Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Woeful Wuerffel

Kyle

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20030806-111048-9874r.htm

Washington Times

Woeful Wuerffel

Danny Wuerffel had better be making a difference for the Redskins as a mentor to Patrick Ramsey, 'cause the ol' Gators quarterback isn't getting it done on the field. Wuerffel, signed by coach Steve Spurrier this week, has not looked good during the few opportunities he has had to line up under center.

Yesterday the former Heisman Trophy winner was given four snaps in 7-on-7 and full-squad drills. He threw interceptions on the first two (the second ball thrown with so little oomph that cornerback Champ Bailey had to wait for it to come to him before sprinting down the sideline for a touchdown). Wuerffel's third pass almost was picked off, too. On his fourth snap, the coaches wised up and just had him hand the ball off.

Wuerffel's performance was so abysmal, it made Spurrier completely forget about the wealth of positive things that actually happened yesterday morning.

Asked if he thought it was one of the best practice sessions of camp, Spurrier said, "No, I thought it was one of the worst for the offensive guys. ... Our quarterbacks looked lost sometimes. They were running around, hitching around, getting hung up. We don't have a chance if we do that in the games."

Spurrier later amended his harsh assessment, saying that it was a good practice for the majority of his players, just not his QBs (in particular, the one he goes back a ways with).

"Yesterday the former Heisman Trophy winner was given four snaps in 7-on-7 and full-squad drills. He threw interceptions on the first two (the second ball thrown with so little oomph that cornerback Champ Bailey had to wait for it to come to him before sprinting down the sideline for a touchdown). Wuerffel's third pass almost was picked off, too. On his fourth snap, the coaches wised up and just had him hand the ball off."

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Face it, DW's here as a coach, a mentor for Ramsey. It sounds like Johnson has stepped it up since DW came into to town, so as far as I'm concerned, that's a very positive result. DW will be third on the depth chart and it will take both Ramsey and Johnson going down with serious injuries before he gets in the game.

What DW will be doing during the games isj talking with Ramsey, going over the things he's seeing on the field, which will give SS more time to be the head coach.

Originally posted by gridironmike

I think the name Woeful fits him better anyhow. Alas, has anyone scarfed up Brad Banks yet? Maybe we can get him back!!!

Brad Banks is worse than Wuerffel. Sorry, but he sucked so bad at camp, Spurrier never even let him in a scrimmage. Mobility?? Ramsey was running harder than Banks.

I still don't understand why Spurrier and the Redskins just don't offer DW a job on the staff :)

Wuerffel said he would like to get into coaching after playing and being with Spurrier here in DC would seem to be a great fit.

But in all sincerity. Brad Banks brought nothing to the table.

So those who are lamenting his spot in preseason are really overreaching.

If SS wants DW so bad why not hire him as a coach? Are there any NFL restrictions in doing that? I agree that its taking up a good roster spot? Were is Jeff Geroge when you need him. Is he stil sitting around or did he go to Seattle?

As far as making the roster, SS said that Wuerful is here for the pre-season as an insurance policy, incase of an injury. Once cut time comes Wuerful is gone.

If they cut him, as long as there are no injuries that should happen, I think it would be good to keep him around as a extra coach so that he can help the QBs.

Originally posted by bulldog

I still don't understand why Spurrier and the Redskins just don't offer DW a job on the staff :)

Wuerffel said he would like to get into coaching after playing and being with Spurrier here in DC would seem to be a great fit.

Well, Ive read on many occasions that DW will not get into coaching after football. He will concentrate on his Ministry in New Orleans.

This is an article I found where he pretty much sums up his feeling on coaching.

http://www.nfleurope.com/chat/09062000_wuerffel_transcript.htm

Question: Unlike some of your previous coaches, i.e, Spurrier & Ditka, you have a very calm demeanor. Do you have any desire to coach after you retire from playing, and at what level?

Danny Wuerffel: I do have a desire. I think if I had many lives to live I would enjoy one in coaching but with only one, there are other things I would prefer to invest my time in.

Archived