Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FanFeedr: Montreal Alouettes General Manager Jim Popp to Skin's as a Personnel Director?

RWJ

The article wasn't talking about much. Just talking about the developing signs that he would leave the franchise, him being a GM of the Bmore Stallions, and reports of him in negotions of extending his expiring contract with the CFL team. No "cold hard facts" that link him to the Skins though...

The article wasn't talking about much. Just talking about the developing signs that he would leave the franchise, him being a GM of the Bmore Stallions, and reports of him in negotions of extending his expiring contract with the CFL team. No "cold hard facts" that link him to the Skins though...

Trying to connect the dots, ala (google.com) with "Jim Popp Shanahan" and there are articles about the 9ers/Trestman/Shanahan. That's about all I could find.

FO_Popp_J_08.jpg

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/page/jim-popp

Jim Popp

Vice President, General Manager,

Director of Football Operations

Director of Player Personnel

2010 - Now in his 15th season as the Alouettes’ General Manager, Popp has built the team into the CFL’s most successful franchise of the last decade-plus. With two championships and seven Grey Cup appearances since 2000, he has been recognized as one of the brightest minds in professional sports – known for his ability to both build expansion teams and rebuild established franchises into winning organizations.

His accomplishments are nonetheless already impressive – he has the best overall record of any CFL general manager over the last 15 years and he led the Alouettes to five consecutive seasons of 12 or more victories (1996-2000), becoming one of only three teams in CFL history to accomplish that feat. Of the three CFL coaches ever to win back-to-back Coach of the Year honours, two did so working with him (Don Matthews 1994-1995 and Charlie Taaffe 1999-2000).

Over the past 18 years in the CFL (two years with Saskatchewan, two with Baltimore, and 14 with Montreal), his teams have appeared in the playoffs every year, appearing in 14 division championships and nine Grey Cups, winning three league championships. Under Popp, the Als have reached the East Division Championship in every season except 2001 and 2007, and have been to seven Grey Cups, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 (as head coach), 2008, and 2009 winning in ’02 and ’09.

Before joining the Alouettes, he served as the Baltimore Stallions’ assistant/only GM and director of player personnel in 1994-95. In 1995, the Stallions established a league record for wins in a season with a combined 18-3 record, including the season, playoffs and Grey Cup. The Stallions won their last 13 games and remain the only American team to have won the Grey Cup. The ‘95 Stallions team had a total of 14 players go on to sign NFL contracts and surprised no one by winning the championship. The 1994 Stallions have the distinction of being the most successful expansion franchise in the history of professional team sports, going 12-6-0, winning the East Division Championship, and appearing in the Grey Cup.

Popp was the Saskatchewan Roughriders' director of player personnel and wide receivers coach under Matthews in 1992-93. The Roughriders had two successful seasons while he was in Saskatchewan, appearing in the playoffs both years. In those two years of building the Roughriders, Saskatchewan enjoyed its best records that lasted for approximately 15 years until their recent success.

Before coming to the CFL, he helped form the Professional Spring Football League in 1992, with which served as the league’s director of player personnel and worked and lived with former NFL Coach Walt Michaels. In 1991, he served as the wide receivers, special teams, and strength and conditioning coach for the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks of the World League of American Football (later known as NFL Europa) under NFL great, Roman Gabriel.

He coached at the collegiate level for five seasons: The Citadel (1988-90) under Charlie Taaffe; North Carolina (1987) under Dick Crum; and Michigan State (1986) under George Perles. He played college football for three seasons at Michigan State (1983-85) under Perles, as a wide receiver and defensive back. His position coaches at Michigan State were Nick Saban (head coach at University of Alabama and former head coach of the Miami Dolphins) and Charlie Baggett (former assistant head coach of the Miami Dolphins and now an assistant coach with the St. Louis Rams).

Popp’s has a deep family background in football life and coaching, as his father, Joe, is a former great athlete from Pennsylvania who became a legendary high school coach in North Carolina. Joe Popp had a tremendous collegiate coaching career, serving at such universities as Wake Forest, North Carolina and Georgia Tech, before moving on to professional football with the World Football League Chicago Winds and later entering the NFL with the Cleveland Browns.

Popp’s motivation to succeed stems from growing up in a hard working, disciplined, and loving family; his mother Peggy, now retired, at one time ran five businesses all at once, including three shoe stores. His brother Joey is a multi-talented TV and radio personality and hosts his own live call-in television show in Charlotte, NC, called “Healthwise.” His sister Karen is a partner with one of the top three law firms in the world, Sidley Austin in Washington, DC, and represents him as his agent. Put this all together and it looks like this: pro sports, business, radio, television, and law - all good models for a man who has to deal with all five aspects in his job.

Born Dec. 21, 1964 in Elkin, NC, Popp is married to Kimberly Hamilton Popp, from Glen Burnie, MD. They have six children, all born in Montreal: three girls; twins Hannah and Hayley, and Ella-Rae; and three boys; Preston, Hudson, and Payton-James. The Popps make their year-round home in Montreal and also own a home in his hometown of Mooresville, NC.

Wow. This guy sure does have one hell of a resume in the CFL. I'd love to see what he can do in the NFL. Give him a shot. Why not?

A name out of the blue and the Trestman connection plus possible ties to Allen make this a possibilitiy.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Lionel Vital would be a way better choice to run the player personnel sector of our franchise. He has worked under Dimitroff, Newsome/DeCosta, Belichick/Pioli, and Parcells. That type of experience and football knowledge is unparalleled in the scouting/player personnel ranks. He has experience scouting for the both the 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. If we want to hit a home run with our personnel department we will do whatever it takes to pry Vital away from the Falcons.

Wow. This guy sure does have one hell of a resume in the CFL. I'd love to see what he can do in the NFL. Give him a shot. Why not?

In the CFL, the Alouettes are considered a dynasty. They have a great record since Popp has been with the team. Having said that, it should be pointed out that in an eight team league, half the teams are seriously dysfunctional.

In the CFL, the Alouettes are considered a dynasty. They have a great record since Popp has been with the team. Having said that, it should be pointed out that in an eight team league, half the teams are seriously dysfunctional.

I know the number of teams in the CFL have shrunk over the years and I'm not saying that his success in the CFL as a personnel guy will mean he'll be successful in the NFL (for the Skins or anyone else) but just strictly going on his resume listed above, it seems he's accomplished all there is to accomplish in the CFL. I think if he's interested in making a jump to the NFL, he has earned that opportunity, even if it isn't with us.

Its additions like this that actually make me optimistic that we are building something at Redskins Park, for a change.

This guy sounds like a winner.

We need as many winners working for the Redskins as possible if we want to turn this leviathan of a ship around.

I know the number of teams in the CFL have shrunk over the years and I'm not saying that his success in the CFL as a personnel guy will mean he'll be successful in the NFL (for the Skins or anyone else) but just strictly going on his resume listed above, it seems he's accomplished all there is to accomplish in the CFL.

I'm sure the scouting in the CFL is much more challenging siince they have less to choose from, talent-wise.

That's a good sign as it may signal that we'll have someone who can identify and help draft lesser known talent.

Trying to connect the dots, ala (google.com) with "Jim Popp Shanahan" and there are articles about the 9ers/Trestman/Shanahan. That's about all I could find.

His sister lives/works in Washington, D.C.

Other than that... some western NFL source linked him to the Redskins... maybe he overheard someone's speculation and thought it was legit.

What would happen with Scott Campbell and/or Morroco Brown?

When does that contract run out... is he still a possiblity to come here?

I'd love this move. Bringing in fresh eyes that have proven to be talented at recognizing...well, talent. This type of move to bring someone from outside the organization, to possibly be our own Ozzie Newsome or Bill Polian, would be an exciting prospect. I know that's getting ahead of myself, but I keep hoping that Allen will bring onboard someone who still has potential to become one of the best 'recognizers' of NFL-caliber talent in the business.

Archived