Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Six Flags Sheds Another Park

mjah

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Is No More

Looks like Six Flags wanted to renegotiate their existing lease, as they can do under bankruptcy laws; Kentucky State Fair Board said no; and that was that.

This is not terribly surprising, as Kentucky Kingdom was their only leased park and it doesn't seem that it was profitable. Six Flags owns the land beneath all of the other parks, as far as I know. Also, the park hadn't gotten any major rides since 2003, and some of their existing rides were getting removed or sitting idle during the season.

Look for jettisoned Kentucky Kingdom rides at your local park in 2010 or 2011! Not that you'd want any of them, unless you get this one:

chang-kentucky-kingdom.jpg

That yellow coaster looks like a metaphor for Dan Snyder's Redskins draft strategy over the years.

That yellow coaster is called Chang, its a stand up coaster that makes your knees weak when by the time you finish and then you have to walk down a flight of metal grated stairs. I love that coaster. I hope someone picks up the park and keeps it open.

That yellow coaster is called Chang, its a stand up coaster that makes your knees weak when by the time you finish and then you have to walk down a flight of metal grated stairs. I love that coaster. I hope someone picks up the park and keeps it open.

Chang will survive, as it has already been dismantled and is in pieces ready to be reassembled somewhere else. It's too big, too good, too popular, and too expensive to be scrapped.

Unfortunately for Kentucky, Chang will be rebuilt at a different Six Flags. Currently it is being stored at the Illinois park.

Cedar Point already has one of those!

Chang is somewhat bigger, but Mantis at Cedar Point was first. Both are good rides. :)

Yeah, but that's the real problem with Mantis. You stand in line forever for a two minute ride. I think I've ridden it twice. I'd rather stand in line for Raptor or one of the BIG BIG coasters that don't go upside down or corkscrew, but start out so high up you have to have balls to get on it. (*Your experience may vary.)

I definitely share your affinity for the giant runaway-train style rides. Give me a ride with an oversized profile and lap bars any day.

(But I should point out that Mantis is a bigger and longer ride than Raptor!)

Chang will survive, as it has already been dismantled and is in pieces ready to be reassembled somewhere else. It's too big, too good, too popular, and too expensive to be scrapped.

Unfortunately for Kentucky, Chang will be rebuilt at a different Six Flags. Currently it is being stored at the Illinois park.

I am honestly sad reading this. I've ridden Chang a number of times and I would have loved to do so again, its really diappointing that its already been taken down. I was hoping that when Six Flags took over Kentucky Kingdom that they would really save the park, but it seems that they couldn't. I also am wondering how much the lawsuit from the girl who lost her legs on the Superman Drop (or whatever they were calling it "Hellevator" "Carrot Drop") played into the park's failing.

Archived