Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2009 Redskins vs Chargers (FINAL)

themurf

ES Coverage: 2009 Redskins vs Chargers

1/3/10

zorn010310.JPG

DEFEAT.

Chargers 23 - Redskins 20

:helmet:

Hello everyone and welcome. I am Brian Murphy, but you can call me murf. Along with the man, the myth, the legend, Sir Arthur Mills, I will attempt to bring you the best coverage a messageboard covering a 4-13 team possibly can.

For starters, it’s beautiful here. Like ridiculously perfect weather. After covering awful games in less-than-ideal weather, this is a welcome season ender. And that’s a nice transition to the theme of the day: “The End.”

We’re all fairly confident this game will mercifully end the Jim Zorn era in Washington. While it was fun at first to embrace the maroon and black, it’s definitely time for this team to move in a new direction. Never before in my life have I been around so many ‘Skins fans who honestly have lost all hope that their favorite football team can actually win on Sundays.

This game could also be the finale for several other Redskins. Jason Campbell. Carlos Rogers. Rock Cartwright. Half a dozen guys on the injured list, like Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and more. Whoever is hired next, it’s safe to say will work with newly-appointed general manager Bruce Allen to radically alter this roster.

In fact, upon seeing me at the team hotel yesterday, one Redskins player actually cracked me up with his greeting:

"I'm surprised you're actually out here. Would have thought you'd stay back to cover everything about to happen."

So yeah … this game against the San Diego Chargers is more of a formality than an actual regular season contest. Think of it as a preseason game. The Chargers will likely win without much hassle, and still be able to rest their key players in advance of the playoffs. The Redskins, for other reasons (poor draft decisions, injuries, etc.), will also field a preseason caliber roster.

Take, for example, the safety positions. Chris Horton, Reeds Doughty and LaRon Landry are all out with various injuries. That leaves Kareem Moore and … well … Kareem Moore to play safety. Word is Fred Smoot will see plenty of time at safety today, but honestly, is that a good thing? I won’t even mention that Moore has been battling an ankle injury for weeks now, so who knows what happens if he gets hurt during the game.

I’d suggest playing Albert Haynesworth back there because he’s unhappy with the way he’s been utilized this season, but he’s inactive again today. Guess they’ll have to figure something else out.

INACTIVES

Redskins:

WR - Devin Thomas

CB - Marcus McCauley

RB - P.J. Hill

LB - Alvin Bowen

LB - Curtis Gatewood

S - LaRon Landry

DT - Albert Haynesworth

QB - Dick Bartel (3rd QB)

Chargers:

WR - Legedu Naanee

FB - Jacob Hester

FS - Eric Weddle

LB - Shawne Merriman

DE - Jacques Cesaire

C - Eric Ghiaciuc

WR - Vincent Jackson

A few notes:

As most of you know, I will be on the sidelines during the game. I encourage everybody to follow me on Twitter to keep up with the latest. Besides, where else will you find a link to a story involving me, Sam Huff and Vietnam?

If you're up for multi-tasking, you can also follow Art's live blog here. Warning: not all of the content may be suitable for young and impressionable types.

MURF ON TWITTER

Fletcher, Campbell, Sellers, Cartwright and Griffin handle coin toss. Anyone other than Fletcher gonna be here next season?

Will the next coaching staff actually be smart enough to use Brian Orakpo the right way and stop dropping him in coverage?

Seriously, one coach should be fired every time Orakpo is asked to cover Antonio Gates.

Even in shorts on the sideline, Albert Haynesworth looks winded.

In the last 9 quarters, the Redskins have been outscored 72-12. Not good times.

Honestly, I wouldn't punt again this season. I mean, what's it gonna hurt at this point?

Chargers coaches to defensive players after Yoder's TD: "Come on now. We're better than that, men."

Just won a dollar betting some clueless SD cameraman that Randle El would fair catch that punt. Talk about easy money.

Consider it a longshot, but I was told by a reliable source that Bruce Allen and Bill Cowher have talked and could work together.

Skins get an INT and fumble recovery on the same play. Can you feel the preseason magic?

Phillip Rivers highlights to the tune of the Dixie Chicks? You can't make this stuff up.

Fred Smoot called it before the snap. "This is a pass." Chargers take the lead.

In a fitting ending to a disappointing Redskins season, Fred Smoot sat alone in the corner of the locker room singing "Ain't No Sunshine."

Phillip Daniels: "I just believe if we get the right group of guys that believe they can win, then we can do a lot of things around here."

Daniels: "Sometimes your 80 or 90 percent might be better than a young guy's 100 percent, you know? That's what some guys gotta learn."

PHOTOS

4242632877_8c1c574e3c.jpg

To see a slideshow of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

To see the complete set of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes click HERE

To listen to comments from Andre Carter click HERE

To listen to comments from Phillip Daniels click HERE

To listen to comments from Cornelius Griffin click HERE

To listen to comments from Malcolm Kelly click HERE

To listen to comments from Kareem Moore click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to comments from Carlos Rogers click HERE

Great effort Al.

Seriously though, thanks for the coverage. You guys really are the best.

I do have one request:

Can we please get some photos of the Chargers cheerleaders?

Honestly, we have tons of pics of the beautiful Skins cheerleaders.....but it never hurts to scout the other teams.

What do you think? And enjoy the game.

Can we please get some photos of the Chargers cheerleaders?

Honestly, we have tons of pics of the beautiful Skins cheerleaders.....but it never hurts to scout the other teams.

I concur, the Chargers are my 2nd fav cheerleading corps and i think its an issue of the highest order to judge their assests.

Archived