Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: your thoughts on Marty

Does anyone think that we were on the verge of doing something by the end of the 2001 season until Schott got fired? By the end of 2001 I was thinking that we could've gone out and got a good QB we would've been a playoff team in 2002. Hey, we won 8 of our last 11 with Tony Banks so I thought we were on the verge of something good for the next year. What does everyone else think?

I was disappointed in Marty. I expected a disciplined camp, focusing on fundamentals, and expected a bunch of players to complain about it. So, training camp didn't surprise me. (In fact, I thought Dan Snyder was getting what he wanted.)

I expected fewer mistakes. But I think we led the league in pre-snap penalties.

I frankly thought he didn't run the ball enough.

But, despite my disappointments, I would have stuck with him for a second year, simply based on his reputation. (Unless, the coach I'd really wanted, all along, became available.)

If Marty was still here last year,

-Stephen Davis would still be here, but be worn out by now

-Darrell Green would have been cut before last year

-Bruce Smith would have been cut before last year

-Tony Banks would be our QB

- we'd probably have a few more Schottenheimers on the coaching staff

-we'd have Derrius Thompson instead of Coles

-we'd still be 8-8

Marty had too much power and not enough of a clue to give some of it up. Hard to say what would have happened had he reliquished some of the power and stayed but I think he felt he would lose face by doing that so it's probably a moot point.

I'm sure he learned some lessons from his tenure here. Unfortunately, he learned them a little late for us.

Jimbo, man Marty had the scheme to do it, but as DrunkenBoxer pointed out, it was the politics of the personnel Marty wanted and what of course Snyder wanted.

I do agree that Marty put the fight back in the dog, and reset the wheels for something good, pretty much like what George Allen did, before Joe Gibbs arrived.

Although in general I like Marty's old school approach to the game, those first 5 games we played, the way we looked, were absolutely inexcuseable.

I don't know if it was because he didn't connect with the players, if he worked them too hard, or if we just had lousy players. Maybe a little from each.

But good riddance.

Marty finally had things clicking toward the end of the season but we simply weren't a playoff caliber team at the time. I'm fairly certain we would NOT have become one the next year with Marty holding the GM reins.

Granted, he did nice things cap-wise but getting rid of Larry Centers and inserting Tony Banks at QB contradicted other seemingly-wise personnel moves and you can't blame those choices on politics or Snyder. While the Schott brothers had the D playing fairly well, other things were lacking, like the play calling of Jimmy Raye and Marty's devotion to him.

Giving up the GM duties and getting rid of Raye would have made everyone happy (especially the fans, members of this board at the time, and Snyder) except Marty. The potential for him to do good things in Washington was there but his own big head got in the way.

I was MAD AS HELL when we hired him, even more angry when it became obvious he was too much of a jacka$s to adapt to his players strengths, and danced with joy the day Schotferbrains left!!!! Everyone loves to tout 8-3 finish, but you ought to look at the real finish: 3-3 against mediocre teams when the playoff race was on. Marty's entire rep is based on smoke and mirrors - having consistently played in the weakest division in football. It's no coincidence that his regular season records began deteriorating as soon as the AFC stopped being a joke. Eff Marty and his whole friggin family/staff.

JIMBO,

Sorry you misinterpreted what I was saying there dude.

First, I wasn't "blaming" the entire event of Marty's departure on politics, that is why I also mentioned PERSONNEL (Jimmy Raye, Marty's brother, or whomever, even players or those Marty released or refused to sign as an acting GM).

However, politics ALWAYS exist in management, no matter what the business endeavor, otherwise lawyers wouldn't exist. The thing that most likely caused the breakup and again my answer to the thread is Snyder NOT wanting Jimmy Raye and Marty wanting him.

I could also give the OLD and STALE known ALREADY reason YOU, I and anyone else may feel Marty wasn't good for the team, in my answer to you.

Slingin' Sammy maybe isn't aware of all of the previous answers and what YOMAR did was badly needed here. getting caught up in tit for tat Marty crap is contagious. We could all come up with a dozen reasons for what happened, but don't presuppose that an answer given is a vote for or against Marty,as much as what he did for the players, as opposed to why Larry Centers isnt' here or forgetting what it was like under Norv Turner. Or do you remember (better forgotten huh :laugh: )

marty should have been wise enough to give up just enough power to keep his job.he deserved one more yr anyways without j.raye.let's not forget the favor marty did purging the salary cap instead of overpaying for some average QB(I believe dilfer was the best option).some of those signings this offseason were an indirect result of this.

i still believe defence over offence wins superbowls...

Y'know, I'm getting really irritated, every time the Marty Nostalgia Show comes up on Redskins Classic TV, (which seems to be about every 4 months), at the folks who want to write the guy off because he "never won the big one".

So, should the NFL have a rule: Anybody who's been a coach for 10 years and hasn't won the Super Bowl is prohibited from coaching ever again? Is that your sole standard for "good enough"?

(I remember one of those preseason-prediction mags, once, that began their writeup on the Oilers with "Isn't this the team that, five years and four head coaches ago, fired Bum Phillips because the owner wasn't happy with 'just going to the playoffs' every year?")

He's the 12th winningest coach in NFL history. I think both his total wins and his winning percentage are better than Joe Gibbs.

When you're traveling by airplane, do you refuse to get on the plane unless the pilot has walked on the moon? After all, any lesser pilot has shown that he can't win the big one.

Get ticked at him for cutting Larry Centers, or bacause he's old, or because his training camp took too high a toll on the players, or Tony Banks, or some such. But "not winning the Big One" is a joke posing as a reason.

(And, yeah, I wasn't happy with the Centers thing. But, he also gave us a nice show of Deion going from baseball team to team, pleading "Please don't make me go to Camp Marty.") :)

Larry.

It's not just not being able to win the big one - it's not being able to win in the playoffs AT ALL!! 2 - 7!!!! That's his playoff record in the AFC at a time when the AFC was a FRIGGIN' JOKE!!! At least half the teams that made the playoffs in the NFC in those days could've beaten the AFC champion, yet Marty couldn't get anywhere in the postseason. Translation: His teams were always average, nothing more, and his regular season record is grossly inflated by having always played in the weakest division in the weakest conference in football. It's like comparing a 4.0 GPA from a community college versus a 3.0 from Harvard.

Schotferbrains was at best a pale shadow of George Allen, and that's being generous.

My veiw on Marty is in the link Yomar provided.

I thought hiring him was a mistake. He would never have done more than get us to the playoffs. Sorry Larry, but it is a big deal. Why do you think Reid is on the hot seat this year. Hell, the Eagles have the best record over the past three years!!! Yippee!! They should extend his contract for ten more years, right?

No. they shouldn't because after awhile it becomes obvious how far a coach is capable of going. Marty has a great winning percentage and he's won more games than Gibbs. That's really nice, but after 15 years he hasn't even BEEN to the Superbowl? That's more than bad luck. that's Andy Reid times three. That's a track record, and ignoring it is downright foolhardy. The fact that the Redskins, during their legendary 8-3 run looked EXACTLY like every other Marty team didn't lead me to believe that the Redskins would suddenly be the one organization out of three tries that Marty finally succeeded with. He created another undertalented, overachieving team that couldn't keep up with quality, playoff-caliber squads. Joy.

That said, I think once he was hired he should have been given more than a year. If you are going to make a decision, if you are going to choose a path, then walk it. Don't take two steps and change directions. I have to assume Snyder knew what he was getting when he hired Marty. He either should have accepted the results he knew he could expect, or never hired him at all. Which is what I said in the first place.

Yay. He wins a lot of regular season games. His playoff record is laughable. He may have more overall wins than Gibbs, but he also has coached quite a few more years, and unless no one else has said it, SHAME ON YOU for that analogy.

Gibbs could coach rings around Marty, as his 3 Super Bowl trophies attest.

Marty's style is outdated. His teams die. Every team he has ever built DIED. His team here died. Yeah yeah yeah, they picked up the pace and won five after losing five,,, then what did they do? Nothing. They died.

Marty wouldn't hear of it when it was suggested that Jimmy Raye's absolutely predictable offense was a problem. "No WAY" said Mr Ego, "I SAY he's a great offensive coordinator, so he IS, and that is FINAL." (So if he was so enamored of Raye, why didn't he even call him on the phone when he go the SD job? By not calling for Raye, now with the Jets, he PROVED that he knew the guy wasn't worth it, but refused to give in because he would not allow Dan Snyder or ANYbody to question ANYthing he did. And the example with Raye shows exactly the whole thing in microcosm. Raye's offense SUCKED. It was so predictable, my CHILD knew what plays we were going to run. But rather than admit he had made a mistake, or maybe someone with an outside eye could see that it was not working, Marty would rather sink the ENTIRE SHIP than admit a fault. If he had fired Raye, I'd bet he'd still be the Redskins coach. As a result, the entire SS Marty went to the bottom of the sea, with his big jaw sticking proudly out from the bow while the waves swallowed him up.

Marty got himself fired. And it was a smart move. It was probably the smartest move Snyder has made as of yet. Giving Marty so much power was a huge mistake, and by firing Marty as general manager, Snyder admitted his error, and fixed it. Marty's own stubborn attitude is why he's no longer here. had he made the few changes that were suggested he would be still here. Had he accepted the demotion from GM, he would still be here. He got what he asked for.

In San Diego, he went 6-2 to open the year.

Guess what he finished?

8-8.

Yay. Now I miss him even more.

~Bang

Originally posted by Henry

My veiw on Marty is in the link Yomar provided.

I thought hiring him was a mistake. He would never have done more than get us to the playoffs. Sorry Larry, but it is a big deal.

-----------------------

it may have been a mistake hiring him henry but i'd take getting to the playoffs consistently @ this point.it's been a long time.once your in you never know as balt.,NE have proven recently.

Archived