Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey Audibles

redman

I can't remember all of them. I do remember on one play Carolina was showing blitz on the right side and Ramsey picked up on it and changed the play. His audible called for Gardner to turn at the line for a quick screen pass and run off a pick from the WR in the slot ... can't remember who that was.

It went for about 8 yards.

From what I remember, most of the audibles resulted in the D changing their calls.

It seemed most of the audible went to a short, quick pass play and once or twice a run. And that the D backed out of a blitz as soon as the audible was called, and was ready for the audible.

(RANT ALERT!!)

I believe all but one audible (Ramsey's anyway) were short dumpoff passes, then there was one where he audibled to a running play. The most glaring thing regarding the audibles is that Ramsey didn't have sufficient time to make them. By the time the plays finally got called and the O to the line, there was barely time to get the original play called, much less audibilize. Twice in a row, Ramsey audibilled with 3 secs left on the clock, barely enough time for the rest of the offense to hear it, process the new play in their mind, and get ready to execute. I said it over and over last year, but thats ALL on Spurrier. Whatever his malfunction is in getting a play called in a timely way, he needs to fix it. Maybe they have more time in college and he's not adjusted, I don't know, but I'm REALLY getting tired of seeing it. He expects Patrick to read D's and select appropriate alternative plays, but he's not giving him a chance in hell to be able to do just that. I'd love to ask one of the coaches what in the hell the problem is as I've never seen so many rushed snap counts just to get a simple play off.

Yep. That was rant alright. :silly: I was wondering the same thing that started this thread and about the last second, literally, snap the ball thing. Hoping this is all just the 1st preseason work things out/tweak thing. Sigh.

:cheers:

Seem to be a couple of different answers here. Back to Art's thread on drinking. :silly:

I agree with Tar 100%. I have never seen such terrible clock management before. They have to get the play into him 10 seconds sooner then they are right now. I also think that when the "D" blitz is that obvious why waste the damn time in the audible. The players should KNOW what to do for that play and formation to that specific threat. They are pro's for christ sake. And if the D doesn't blitz go back to the original play. Are these guys that F'in stupid? If they really are we are in for a long season.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy/gal. When it comes to the Skins, I expect perfection. I expect an undefeated preseason and an undefeated regular season followed by a Superbowl win, Any losses clearly happen because the skins sucked at this or that. Not because the other team was good or anything. i'm a fan. with obviously unrealistic, alcohol induced expectations. :silly:

Okay, that said. There are several newcomers to the offense. We know who they are. Pros or not they are learning a new system. We were more than willing to give the guys a few mulligans last season based on that alone. It's only fitting to do the same for those who are new this year. especially one preseason game into it.

Until the 1st game. At which time i'm going to @#$@$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

This is the same thing that Sam Huff, Mark Mey were talking about last night, that Ramsey was rushing to get the play off, due to having to see the D, then calling the Audible and then getting the ball off center.

Spurrier needs to address this issue fast, otherwise there'll be a lot of delay of game and false starts.

I'm particularly frustrated with this issue Novato, because we did it over and over last season...WITH SPURRIER....

So I'm not sure

a) what the problem is?

B) why the Skins coaching staff apparently doesn't see its a problem?

c) why, if they do recognize it, they haven't designed a more efficient play-calling scheme and implemented it?

Could it be that one of the fundamentals of the FnG may turm out to be a fundamental flaw?

Alllowing the defense to dictate or influence the FnG's play selection via audibles ultimately plays into the defenses hands.

If I were a D-coordinator, I would want the FnG audibling on every play for obvious reasons and I would be working hard to figure out what looks to give to bring that about.

Given time trends by the offense or Ramsey to be precise, would undoubtedly begin to take shape and one could fully expect to be able to get the FnG to audible to a play far more predictable than the one they originally lined up to play.

Of course the blown timeouts and delay of game penalties are just icing on the cake.

SOS's offence of reminds me of the Indiana Jones movie where an Arab guy with a sword is challenging Indy and wasting time slashing the air with fancy moves. Indy just pulls his pistol in one smooth move and ends it.

I'd like to see Patrick walk up under center and just take the snap without all of those fancy audibles. He's only a second year QB and the middle of his line is new. SOS should use the KISS method until the players get it together.

All three "QB"s audiblized (eff sp.)(I put it in quotes because Woe-ful was one of 'em). There was no success. That does not mean it's a bad thing. It has to be quicker. I say, this is D.C., plant little recievers in the offensive guys helmets, and a mic for Patrick. Everyone hears, everyone denies.

This is a frustration you will have to endure with Spurrier. His teams have always suffered a lot of pre snap penalties. It's not just Ramsey audbling, Spurrier's on the sideline sending audibles in to him. That's Spurrier. He coaches as if he were the QB. He see's something the defense is doing and he sees a weakness and it's killing him to get that message across to his QB.

The good news is that when it works, it works beautifully, and you're willing to let is slide. When you lose, unfortunately, it drives you crazy.

All I can say is that his offense enabled Danny Wuerful to throw for over 300 yards in an NFL game last year. Name another coach in the NFL who could create a gameplan that could accomplish that.

When Ramsey has his first 400 yard, 4 TD game, you won't mind the occasional delay penalty.

I think this is an aspect of Spurrier's offense that bears watching.

First, Spurrier can't be sending in audibles. They turn the QB's earphone off when they walk to the line-of-scrimmage. Spurrier sends in the initial play, but the QB is on his own once he gets under center.

Audibles are an important tool in any offense. I remember, in '91, Joe Gibbs saying that Mark Rypien changed the play at the line of scrimmage about 60% of the time.

But times, and defenses, have changed since Gibbs walked the sideline. Just in the last 10 years or so, defenses have gotten more and more sophisticated and complex. Deception and disguise are the norm. A good defensive coach is always trying to sucker you in to running certain plays. Maybe a DB's stance might give away the coverage in college, but in the NFL, that DB's stance could be a ruse.

Spurrier's reliance on audibles could end up being his downfall. If his whole offense is predicated on changing plays based on what the defense shows you, then you can never win because the defense will AWAYS try to disquise its intentions, and you can NEVER make the "right" call at the line of scrimmage.

Spurrier would probably be better off spending his time studying defensive tendencies and calling plays that set up matchup advantages. If Spurrier is such a great play caller, why does he want his QB changing the plays all the time? Look, I understand the concept--that there's always the perfect play for every defense. But the reality is that defenses rarely give away their true intentions in the NFL. Plus, he's got an inexperienced QB who's still learning how to read defenses. Rather than trying to find the "perfect" play every single down, this offense would probably do better trying to set up the "perfect" play with solid play calling in the first place. If a play has been properly set up, it shouldn't really matter what the defensive call is because the offense is now dictating.

I'll be willing to bet that audibles are pretty common among NFL teams. I think something that Spurrier might want to look into is scripting some plays. If there's a 50/50 chance that Ramsey is going to have to change a play at the line of scrimmage, what's the point of spending 10 - 15 seconds pondering what to call.

If Ramsey has the plays already, and then evaluates the likelyhood of it working all within the first 5 to 10 seconds, then there's really no rushing around out there.

If you take away the audibles of Spurrier's offense, then it's not Spurrier's offense...the FnG is based on getting the best play vs. a particular D. However, there have to be better ways to getting to that point. That's why I think scripting would be a possiblity.

How many wasted time out's and "dead ball fouls" were caused last season by not getting the line set in time because of audibles? As I recall it was out of hand, and it seems to be no better from what I saw Saturday.

Sonny was right in his complaints as far as I was concerned.

I also got the impression that R. Johnson had a bit more of a handle on running the offense. I could be completely wrong because I was a drunk by halftime

Archived