Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Offseason Wishlist complete with FA signings, trades, and draft moves

SkinsBoss

My 2010 offseason wish list is just that a wish list. My blueprint for this offseason welcomes any debate and feedback but these are the goals I have if I’m Allen and Shanahan for how to upgrade our team and put us in the best possible position to win next year and beyond.

Please note this is all based upon two primary factors: 1. Daniel Snyder having deep pockets. And 2. Being aggressive on the trade front during the draft.

With this upcoming CBA situation in doubt I believe if we lure Free Agents with heavy front loaded contracts with major upfront signing money we should be able to achieve many of the goals I lay out making us the most attractive option for FA’s this offseason. Secondly, I also believe long term 3, 4, 5 years down the road we will have good cap management if we front load contracts with big signing bonuses so as to avoid the proverbial cap hell that may loom down the road assuming the salary cap returns 2011 or beyond.

So here it goes my offseason blueprint. (with best guess on contract also)

Free Agent Signings

1. Free agent signing DE/OLB JULIUS PEPPERS…………5 yrs $85million with possibly $40m upfront making the back end of the contract affordable should his production fall off and we need to cut him in 2012 or later. Could be a monster in outside 3-4 system teaming Orakpo could be scary. May even be able to play DE depending upon how he adjusts to that. While I don’t think Peppers will be awesome in 4 years or more in the next two to three seasons he could be a beast. That’s also why I would pay through the roof with a signing bonus this year just so we can get him now and if his production falters it won’t be cap hell releasing him long term.

2. Free agent signing DE MARCUS SPEARS………….5 yrs $37million with possibly $12m upfront again making the back end of the contract affordable should his production fall off in 2013 or later. I like taking him off the Cowboys defense. Solid against the run. Could still be in his prime towards the end of the contract. If we adjust to 3-4 would be a great DE not just in the short term but also 4 to 5 years down the line.

3. Free agent signing OLB KARLOS DANSBY…………6yrs $51million with possibly $24m upfront again based on premise of frontloading signing bonus during the uncapped year. This would be pure greed if we get Peppers and Spears but I still do it simply to add the depth. I could even seem him trying to transition to MLB in a 3-4 also. Not sure if he would take to that well but if he does we could have a nice MLB corps once Fletcher calls it quits with Dansby and McIntosh as MLB’s. This is not a need position at all just greed but if Danny Snyder’s pockets are as deep as I think then I say do it and that’s why I can justify the upfront money because Dansby is still in his prime.

4. Free agent signing RB CHESTER TAYLOR/WILLIE PARKER………..3yrs $15million with possibly $5m upfront. (Not sure on contract money on this, I would be very wary of giving Parker that much upfront but if market demanded it in order to get him I would do it). This pick up gives us insurance should Portis not be able to handle heavy workload. I wish we could do better at RB but I don’t think we can upgrade this position much better through FA or draft this year. I believe while Spiller and Best have great potential I think Shanny wants a bigger RB to shoulder much of the load so I’m going the FA route for a short term solution here.

5. Free agent singing RB/KR REGGIE BUSH…………..6 yrs $32million with possibly $12m upfront same premise to frontload the singing bonus in the uncapped year. This would be a great move and I hope happens for us if NO doesn’t tender him. I could see him being a 3rd down back for us, kick and punt returner and I could also see the younger Shanahan using him much the way he did Steve Slaton in Houston. Kyle Shanahan had Slaton looking like the next Jones-Drew until he started fumbling this season so getting Bush could be a potential great upside especially at this type of contract.

6. Free agent signing QB CHAD PENNINGTON………..3 yrs $13 to 17million with signing bonus guaranteeing the meat of the contract upfront in the first or second year. Adding Pennington only works if we get JC out of town. More on that later but assuming Campbell is gone this could be a nice stop gap for a year or two to help guide a rookie QB. Pennington is one of the smartest guys in the NFL. A good leader and a good veteran the downside is he’s like swiss cheese health wise. So I envision him only as a temporary stop gap maybe 1 season possibly two depending on maturation of rookie QB.

7. Free agent signing OG CHRIS KUPER…………..4 yrs $15 million with $3.5 upfront……he could slide into RG and start right away. He knows the ZBS system and could be a mainstay for the next 3 to 4 years.

8. Free agent signing G/C BEN COLEMAN……….4 yrs $14 million with $3m upfront…..this would be kind of a greedy move especially if we already have Kuper. But I happen to think Coleman might be able to play center especially as Rabach ages. At the very least even if he can’t switch to center he provides a nice insurance policy at G and if Dockery struggles to adjust to the ZBS scheme I could see Coleman starting at G in 2011 if Dockery can’t transition to the new system.

ReSign our own RFA’s

Rocky McIntosh bring him back to transition to MLB in the 3-4 scheme. Solid player through his tenure with us could be a nice MLB similar to Vilma in the new system.

Carlos Rogers bring him back as well but I wish we could upgrade over him this offseason. Leigh Bodden and Duante Robinson are both out there but I’m not sure either are that much of an upgrade over Carlos so I bring him back almost by default but I hope can we draft depth at CB.

Trade Proposals:

1. Jason Campbell as an RFA to Buffalo. Chan Gailey wants a new QB with deep pocket presence he’s already been quoted as saying that. JC fits the bill. I think a package of Whitner and Buffalo’s 2nd round pick this year would be enough for JC. I think that is certainly realistic.

I’m not a fan of getting Whitner to play safety. I’d rather explore Bathea, Clark, or even Sharper in the short term but I think this may be a likely trade.

2. Andre Carter to Atlanta Falcons for 2010 4th round pick. The Falcons need to upgrade DE, Carter is still productive, his contract is reasonable and a 4th round might get it done.

3. Ladell Betts to San Diego for 2010 4th round pick. San Diego is looking for RB in the wake of cutting ways with Tomlinson. Betts fits what they look for in an RB and I think a 4th for him is reasonable.

If we can make these three trades in the offseason we would have Buffalo’s 2nd pick, Atlanta’s 4th and San Diego’s 4th.

Draft Plan

1. 1st Round SAM BRADFORD QB Oklahoma…….I’m high on him, I think he can be our franchise QB for the next 10 plus years. I just don’t want to see us throw him into the fire in week one but instead give him time to move into the position.

2. 2nd Round best OT available either CHARLES BROWN or BRUCE CAMPBELL. Need replacement to Samuels, Shanny does not have a history of drafting OL in the 1st round so to all those who believe we’re getting Okung, I’m sorry to say Shanny just does not draft 1st Round OL and I can’t see him doing it this year either.

3. 2nd Rounder (from Buffalo) best OL available or NT if Terrence Cody is on the board. I would personally hope OL falls so we can reload but if not I would love to get NT Cody here. Could be great in the 3-4 but I have a feeling this guy might eat his way out of the league being that he’s already 370lbs so I’m taking this one with a grain of salt.

4. Trade into 3rd Round by packaging 2 of the proposed 4th’s and this year’s 7th. A combiniation of ATL’s 4th, SD’s 4th and our 7th should get us into the 3rd round. Assuming we can do that I say we draft best OL or NT. If Cody was drafted then I think getting Capers here would be a great fit for us.

5. Our 4th round pick Myron Rolle—FS-Florida State, very smart player most mocks project him from late 3rd into mid 4th range, had he elected for draft last year in lieu of Rhodes scholarship would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick. Could give us nice insurance particularly if we get stuck with Whitner as FS.

6. Our 5th round pick Javier Arenas CB-Alabama. It seems like every year we try to draft CB, could be a steal here, his draft stock will depend on the combine but 5th round seems about right for him.

7. Our 6th round pick Stefan Johnson RB-USC. Big physical downhill runner. The kind of RB that could be a short distance, 1 yard, goal to go type guy. The kid probably would be going higher if not for the weightlifting accident but I like picking him here at the 6th.

If we make all these moves our roster should look like this:

QB: Pennington, Bradford, Brennan

RB: Portis, (Taylor/Parker), Bush, Cartwright, Johnson

FB: Sellers

TE: Cooley, Davis, Yoder

OL: Brown, Dockery, Rabach, Kuper, Capers

With OL depth: Heyer, Hamilton, Rinehart, Montgomery, Williams

WR: Moss, Kelly, Thomas, Randle-El, Mitchell

Defense

DT: Haynesworth, Cody, Montgomery

DE: Peppers, Spears, Griffin, Jarmon, Alexander

OLB: Orakpo, Dansby, Wilson

MLB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades

CB: Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Barnes, Arenas, (Tryon or Westbrook)

SS: Landry, Doughty, Horton

FS: Whitner, Rolle

K,P: TBD based on camp performance

LS: Albright

I know this is more than a 53 man roster but obviously some of these guys will be designated to practice squad.

That’s it in a nutshell. My offseason wishlist. I know some might be reaching for the sky and others are going to get me killed. Believe me it’s very tough for me to put Pennington down but overall I would be very happy if we could accomplish this type of offseason.

So let me hear everyone’s thoughts on feedback?

I appreciate the effort that you put into this, but I think some of your FA signings would be mistakes. Namely Peppers. I also do not really agree with Willie Taylor or Pennington, and I think Taylor and Bush are going to get more money than that.

I am really hoping that Peppers is nowhere near this team next year. His physical gifts are undeniable and he could have been one of the best ever. But he does not have the drive to be that, in my opinion. Now that he is on the wrong side of 30, he is not going to be worth the contract he is going to get. Living in Charlotte, I get to see and hear a lot about Peppers. And the fact that they are just willing to let him walk should say something. And the fact that most fans are happy to just let him walk should too.

He makes big plays sometimes, but he also disappears for plays and entire games at a time. He should be dominant, and he just isn't. he makes big plays in clusters, but then you won't hear anything from him for a while. Like weeks 9,10 and 11 of this year. Three games, two tackles. That is all. He made three million dollars for two tackles. Week 14, no stats at all. None. And you can not say he is being double and triple-teamed, teams do not do that anymore.

Sure, he will have games like he did against Tampa Bay with seven tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble, but when you are paying someone that much, those games should come a lot more often.

With Peppers, I look at it like this it's not our money, it's Snyders and if he brings him in and plays well 2 to 3 seasons then in this proposed scenario we're not in cap trouble as he gets older. If we needed to cut him in 2012 or 2013 we could do so very reasonably.

I'm sorry but I felt like you lost validity when you said that we could garner a 4th round draft pick for Ladell Betts. He is over the age of 30 and he just suffered a knee injury. :ols:

Basically your "Wish List" is to sign a bunch of free agents and make a few stupid trades.

I wouldn't be pleased if our offseason went this way, but I know it won't because we don't have a bunch of fans running the FO anymore. :)

cocain is a hell of a drug

I'm going to hell because I laughed.

To the OP, It's obvious that you put a lot of time and thought into your post and I want to say thanks for that because it gets us thinking. I disagree with a lot of your ideas, but we all have different opinions. One thing you might want to consider though is that we are probably going to move to a 3-4 defense this year and your roster spots are way off for that on defense.

go post it in any of the other offseason wishlist threads. We cant have every single member on here make a thread about what they want.

Why not? I love reading these!!! They are unbelievably well thought out and thought provoking...Besides what do YOU want to talk about??? HTTR

Why not? I love reading these!!! They are unbelievably well thought out and thought provoking...Besides what do YOU want to talk about??? HTTR

Really? Just because someone takes a lot of time to type it up, and puts a lot of time into coming up with the trades and signings, doesn't mean they are unbelievably thought out.

1. Jason Campbell as an RFA to Buffalo. Chan Gailey wants a new QB with deep pocket presence he’s already been quoted as saying that. JC fits the bill. I think a package of Whitner and Buffalo’s 2nd round pick this year would be enough for JC. I think that is certainly realistic.

That’s it in a nutshell.

So let me hear everyone’s thoughts on feedback?

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

I liked your original write-up. It's a little on the extreme side - especially with all those free agents, but this is ExtremeSkins after all ;)

Here's a little mock draft I did of my own. Although I haven't touched the free agent pool.

Here's what I propose: Trade back to 9th overall with Buffalo - they need a QB more than we do... I think. We pick up their 3rd round pick in addition.

Round 1 (9th overall) - Anthony Davis (T)

Round 2 (37th overall) - Jahvid Best (RB) - Guy is ridiculously fast and might fall out of the first round.

Round 3 (73 - from Buffalo) - Brandon Spikes (MLB) - Has the size to play MLB in the 3-4, his speed is somewhat limited... but he's a great tackler and AWESOME in coverage.

Round 4 (100th overall) - Ciron Black (T) - This guy has RT written all over him. Big effort guy.

Round 5 (132nd overall) - Eric Olson © - Center from Notre Dame. Pretty good in pass pro.

Round 7 (#196th overall) - Pat Paschall (RB) - A sleeper RB with a lot of potential. Our backs are getting old and even if we take another RB in this draft, we're going to need another one to spell him anyway.

Archived