Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: House bill would require more in-state matchups

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bal-sp.terpsfoot04feb04,0,3082757.story

State Del. Jay Walker, an ESPN college football commentator and former NFL player, has introduced House Bill 482, the Maryland Football Act, which would require the University of Maryland, a Football Bowl Subdivision school, to play at least one game every four years against Morgan State or Towson, two Football Championship Subdivision schools.

Walker said he was inspired to create the bill when he saw Maryland schedule FCS team James Madison instead of one of the state schools.

"The football commentator in me understands football," Walker said. "The legislator in me sees a way to help fund the football programs at our FCS schools properly. We've got one flagship program, Maryland, and two FCS teams, Towson and Morgan State. When you see Maryland play James Madison, you say: 'Wait - we have Towson and Morgan State. They could do so much for their programs with the proceeds from that game.'

"And Morgan and Towson should have the ability to play Maryland more than once in a lifetime. We want to see it happen on a more frequent basis."

As a Towson Alum, I like this idea. I always wanted to see Towson play UMD since they are so close to each other. I could see it working out well for Morgan and Towson more than it would UMD though. It would definitely help bring in money to the smaller schools. Maybe it could help get some more people to go to Towson or Morgan since they would get their shot at UMD every year.

Archived