Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Woeful Wuerffel

Kyle

Originally posted by jeostang

If SS wants DW so bad why not hire him as a coach? Are there any NFL restrictions in doing that? I agree that its taking up a good roster spot? Were is Jeff Geroge when you need him. Is he stil sitting around or did he go to Seattle?

Yeah, JEFF GEORGE...I'm tired of limp-wristed QBs, lets bring in somebody who can throw his INTs with some zip on the ball :laugh:

As far as making the roster, SS said that Wuerful is here for the pre-season as an insurance policy, incase of an injury. Once cut time comes Wuerful is gone.

Spurrier did not say that. He said DW is here to compete for the #2 position w/ RJ. (SOS hasn't specified what will happen to RJ or DW if they don't make it -- whether one will be cut, or if Hamdan will be put on the practice squad.)

Originally posted by Brown 43

How about Shane Mathews? He knows the system and he's not that bad for a second or third option?

Because for my money, Matthews was even worse than Waffle last year. I don't think SS liked him from the start.

Remember, SS said that there were no plans to sign Matthews and then the FO stepped in and inked him.

Matthews played a darn sight better than Wheurffel did. Besides, it doesn't matter what is said, Wheurffel won't be on the 53-man this year, he's just a cut waiting to happen. If we don't cut Wheurffel, I will go on record saying that Spurrier is the worst coach in history.

Hold on guys, those of you making statements to the extent that Spurrier is obsessed with DW or that Spurrier want's him around so bad are a little misguided or have been watching sportscenter too much.

First, Spurrier cut DW and had no plans in signing him, Johnson was signed as the back up.

Because Johnson has not picked up the system as quick as Spurrier had hoped, what option does he have at this point?

Seriously, if Johnson is not ready to play because he doesn't fully comprehend the offense, the ONLY option was to bring back Matthews or DW and Matthews is signed and a Bengal, that leaves DW. He at the very least knows the system.

Second, if Spurrier was so obsessed with him, why cut him at all, why name Ramsey the starter, why give Ramsey 80% of the work at camp?

This is all a bunch of over reaction. Personally, I would have kept DW as the 3rd stringer all along. He played decent enough to beat Dallas last year if it wasn't for Watson's fumble... While DW is not the "great one" so many Gator fans want to make him out to be, he is ok as a 3rd stringer. He is selfless and helps his teammates? If he was like Chris Chandler and wouldn't help Ramsey, then I think you might have a different situation.

The bottom line is that Johnson hasn't picked up Spurrer's system as fast as the coaches seem to think he should and a rookie project is nowhere close to being ready...

Archived