Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Write your own letter of recommendation?

Slateman

So ... anyone ever had to do it?

Its sort of been hinted that I should write up my own letter of recommendation and give it to a Major to sign. I've never really done anything like this before. I don't even know where to begin.

Essentially, I would like this letter to highlight my experience in helping to run operations for an infantry battalion during the last deployment.

I used to write my own performance reviews along with the reviews for my peers (my boss just knew that I could do it better).

I am sure I could do it pretty easily.

Just sit back for a minute and think about all of the things you do well (There is no shame in being good), but also realize that there is always room for improvement and opportunities/challenges that would make you even better.

You need a balance between confidence and humility.

I used to write my own performance reviews along with the reviews for my peers (my boss just knew that I could do it better).

I am sure I could do it pretty easily.

Just sit back for a minute and think about all of the things you do well (There is no shame in being good), but also realize that there is always room for improvement and opportunities/challenges that would make you even better.

You need a balance between confidence and humility.

Good points. You do walk a fine line between confidence and bragging on yourself too much.

As for where to begin, if you're telling a story...start at the beginning of the infantry battalion story. Might want to tell the story, then go back and talk about your training, skills and background as to why you were able to perform so well. Then tie those things together as to why you're a good candidate for the job/promotion.

Works somewhat for performance reviews, but writing your own letter of rec. seems pretty lazy on the part of the boss. He's not just letting you assess your own value to his own company with the ability to bring his own judgement on it, but what it is to other potential employers, who can't judge it. I'd ask him to write it himself.

Works somewhat for performance reviews, but writing your own letter of rec. seems pretty lazy on the part of the boss. He's not just letting you assess your own value to his own company with the ability to bring his own judgement on it, but what it is to other potential employers, who can't judge it. I'd ask him to write it himself.

I know what you mean. But I knew my value as much as my boss did and his boss did. It was just protocol.

I have been asked to write over a half a dozen recomendation letters. I have, 100% of the time, asked them to write their own and present it to me.

Now -I normally then take that and use it as a templete and make a some changes. But it is pretty standard. Your the one that wants it, you should write it.

I've done on two different occassions. Generally, when writing letters, you should give specific examples and not just be general so try and think of specific examles that the person you are writing the letter for would be aware of.

The first time I did it, the biggest issue I had was essentially bragging about myself. You have to get over that.

I also think it is be useful to ask the person for some relevant numbers. How many people in essentially your equivalent position has the person that you are writing the for interacted with? Where do you rank in terms of percentage with respect to those others (i.e. top 5%, top 10%, etc.)?

If possible, include what the people that he would consider to be your equal gone on to do.

Nothing is more impressive than a letter that states something like, 'I have interacted with X number of people in a similar position as person Y. Person Y ranks in the top Z%, and many others that I would rank similarily have gone on to be very successful in their field, including holding positions as...."

(The higher X and Z, the better the letter.)

Archived