Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Sherm Lewis gone?

ThePreciating

I thought that too, someone even started a thread about this.

I noticed this as well. I'm thinking that Shanahan preferred coming into a no-loss situation. He can do better than 4 wins, with 4th string players. When it became evident that Zorn was a lost cause, there was no longer a benefit to winning games.

I'm definitely a tin-foil hat guy..

Hey, I've got a question for you guys that I've been curious about. When Vinny left before those last three games did anyone find it funny that the offense went with him? We looked amazing on offense right before he left averaging close to 30 points a game. I am thinking when he left Zorn took the play calling back from Lewis, because as soon as Vinny left we looked like weeks 1-5 again. I dont think anyone has addressed this but the decline in offensive production in the last three games got me to thinking. I actually expected us to win that Giants game or atleast make a run of it, but by the end of the first half I was horribly reminded of the first few weeks. Anyone notice this??

Remember when we thought Zorn's playcalling was amazing after 6 games last season? Other teams eventually catch on, and that's what I think happened to Sherm, teams finally picked up on his tendencies. I don't want to discredit Sherm's success, our offense is just atrocious.

Remember when we thought Zorn's playcalling was amazing after 6 games last season? Other teams eventually catch on, and that's what I think happened to Sherm, teams finally picked up on his tendencies. I don't want to discredit Sherm's success, our offense is just atrocious.

The difference is Sherm Lewis had YEARS AND YEARS of playcalling experince.Whereas Zorn peaked at Week 7 in 2008 and was never able to regain that "magic", if you will;).

Hey, I've got a question for you guys that I've been curious about. When Vinny left before those last three games did anyone find it funny that the offense went with him? We looked amazing on offense right before he left averaging close to 30 points a game. I am thinking when he left Zorn took the play calling back from Lewis, because as soon as Vinny left we looked like weeks 1-5 again. I dont think anyone has addressed this but the decline in offensive production in the last three games got me to thinking. I actually expected us to win that Giants game or atleast make a run of it, but by the end of the first half I was horribly reminded of the first few weeks. Anyone notice this??

I thought the exact same thing, the creativity and unpredictable calls just vanished. I chalked it up to Allen letting Zorn audition for his next gig and he proved he's at best a QB coach, if that!

Sherm Lewis was brought in as a consultant because of his expertise with the West Coast offense. With that gone, he's not here either.

I do have to give him credit though, I thought bringing him in would be a debacle of epic proportions, but I thought he did a decent job, considering the circumstances... I repeat, considering the circumstances.

I thought the exact same thing, the creativity and unpredictable calls just vanished. I chalked it up to Allen letting Zorn audition for his next gig and he proved he's at best a QB coach, if that!

I ask Murf about it, he said he did not think this was the case. But I have to agree it sure looked like Zorns handiwork. Is it just me or does Zorn come of like he is kind of spun ?

I don't think Zorn cared as much as about the play calling as he did day counting.

I think the offense and the defense both had a let downs those last three games. The season was over, the coach was going to be let go, and what passed as a GM was gone.

The difference is Sherm Lewis had YEARS AND YEARS of playcalling experince.Whereas Zorn peaked at Week 7 in 2008 and was never able to regain that "magic", if you will;).

Does he have years of play calling exp? I thought he was just an O coordinator and nothing more.

Does he have years of play calling exp? I thought he was just an O coordinator and nothing more.

34years worth.

Sherman Lewis (born June 29, 1942, in Louisville, Kentucky), is an American football coach and former player. He was most recently an offensive consultant and offensive play-caller for the Washington Redskins of the NFL.[1]

He spent thirty-four years as a coach, but had been out of football since the end of the 2004 season before joining the Redskins weeks into the 2009 season, where he replaced head coach Jim Zorn as the team's offensive play-caller after the sixth game of the season. He attended Michigan State University as an undergrad and later received his graduate degree from Michigan State in education administration.

Lewis began his football career at Michigan State as a halfback. He was named to the College Football All-America Team and finished third behind winner Roger Staubach and runner-up Billy Lothridge for the Heisman Trophy in 1963. His professional playing career included parts of the 1964 and 1965 seasons with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.

After a brief career as a professional football player, he was hired as an assistant coach for the football team at his alma mater, Michigan State, from 1969 through 1982. He went on to become the receivers coach for Bill Walsh, under whom the San Francisco 49ers won three Super Bowls. Subsequently, in 1992, he became the offensive coordinator for Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Holmgren.

On October 6, 2009, Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder announced that Lewis had come out of retirement to serve as an offensive consultant for the team under head coach Jim Zorn. On October 19, ESPN reported that the Redskins had taken away play calling duties from Zorn and given them to Lewis

From a Wilbon article:

There was some suggestion then that Lewis wasn't calling the plays that season for Brett Favre (how ironic). And Holmgren said rather testily in support of his lieutenant, "First of all, that is a lame reason. Anybody who uses that reason for not hiring a coach is really scrambling, in my opinion. There have been a lot of coaches who have been hired that haven't called the plays. He is the offensive coordinator. He conducts the offensive meetings. He speaks to the offensive team. In essence, he is the head coach of the offense."

Lewis did call the plays for the Packers when Holmgren left and in Minnesota after that and did a pretty darn good job some of the time. Some of the time he didn't, which is why the head coach of the Vikings, Dennis Green, stripped him of play-calling at one point.

I understand he has a long history teaching the west co offense and as an O coordinator, but everything I have read seems to point out that he never had much play calling exp, and when he was given that responsibility, he struggled.

Archived