Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: JLC: Roundup: Cowboys’ Jones responds to TE Bennett

bubba9497

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/11/roundup-cowboys-jones-responds-to-te-bennett/

Click link for entire article

Roundup: Cowboys’ Jones responds to TE Bennett

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was not amused by TE Martellus Bennett’s latest claim that he could be one of the game’s best if the Cowboys coaches used him correctly.

“I think I could be one of the all-time greats,” Bennett told the Dallas Morning News on Monday. “I think the Cowboys are a great fit for me. Probably the system has to change for me to produce. Some things they have to do on the coaching side of the ball to make me … You’ve got to fit into the system. It’s not just all on the player. It’s different things that have to be done to put me in a position to make those plays.”

Bennett showed promise during his rookie season two years ago, catching four touchdowns, but failed to reach the end zone in 2009, and finished with only 15 receptions for 159 yards.

Jones told the Dallas Morning News that it comes down to maturity.

“When you evaluate a player both from a standpoint of skill or a standpoint of the other intangibles when you see him do it, then you know he can do it,” Jones said. “We’ve seen Martellus do everything that it takes to be an All-Pro football player. We’ve seen that happen. Now just like any real accomplished player, athlete, boxer or whatever, he’s got to make it part of his every day makeup. If he does, he’ll be a great player for the Cowboys.”

Bennett has a history of opening his mouth at the wrong time.

A Fort Worth Star-Telegram reporter once said that Bennett had more memorable quotes than memorable catches during his college career at Texas A&M. A skill that has carried over to Bennett’s professional career with the Cowboys.

Bennett came into the NFL making light of QB Tony Romo sits to pee’s relationship with Jessica Simpson, and came somewhat of a fan favorite on HBO’s “Hard Knocks” during his rookie season.

Jason Witten could get that all time great status. He's the starter. Bennett plays like a girl compared to him. If he could run with the football like he runs his mouth he could have 99 yards per reception but he can't back up anything he says because the bottom line is he's not a great football player, he's average, and he won't stop talking. Like someone else said, he's like TO only he hasn't earned the right to run his mouth about anything.

Archived