Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Class of Unrestricted Free Agents

SkinnedAussie

I don't expect a lot of support on this idea but I'd like to see Washington go after Kassim Osgood. His WR production is basically non existent but he was be invaluable on special teams. It would finally give Danny Smith a little talent to work with on that side of the ball. He also adds great size to the position should we need him on a part time basis. Ideally he would take the roster spot of ARE freeing up some cap room (assuming it comes back) and opening up more recieving oppurtunities for Thomas and Kelly.

I would have thought that everyone's attention would be towards what O-line players are available, followed by those who are familiar with a 3-4 defense.

WR, IMO, would rank AFTER our P and K concerns.

Agreed. People might be upset with the development of Thomas and Kelly, but fact is is that most receivers don't usually hit their stride until a few years in and we spent two second rounders on them.

We need to address OL, RB, possibly QB, DE, and LB before WR.

March 5th? I didn't realize it was so soon. I'm excited now! :)

Don't be surprised if it is pushed back. If the league and the Players association are close on a deal for the CBA, they may delay it a few days. They delayed it a few times in 2006 when they were finalizing the deal.

Don't be surprised if it is pushed back. If the league and the Players association are close on a deal for the CBA, they may delay it a few days. They delayed it a few times in 2006 when they were finalizing the deal.

I don't think I've heard ANYTHING saying they are even remotely close. We've basically been told by multiple owners and representatives, as well as other sources close to the situation, that we should be expecting a no-cap year, haven't we? I don't think they'd be so openly pessimistic about it if they were anywhere in the ballpark of "close".

I don't think I've heard ANYTHING saying they are even remotely close. We've basically been told by multiple owners and representatives, as well as other sources close to the situation, that we should be expecting a no-cap year, haven't we? I don't think they'd be so openly pessimistic about it if they were anywhere in the ballpark of "close".

There was lots of talk in 2006 too. Talk of lockouts, talk of decertifying the Union, etc. Most of that is posturing. The 2006 talks actually broke off a few days before FA was supposed to start. The players don't want on uncapped year b/c of the restrictions on Free Agency. As we move closer to the FA deadline there will be some movement on the talks.

There was lots of talk in 2006 too. Talk of lockouts, talk of decertifying the Union, etc. Most of that is posturing. The 2006 talks actually broke off a few days before FA was supposed to start. The players don't want on uncapped year b/c of the restrictions on Free Agency. As we move closer to the FA deadline there will be some movement on the talks.

All of that is true. It just seems like most FO's around the league are proceeding like its an uncapped year, and don't have much hope for a different turnout. I personally want it back after this season, but think that it could be helpful for the Skins to dump some things off the books before it returns. So I'm not just saying this because I'm in denial haha. I really don't get the vibe that anyone thinks talks are going well at all. But you may be right, I guess we'll see!

Not talk to this degree. Not even close.

It's not just posturing, the Union and NFL are on complete opposite sides of some huge issues that they have just kept putting off.

Just about everybody is 100% in on an uncapped year in 2010. The question will be getting a new deal before a lockout in 2011.

Hunter better be back next season!

I know he was injured but Hunter wasn't great for us last year other than a pair of trick plays. I'd like to see him resigned because I think he'll have a better year if he stays healthy but his performance wasn't exactly a key to the little success we had.

All of that is true. It just seems like most FO's around the league are proceeding like its an uncapped year, and don't have much hope for a different turnout. I personally want it back after this season, but think that it could be helpful for the Skins to dump some things off the books before it returns. So I'm not just saying this because I'm in denial haha. I really don't get the vibe that anyone thinks talks are going well at all. But you may be right, I guess we'll see!

Dump what and why?

I don't expect a lot of support on this idea but I'd like to see Washington go after Kassim Osgood. His WR production is basically non existent but he was be invaluable on special teams. It would finally give Danny Smith a little talent to work with on that side of the ball. He also adds great size to the position should we need him on a part time basis. Ideally he would take the roster spot of ARE freeing up some cap room (assuming it comes back) and opening up more recieving oppurtunities for Thomas and Kelly.

Really!? Osgood, out of that entire list that is the direction you go? Well, right on I suppose, I mean we do need a WR.

And I bet you watch Jersey Shore, I mean where else could you learn to gossip like this?

TODAY, the head of the Owner's Organization said that he is all but certain the CBA WILL NOT but reached for this year.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=4940015&y=199dy

Our most glaring need is at OT so I would hope we sign AT LEAST one veteran to help bridge the gap, my wish list for this in order is:

Clifton (still has some gas, great talent, played well toward end of season)

Gandy (ditto)

Barry Sims (SF just has too much young talent to keep him, still capable, short-term)

Cornell Green (stable vet that could have been simply hit by the OAK curse)

Tauscher (32 is not terrible old and is pretty light for 6' 3" at 316, may fit ZBS)

Beyond that, there is QB (which cannot be addressed via FA) and areas of pseudo-luxury which bring me to this wish list in order:

Antrel Rolle: In 2008 the put him at SS, leading to 1 INT and a spike in tackles (86). In 2007, he amassed 5 INTs and 3 TDs (62 tackles) and 2009 snagged 4 INTs (72 tackles). In his first season at FS, 2006, he deflected 11 passes but was only able to grab 1 INT. The guy is a play making INT grabbing TD scoring pass deflecting show stopper at a position that we don't have anyone who can do any of those things.

Dunta Robinson: Robinson would enable us to trade Carlos who seems unhappy and is valuable enough to net much needed draft picks. Dunta is a bit over-hyped, IMO, in that his rookie season (6 INT, 19 pass deflections, 3 sacks) has not been close to being replicated in the last 5 seasons (12 pass breakups and 2 INTs being his peak per season since. Nonetheless, he as good as Rogers with more upside and still quite young (27).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5535

Karlos Dansby: Although I like our LB core, Dansby can do it all and it still fairly young. Despite not being unreal at any one ability he can deflect passes, get INTs, wrap up QBs, and accumulate tackles which leads me to asking "Who would not want this guy???"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5558

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8423

Reggie Bush: He is not going to get $8M and will have to restructure to stay in Black and Gold, which he very well might do. If not, then he would instantly add to the team a game changing punt/kick returning, elite pass catching, blazing speed change of pace back who is really young.

Gary Brackett: Has had between 99 and 127 tackles every year since 2005. Let's face it, Fletch is not getting any younger and Brackett basically at 30 year old version. He also has 4 INTs and 7 pass breakups in 2007 which shows he can also do coverage which would be essential if we were to swtich to the 3-4.

Ben Hamilton: Excelled in numerous years under the tutiledge of Shanahan and would come in immediately ready to run the ZBS. We also so happen to have a hold at G on the other side of Dockery. Beyond that, he will allow Rinehart to remain as a backup which would hopefully allow him a little more time to develop into a more formidable starter.

Jimmy Kennedy: 6'5" 320 lbs with 3 sacks in a limited role last year and 7 years of experience would make him a great candidate to provide some veteran leadership and infusion of talent at the DT position for transitioning to the 3-4, moving Haynesworth outside.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/396166/jimmy-kennedy

Adewale Ogunleye: Besides keeping our beat writers perpetually checking their spell check he is a freaking sack monster flying under the radar and likely to sign for much less than another certain DE. Seriously, look at this guys stats, with Daniels and Wynn gone he would step right in and give us a nice rotation. Unless we switch to 3-4, which we probably will do and make this entire paragraph pointless.

Justin Bannan and Dwan Edards: Both have a lot of experience in the 3-4 playing for the Ravens and could able aid the transition:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/depth-chart/BAL/baltimore-ravens?tag=untagged

Ladanian Tomilson: I know, I know, he is old and we have Portis and blah blah blah yadda yadda... One thing we could not do in the past few seasons, scored rushing TDs, is something LT did still manage do quite well last season with 12. He is old but certainly not ancient (30). I would love to see him and Portis pushing each other for carries.

Aaron Kampman: If we do not swtich to a 3-4 then a rotation of him, Orakpo, and Carter would be NASTY!

Tauscher (32 is not terrible old and is pretty light for 6' 3" at 316, may fit ZBS)

Green Bay does run a zone blocking scheme. Tauscher was a huge part of the difference in limiting the number of sacks Rodgers took in the second half of the season when he came back from his knee injury. Assuming he can stay healthy, he'd be a tackle you can count on. That said, I find it tough to imagine we'll let Tauscher or Clifton into the FA with our OT needs. TJ Lang will probably take over starter duties at some point in the season, but we still need a buffer to keep Allen Barbre off the field.

And I bet you watch Jersey Shore, I mean where else could you learn to gossip like this?

TODAY, the head of the Owner's Organization said that he is all but certain the CBA WILL NOT but reached for this year.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=4940015&y=199dy

A) I have never watched Jersey Shore. Having dealt with those type of annoying tourists for years at the shore, I have no desire to support a show about them. Benny Go Home!

B) I'm not sure whether you included the wrong link or not, but that link contains no quotes form the head of the Owner's Organization. All quotes are from the head of the NFLPA, DeMaurice Smith.

C) Almost all contract negotiations have some movement as deadlines approach. It is hardly gossip to assume there will be some movement.

D) DeMaurice Smith's full memo (http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2010/02/just-chill-nflpa-director-demaurice-smith-proposes-continuation-of-current-system-for-a-year-while-b.html) states that the NFLPA recently proposed a one year Cap extension to continue negotiations over the 2010 season. Which makes it appear as if the NFLPA does not want the uncapped year and is still trying to negotiate. The memo also indicates that they are meeting again today (the 25th) so negotiations will continue.

D) DeMaurice Smith's full memo (http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2010/02/just-chill-nflpa-director-demaurice-smith-proposes-continuation-of-current-system-for-a-year-while-b.html) states that the NFLPA recently proposed a one year Cap extension to continue negotiations over the 2010 season. Which makes it appear as if the NFLPA does not want the uncapped year and is still trying to negotiate. The memo also indicates that they are meeting again today (the 25th) so negotiations will continue.

The problem is, the owners opted out of the current deal, because they felt they weren't getting enough. So the NFLPA suggesting a one year extension to a deal they liked, isn't much of a compromise or even a sign that things are going in the right direction

Archived