would say that a 1/4 to a 1/3 of those plays were a result of McNabb using his pocket presence to make a play with his legs or using his phenomenal deep ball accuracy.

He wont find that here. AT least not yet.

You have to admit that there were times last year when Bingo Lewis was calling plays that the OL was competent.

So, one has to figure that playcalling was a factor in the OL play.

Also, we've actually had 2 of the 5 worst OT last year.

Clearly Trent Williams and Artis Hicks are an upgrade of their OTs we had last year.

What we will see is a stunted run game and a quickly injured McNabb

Again, you have to factor in the changes.

Unless you think Trent Williams and Artis Hicks aren't upgrades over Levi Jones and an injured Stephon Heyer you have to consider the OL much improved.

Then you have to factor in argueably one of the most effective running schemes/system in recent football.

The Shanahan + Turner combo have almost always produced an effective running game and usually produce a 1,000 yard rusher.

Then you've got to figure a motivated and in shape Portis + Larry Johnson, Willie Parker and maybe Westbrook are an upgrade over a out shape overweight, unmotivated Portis + Betts, Cartwrightt, Ganther and Marcus Mason.

I'm not making any bold predictions i'm just saying there's reason to be excited.

Not to mention... but this wa stated by sme of the same people who used to rip the Iggles apart in ANFL...

Huh?

Our players are always better than they really are, and their players are always worse than they really are. It's not logical, but neither is being a fan some times. Yet we do it all the same.

Archived