Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wireless Internet Problem (HELP)

BayouBrave86

So I just got internet set up at the new place and I assumed I would have problems with my laptop connecting to the internet and what do you know, I have a problem. Wireless router is connected to desktop without wireless adapter via ethernet cable and all that. Anyway, my laptop can't connect. It's saying no network access. WTF? I'm really frustrated at this point. Just moved half way across the country and this is the last thing I need. It's saying wireless network connection doesnt have a valid ip configuration. :mad:

So I just got internet set up at the new place and I assumed I would have problems with my laptop connecting to the internet and what do you know, I have a problem. Wireless router is connected to desktop without wireless adapter via ethernet cable and all that. Anyway, my laptop can't connect. It's saying no network access. WTF? I'm really frustrated at this point. Just moved half way across the country and this is the last thing I need. It's saying wireless network connection doesnt have a valid ip configuration. :mad:

Can you connect to the network but not the Internet?

If you can't connect to your router (network) it's most likely an encryption problem. Make sure you are connecting with the proper security.

If you can authenticate to the router but the Internet does not show up, it's a DNS problem. If this is the case, try power cycling (turn it off, wait 15 seconds, plug it back in) your router.

Connect the router to the computer via cord:

try putting 198.168.1.1 or 198.168.2.2 as an internet address in your web brouser. Formy house, this lets me access my router. At that point, I can follow the windows to where it prompts for security settings. Make sure your computer and the network have same pass code. Make sure the have the same encryption type too.

I have no diea if this will help. I have to muddle my way through every time. Once router is set up, you can disconnect from the router and reconnect router to internet access point if you had to move it away from being connected. You should be able to see your router (network) on a list of available networks in your area. When you try ot connect, it should prompt you for the pass code you just set.

My advice, put your pass code in a file on your computer where you will remember where to find it. Set your computer to automatically connect if you will use the internet at that location frequently (it should be a check box to set as default).

Your wifi switch on your laptop is fine if you are detecting any network, if you are having issues with your password you will have to use your desktop to access the router.

URL is 192.168.1.1 or .2

Usually username/password to access router from site is defaulted to admin, try both as admin, or username as admin, or password as admin.

Once in go to the Wireless Security and change to preferred type of security (WEP,WPA-2, etc.)

Depending on what type of router you are using when you input a password it will auto generate another password for you, either way it should show you and the auto generated password will be under Input Key

At this point you have created your password and just need to go to your laptop, right click your wireless icon in your tray (bottom right of desktop screen), select connect to wireless network, select your network in the list (depending on your OS you may have to go into the wireless network settings to change the password/password type from what you previously put in as it may save those previous entries), and connect

long and drawn out but follow the steps should be a piece of cake

Archived