Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley: Spears doesn't love his tender

bubba9497

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/11675/spears-doesnt-love-his-tender

click link for entire article

Spears doesn't love his tender

Cowboys restricted free-agent defensive end Marcus Spears received the NFL equivalent to a slap in the face Thursday when the club tendered him at original draft pick level, $1.226 million, for the 2010 season. Spears, the starting defensive end on a playoff team, received a lower tender than backup defensive ends Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher ($1.759 million each).

Both owner Jerry Jones and coach Wade Phillips have praised Spears' performance in 2009, but they certainly have a funny way of showing it. They're practically begging a team to sign Spears to an offer sheet, although I don't think it will happen. Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com was the first reporter to visit with the Cowboys' former first-round pick.

"Tough man! That's the way it is, man, it's business," Spears said via text.

Jones had hinted after the season that a contract extension might be in order for Spears, but Thursday's decision suggests the Cowboys aren't that high on the defensive end. Jones told reporters at the combine last week that he wanted players to be "nervous" about their jobs heading into 2010. And I'd have to say he accomplished that goal with Spears.

sucks for spears, but that's really all we had to do to keep him. no team will likely part with a second for him, however the original rd compensation wouldn't have been enough for Bowen (undrafted I believe) and Hatcher (3rd rd, may have been enough, we'll never know now)

With that being said I wouldn't be upset if a team signed Spears away and Bowen moved into his starting spot and then we drafted a DE later in the 3rd or 4th round

Huh?...How does this make Spears nervous about his job?. This just makes him pissed off about his pay lol...

His back-ups get paid more than him and Stephen Bowen very productive in a reserve role. If Spears doesn't come into camp 100% focused and ready to prove Jerry Jones wrong, he may not start, which will hurt his 2011 value immensely.

Not only has he never really proven his worth as a mid first rounder, I can't see anyone giving up a 2nd for him. I think Tuna might have a year or two ago.

4.5+ years as a starter for a guy picked 20th is cool with me. Yeah it would be nice if he was able to rush the passer, but I can't say he's a bust.

Not only has he never really proven his worth as a mid first rounder, I can't see anyone giving up a 2nd for him. I think Tuna might have a year or two ago.

Yeah. Agreed. If anyone can make something out of this guy, it would be Parcells. But he even underachieved on Parcells watch.

I think that if Dallas let Carpenter or Spears walk, BP and Sparano would be all over them.

But not for anything of value. Maybe a 4th or 5th for Spears. And conditional pick for Barbie.

But I just read that Spears compensation is a first rounder, not a second. Even more prohibitive.

Guy was supposed to be the next Seymour out of LSU. Uh, not so much.

I think that if Dallas let Carpenter or Spears walk, BP and Sparano would be all over them.

But not for anything of value. Maybe a 4th or 5th for Spears. And conditional pick for Barbie.

Within reason I agree they'd want both of them, especially Spears. I was thinking 3rd for Spears but they'd need to work through the tender for that to occur. They'll never see a first from anyone.

4.5+ years as a starter for a guy picked 20th is cool with me. Yeah it would be nice if he was able to rush the passer, but I can't say he's a bust.
Undertood though he never reached most expectations and was upstaged at times by supposedly lesser players.

I really doubt Dallas offers him any kind of substantial extension, or at least not anything in the ballpark of what I suspect Spears wants. This will likley be his last season in Dallas, as it seems they want somebody to offer him a contract to get an extra pick in this deep draft. They will likley draft a dlineman somewhere in the first three rounds, so they're pretty much just using him as insurance at the position for next season.

I could see Dallas very interested in a guy like Odrick if no worthy O-Lineman drops. He can play NT and 5 tech, which would give Dallas a lot of versatility with Ratliff.

Within reason I agree they'd want both of them, especially Spears. I was thinking 3rd for Spears but they'd need to work through the tender for that to occur. They'll never see a first from anyone.

Agreed, i'd be absolutely shocked if anyone agreed to the 2nd round tender. I think if somebody decided to offer a 3rd, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. Wouldn't count on it though.

Archived