Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Songs of Superbowl 17

lizandboys

OK EVERYone, (including my brother the rabid 'Skins fan) thinks I'm crazy. Back in the days of the Hogs, Fun Bunch, Riggins...etc...there were a few songs (played quite a bit on local radio and I KNOW on WMAL, where Sonny, Sam and Frank announced games) that were remakes of top 40 songs. These songs sang of the awesome-ness of the Redskins (Monk's running, etc....) and were songs ONLY a Redskin's fan could love....I can't find them anywhere and no one else remember them...I bet someone here remembers them and may even have a recording to share.

Thanks!

Liz:dallasuck

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but this is still one of my favorite gems. :D

:rotflmao::rotflmao: Man that's even cheesier now to look back on. Up there with the Dolphins aping Hammer with "Can't Touch Us" for reasons why sport and music shouldn't collaborate. (Although I did kinda' like the Bears "Super Bowl Shuffle" back in the mid eighties.).

And I hope someone has some link to what the OP's asking for. I really wana' here those, lol.

Hail.

yea i remember there where 2 or 3 songs that were take offs of top 40 songs. one of them was working our way back to the superbowl. original songs was working my way back to you. cant remember the other two rt off. but they were all song by the redskin players.

i always thought that that was the coolest thing for the players to go out and sing them songs and really got the fans jacked up. wish i could remember what the others where.

the video above was prob. one of the ones i was thinking of.

I've been looking for these for awhile now.

It was called "The Skins Dirt Band," and George Michael used to play them after just about every game in the early 80s.

I believe the band that did the songs were actually members of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, hence the name.

I do not have any of these, but I would love to see/hear them again.

I found a bunch of them on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/ghostofscruff#p/u/13/zRrJdXpoGDQ

This is one I remember even though I was only 7. Great memories. Don't know who ghostofscruff is but he has some great redskins videos.

Brilliant! GREAT find, and thank you to the OP for requesting it.

I shall now go lose myself in ghostofscruffs vids.

Hail.

I have a copy of the origianal cassette with all the songs on it. The Super Bowl song, "The Game" was to the tune of "Fame". They are all great and mention all the best plays of the season.

Some of the songs are:

"Splish Splash" vs. Tampa (during a torrential downpour)

"Shootout at R.F.K." vs. cowboys (NFC Championship)

"Respect" vs. Lions (R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Beat the Lions 123)

"Redskins Do It Again" (to the tune of Another One Bites the Dust)

"Big Bad John"

"The Game" vs. Dolphins (to the tune of Fame)

There was also a good one for the game against Philly and a season recap song... Now I have to go find my copy and also find a cassette player that works lol.

HTTR!!!

AWESOME! I thought this might be the right place...there's one more that I'm not hearing about - def. a top 40 knock off, about Monk running....I'm hoping it's gonna pop into my head one day (maybe I'll hear the original and it'll trigger something...)

Gotta share these w/my diehard 10 year old fan and show him the glory days!

I remember a real cheesy one from 87-88, Bronco Busters to the tune of Ghostbusters. That one got play down here in Richmond. The earlier tunes from Super Bowl XVII I never got to hear.

"A Doug Williams pass adds a touch of class, so what's it gonna be...Bronco Busters!" More cheese than Hickory Farms. :)

Archived