Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN International: Volcano Pacaya Erupts in Guatemala

AsburySkinsFan

This volcano is very close to where we serve with our missions teams. We actually climbed this same volcano back in February. I ask for your thoughts and prayers for all of those in the region.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/05/28/guatemala.volcano/index.html

Video: http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2010/05/28/guatemala.volcano.reporter.killed.noti7

The death toll from the eruption of a volcano in Guatemala has risen to at least three people, an official said Friday. Two villagers from El Bejucal and a reporter from CNN affiliate Noti 7 were killed as a result of Thursday's eruption of the Pacaya volcano, said David de Leon, a spokesman for the national disaster commission.

The three victims were crushed by rocks strewn by the volcano.

Pacaya, located about 15 miles (25 km) south of Guatemala City, began spewing ash and soot about 7 p.m. (9 p.m. ET) Thursday.

Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom declared a state of calamity for 15 days and called for calm as the eruption spread ash over the capital, prompting evacuations and shutting down the city's international airport.

Four people were missing as evacuations continued, the president said.

At least 1,800 people have been placed in shelters after four villages near the volcano were evacuated, de Leon said.

The runway at La Aurora International Airport -- the third busiest airport in Central America in terms of passenger traffic -- was covered with ash and will be closed Friday, Colom said.

About 25 percent of the airport's daily flights had to be diverted to alternative airports after La Aurora was closed around 7:30 p.m., said Monica Monje with Civil Aeronautics.

The states of Guatemala, Escuintla and Sacatepequez were hardest hit. Classes were canceled Friday in Escuintla and Guatemala states, Colom said.

A slight rain that fell over the area mixed with the ash, hindering visibility.

Alejandro Estrada Garcia, a 21-year-old student in Guatemala City, filed a CNN iReport detailing his difficulties.

"I was returning from the university," he said. "It was really hard to drive because the ash was coming down with a bit of rain, so it was kind of muddy and really hard to get off the windshield. I drove with my window open so I could see."

Garcia's dad inspects his ash covered car

Pacaya had been dormant for a century until 1965, when it erupted again. It has been active since.

Its summit has an elevation of 8,373 feet (2,552 meters).

Pacaya from the missions home.

23511_314011856845_540021845_4074225_3012952_n.jpg

The main vent that is now erupting.

12328_317962226845_540021845_4085159_6259121_n.jpg

This was taken from a lava vent on the side of the volcano, not quite at the top main vent.

12328_317962256845_540021845_4085162_192378_n.jpg

I take it that last picture wasn't during this eruption. Those people look way to happy considering the death and destruction being reported.

LOL, yeah well Pacaya has been in a nearly constant state or eruption for years, but when that pic was taken of us in February the eruption was obviously not nearly as violent or severe. :evilg:

I've gotten some reports in from our folks in Guatemala. Everything is covered in an inch or two of ash and the clean up is going to be a pain. The poorest are having to shovel the ash from the roofs of their tin houses to keep them from collapsing. The rain the other night didn't help at all as it turned the ash to a mud. Seems like all of our folks are OK though, but I'm still waiting for some reports regarding some of our sponsor families.

Unfortunately the death toll has risen in Guatemala.

From CNN an amazing sink hole, I would have sworn that it was photoshopped.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/05/31/honduras.storm.emergency/index.html?hpt=T1

t1largsinkholeafpgi.jpg

I also got some more reports from Guatemala, apparently things are pretty crazy in one of the villages where we serve power is slowly coming back online across the country but their infrastructure is much more fragile and will obviously take time to come back online.

Apparently that hole is about 330 feet deep!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6391117.stm

Several houses and at least one lorry have been swallowed by a giant sinkhole in a poor district of Guatemala City.

The hole is said to be more than 100m (330ft) deep. Residents said they had felt the earth shaking and heard loud noises before the houses collapsed.

More than 1,000 homes were evacuated in the area. The national emergency agency said there had not been any casualties.

Officials said the sinkhole had probably been caused by a saturated sewer main.

"I was in my house and I started to hear booming and I heard the earth shaking, and then I realised the houses had collapsed [into the sinkhole]," neighbour Maria Rivas was quoted by the Associated Press as saying.

Officials had initially urged residents to stay at home on Thursday night, but later decided to move them to temporary shelters.

Three people who had officially been declared missing turned up later, national disaster co-ordinator Hugo Hernandez said.

Mayor Alvaro Arzu said the sewers were now being repaired and help was being offered to those affected.

Archived