ESPN: McShay: Running back class has much to prove

bubba9497

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/columns/story?id=4936343

click link for entire article

Running back class has much to prove

Beyond Spiller there are plenty of questions about 2010 running back class

By Todd McShay

Scouts Inc.

Clemson's C.J. Spiller is the clear-cut No. 1 running back in this year's class, and while he is not expected to take part in all drills at the combine, we are interested to see how his 40-yard dash times look. Specifically, we'll be looking at Spiller's 10- and 20-yard splits to help confirm that he is the most explosive offensive skill player in this year's draft.

After Spiller, there's a handful of backs, each with something specific to prove.

In our opinion, Fresno State's Ryan Mathews is the only other running back worthy of a first-round selection, but Mathews was not a big part of the passing game in college, and NFL teams want to know whether he has the short-area burst to get upfield and make something happen after the catch.

California's Jahvid Best is a first-round talent, but durability concerns likely will knock him down to the second round, and the medical portion of the combine will be as important for Best as any other part of the week. A hip injury in 2007, elbow and foot surgeries after the '08 season, and a concussion suffered this past season in a scary fall against Oregon State all have teams worried.

The issue for Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster is speed. McCluster is a phenomenal athlete who is very quick and shifty, but if he is going to play a Darren Sproles-type role at just 5-foot-8⅛ and 165 pounds, his top-end speed must be among the best in the class. A 40 time in the 4.4-second range and a good performance in drills will solidify his second-round grade.

Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer needs to show up in the best shape of his life. Dwyer looks sluggish when playing at or above 230 pounds, so he would be well-served to show up around 225 and in good shape in order to dispel rumors that he is not a great worker and will have to constantly have his weight monitored in the NFL.

Knee injuries could be a problem for Tennessee's Montario Hardesty, who had a serious knee injury as a freshman and was hampered by knee issues this past season. Hardesty is a late-second or early-third round talent, but if his knees do not check out and teams worry about long-term deterioration, he could fall a round or two.

USC's Joe McKnight is an aberration because we're more interested in his 40-yard dash splits from 10 to 20 yards and 20 to 30 than his first 10. That's because we see a lack of burst/second gear on McKnight's film, and at less than 200 pounds, he has to be among the top performers in the speed and agility testing.

The final question to be answered is whether Stanford's Toby Gerhart has the lateral quickness to get in and out of cuts without losing too much speed. That means the shuttle and three-cone drills will be very important to his draft stock.

A pair of late-round prospects with good value potential also will be on display. Joique Bell of Wayne State (Mich.) has the size and quickness to become a versatile backup. SMU's Shawnbrey McNeal is beginning to generate some buzz because of his versatility.

There are a lot of questions, but I think it's a deep RB class where you can get a potential steal past the 3rd round. I wouldn't mind seeing a true gamebreaker like McCluster wearing the B&G...or a guy like Blount taken in a later round (who was projected before the punch to go in the 1st or 2nd round) to really bolster our running game. Some team is going to strike it rich by selecting one of these guys. I just hope our FO does their due dilligence and makes a wise selection to give us some youth and skill at the RB spot.

I'm really curious on seeing Gerhart. I love this guys attitude, and he is a total beast. Haven't watched him too much, anybody know why he doesn't get talked about as much?

Because he is a white running back that gets stereotyped. Read this article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1161006/index.htm

The prejudice against white RBs extends all the way into video games…

Quote:

A black lady sportswriter, Jemele Hill, pointed out:

Recently, according to Gerhart, one of his friends was playing an NCAA video game and created a player with Gerhart’s speed and dimensions (6-foot-2, 230 pounds, 4.43 in the 40-yard dash). When his friend made the player white, the game automatically described the video version of Gerhart as “power back.” When his friend changed the skin color to black, he became an “all-purpose back.”

Gerhart is a complete back, with great vision, and personally I think he will be a very good back, I also like LeGarrette Blount who like Gerhart is a big back with good speed and vision, both would be steals in later rounds.

Recently, according to Gerhart, one of his friends was playing an NCAA video game and created a player with Gerhart’s speed and dimensions (6-foot-2, 230 pounds, 4.43 in the 40-yard dash). When his friend made the player white, the game automatically described the video version of Gerhart as “power back.” When his friend changed the skin color to black, he became an “all-purpose back.”

Gerhart is a complete back, with great vision, and personally I think he will be a very good back, I also like LeGarrette Blount who like Gerhart is a big back with good speed and vision, both would be steals in later rounds.

This is actually really funny that the creators of the game would do that.

How freaking racist is that?! Geez!

I bet if you made Dexter McCluster on the game and made him white, the game would automatically rename him Tim Dwight Jr. and list him solely at WRS.

I'm really curious on seeing Gerhart. I love this guys attitude, and he is a total beast. Haven't watched him too much, anybody know why he doesn't get talked about as much?

Granted, the only time I watched him was the first half of their bowl game against Oklahoma. But after watching him for one half, he was the only college player I've watched this year where I said "Damn, he's good."

(And I watched Suh, too. And didn't say that.)

Now, what I saw when I watched him was a RB who's really good at running the ball up the middle. (And I have to assume that he was running against an Oklahoma defense that was expecting him to do that.)

I look at his stats, and what I see is zero fumbles. In four years.

However, what I also see is that he missed almost his entire sophomore year because of a knee injury, and he was wearing knee braces in the bowl game I watched.

I'd add Ben Tate and Lamarcus Coker as guys I would like to hear more about going into the draft. Coker got dismissed by Tennessee and went on to do well at Hampton (wont be at the combine though). Tate was talked about as identical to Mark Ingram as one of the better rushers in the SEC.

The biggest steal in the draft imo is James Starks out of UB. I'm not just saying that because it's a local school (or am I? :P)

Anyhow, he's a projected 5th or 6th round RB. If it wasn't for a shoulder injury that ended his season he would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

He's 6'1, 218 and wants to try and hit a 4.4 40 (Actually he said 4.3...we'll see tomorrow).

I'd LOVE to have him with Portis (if he stays) and take some pressure off his aging legs. He'd fit into Shanny's zone system. Not to mention he's a great pass catching RB averaging about 40+ catches a season with UB.

I'd add Ben Tate and Lamarcus Coker as guys I would like to hear more about going into the draft. Coker got dismissed by Tennessee and went on to do well at Hampton (wont be at the combine though). Tate was talked about as identical to Mark Ingram as one of the better rushers in the SEC.

Not really big on Coker, though he is really fast. But I do like Ben Tate and wouldnt mind drafting him in later rounds possibly.

Archived