Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog - Rex Grossman: I'm Just Here To Help

TSO

I agree here. To expand a bit on that, I honestly never understood why anyone would want any one of our QBs to fail at the expense of another. Why not hope that Campbell/Grossman/Brennan or any other combination of QBs all play great for us and make it difficult to pick any one to start?

I, like you, see this as back up competition and nothing more really. Rex seems to understand that for the most part, but if everything suddenly clicks for him and he plays lights out, awesome.

I don't want to see any Redskin fail, but I disagree with you on the 3 headed QB thing. I want a clear cut starter to take control of the offense. No team has ever succeded with a QB controversy.

Agree that this is just a competition for the backup job unless a miracle happens and the Rams pass on Bradford.

I agree here. To expand a bit on that, I honestly never understood why anyone would want any one of our QBs to fail at the expense of another. Why not hope that Campbell/Grossman/Brennan or any other combination of QBs all play great for us and make it difficult to pick any one to start?

I, like you, see this as back up competition and nothing more really. Rex seems to understand that for the most part, but if everything suddenly clicks for him and he plays lights out, awesome.

Are you the guy who coined the slogan: "Can't we all just get along?"

There has been no shortage of silliness and low-brain-power reaction in the Stadium to what is a very ordinary and typical signing for the circumstances, but such reactions to such matters is expected in the land of message boards. There is nothing to support either real concern or real excitement over the signing. It is simply normal work in progress. Now things may go in a way that turns out either exciting or disastrous, but either is unlikely. If forced, I would say "somewhat exciting" is more possible than "somewhat disastrous" in our situation. But for now, it is simply another ordinary workday event.

As usual you are the master of the low-key suave assessment, but if this isn't a major WTF? moment, what is? It isn't so much that Grossman is an awful QB (he is, but that is something else), it is a question of the current regime's plans and what this says about them. We have gone through so many WTF? signings and moves in the last two decades that our shock-and-awe reflex is burnt out but I may just be able to squeeze out one more. We may not have any solid reasons to believe that change has finally come yet but is it completely ridiculous to have a little hope that the clouds are parting? Uncapped year, 10 players cut already, minimal contract-- ok, so he won't cost much at a time when we can afford it but I do wonder exactly how anyone could look at this guy's resume and think "Hmmmmm, we could use some of that". This alone is not enough to make me doubt Shanahallen but I am wondering if maybe I should.

I gave my buddy in Chicago a major ration of :pooh: when Grossman was on their roster, now I have to accept it all in return.

I don't want to see any Redskin fail, but I disagree with you on the 3 headed QB thing. I want a clear cut starter to take control of the offense. No team has ever succeded with a QB controversy.

Agree that this is just a competition for the backup job unless a miracle happens and the Rams pass on Bradford.

I don't think he's suggesting that there will be a competition well into training camp. I would guess that a clear starter will likely be named before training camp. Teams that have competitions deep into training camp probably don't have a QB.

Let's not blow his knowledge of the system out of proportion. Grossman had 1 year with Kyle Shanahan.

one year is more than anyone on our team has... ask yourself if you think we'd even consider grossman if he hadn't played under kyle's system... and we signed him to a one year contract... he's an emergency back up with knowledge of the system... it's such a common practice on both sides of the ball that I find it hardly surprising..

what i wouldnt give to see lando suit up for this team. he'd sling colt 45s around and comb his moustache in the huddle.

He'd command our offense to move closer and engage that defense at point blank range. And when Shanahan says they won't last long against that top-ranked D at that close range, he'll respond that they'll last longer than they will against that clock and they might just get a few points.

Then when Cooley scores a TD, he'd be like, "Chris, Ol' buddy, I knew you wouldn't let me down!"

I don't mean we just have some kind of QB by committee thing going on during the season... there's plenty to not like about that, especially the rhythm and flow a QB needs to get into to play at a high level that'd be disrupted.

But we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just can't understand why we wouldn't want 3 Peyton Mannings on our team. Who cares who wins the job in that case, they'll all play well. We'll be safe through injuries and we'll have a ton of trade bait.

It's a win-win-win for us.

Are you the guy who coined the slogan: "Can't we all just get along?"

No, but I'm sure I'd get along with him. :insane:

Unless he was one of those types who just loves to find faults in everything and anything, and can't help but complain every opportunity he gets to do so. ;)

Archived