Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smootwatch!

Ignatius J.

So we all know smoot played another aweful game last night and needs to be replaced immediately by bauman. That much is obvious.

I wasn't watching the game last night though, so I tried to figure out how many catches came against smoot last night, and the number seems to be one catch for 10 yards. Those numbers are inexcusable for a starting corner. Extended to a full half on both corners and we should be expecting our pass D to be giving up 40 yards per game on passes to wide recievers covered by cornerbacks!

Get this guy off the field.

;)

am I missing something?

-DB

LMAO are you crazy dude? Fred Smoot gives up two receptions in 2 games and your complaining replace him LOL! If Smoot was to do that all season then hes a probowler hell you can double that a game and thats a great season.

please tell me you were being sarcastic

and the difference is (in terms of the result)?

and allowing a lot of separation down by the goal line is poor technique........

to be fair....opposing offenses haven't opened their downfield passing games to any great degree, so it's hard to say where he's at.......

Give Smootie time, he will prove to be a guy that got lucky his rookie season, he will be benched before the season is over, he's the worst corner to start on the Skins in my opinion since I started watching all our games in 1971. He couln't tackle me in the open field!

Al,

Perhaps opposing offenses haven't opened their downfield passing games to any great degree due to the coverage of Smoot and Bailey down the field. Smoot did miss a tackle against Davis last week. Bailey missed one on Smith this past week. Things like that happen. It's awfully hard to be seriously critical of what our starting corners have done in the preseason.

The starting corners, (to include Bauman covering the slot), have been one of the few solid spots on the D this year so far. The play on Sat. where Champ split the blockers and made the play NE's RB on that screen was as close to technically perfect as you can get.

Smoot, along with Bailey, were highly successful in 2001 with no pass rush. Last year though we got a number of sacks, it's hard to remember the pass rush being a super strength either, and the corners did a nice job, especially Bailey, and even Smoot until he got hurt a little.

You can have good coverage despite a dominating pass rush. You can get away with lesser corners the better your pass rush is though, there's no doubt about that.

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

I think smoot will do just fine this year...I hope we lock up Bailey and give him about a 15-16 million dollar signing bonus.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to take more than that to get Bailey signed to an extension...we're probably looking at the $17-$19 milliion range, but it still needs to get done, as long as signing Bailey doesn't interfere with re-doing Lavar's deal or any other core players.

My only problem with Smoot is that he usualy goes all out to make the interception and then finds himself in no position to tackle the reciever if he makes the catch. On the other hand, I have seen Bailey miss the occaisional interception because he was making sure his first duty of blocking the pass was successful (reminicient of D.Green). Smoot needs to shut up and cover his guy! I see the same problem with Terrell.

Originally posted by ross3909

My only problem with Smoot is that he usualy goes all out to make the interception and then finds himself in no position to tackle the reciever if he makes the catch. On the other hand, I have seen Bailey miss the occaisional interception because he was making sure his first duty of blocking the pass was successful (reminicient of D.Green). Smoot needs to shut up and cover his guy! I see the same problem with Terrell.

Very true. A cover-corner should almost thing of themself as a goalie. The number one priority is keeping the ball out of the goal (WR). Sometimes I hear people grumble about how Champ doesn't always get the "big plays" but that is also why he is so consistent. He isn't always playing the hot dog and going for the pick. He knows when he needs to just bat it down. The best cover corners don't always get the most picks because they can't if they are covering how they are supposed to.

Smoot will be fine. I think many of us are too critical of his performance last year. The guy was a second year player and M. Lewis demanded a great deal out of his "system". There was no reason that he was locked up against some of the league's best last year. He just wasn't ready for it. However, he is a year wiser and has improved without a doubt...just wait and see

all....I hope he improves over last season and concede that there aint been much happenin. but, much like ourselves, no one is playing the playbook in a wide open fashion. the problem I saw with smootie at every hoime game last year was allowing way too much separation - precisely what he did the other night. he is a tad short of being deion quick-enough to get away with that. recall how many times last season he broke up passes or just missed by leaving his feet, going horizontal and lunging for the ball. It was because his closure wasn't quick enough for the separation he was allowing.

anywho...I hope he does well.

Cornerback is the least of our problems. The problem is that there is only so long even the best db can cover a receiver. If the QB has all day to through someone is going to get beat, it's just that simple. That said, I think our back seven is good enough to allow us to blitz Lavar or another LB enough to hopefully fix the problem. Smoot will be fine. He's an excellent young cover corner. Believe it or not Peter King from SI actually thinks he's a better cover corner than Champ.

fansince,

you asked earlier in the thread about getting beat vs. giving too much room. the answer is that by getting beat, he still made the tackle (or push) to keep from giving up the six.

granted, they scored on the next play, but still take i for what it was, the only pass completed on smoot that went for a whopping ten yards.

-DB

fansince62:

Most of your posts are as arrogant as your handle. I've been a Redskins fan since 1952, but that makes me no more a football or Redskins expert than most of these wonderful fans who post here.

Getting back to point in hand; your quote:

DB...you can't allow that kind of separation down by the goalline. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!!

I have some wonderful, enlightening news for you 62. You can get beat at the goalline or anywhere else by 1/2 step. Face it. You just don't like Freddie Smoot and wax his ass everytime you get a chance:2cents:

Relax ole timer. Smoot has the confidence and ability to cover most #2 receivers in the NFL. Just sit back and enjoy the ride

:cheers:

Archived