Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 Tacklers of All Time (The Snubbing of London Fletcher)

Commander Adama

Top 10 Tacklers of All Time

1. Randy Gradishar - 2,049 (*10 Seasons 7 Pro Bowls)

2. Junior Seau - 1826 (19 Seasons 12 Pro Bowls)

3. Ray Lewis - 1758 (14 Seasons 11 Pro Bowls)

4. Zach Thomas - 1737 (13 Seasons 7 Pro Bowls)

5. Derrick Brooks - 1719 (14 Seasons 11 Pro Bowls)

6. Donnie Edwards - 1511 (13 Seasons 0 Pro Bowls)

7. London Fletcher - 1496 (12 Seasons 0 Pro Bowls)

8. Mike Singletary - 1488 (*12 Seasons 10 Pro Bowls Hall of Fame)

9. Jack Lambert - 1479 (*11 Seasons 9 Pro Bowls Hall of Fame)

10. Lawyer Milloy - 1354 (14 Seasons 4 Pro Bowls)

*-no longer active

There are 3 things that stand out to me:

1. Randy Gradishar has been robbed of the Hall of Fame!

2. London Fletcher has surpassed both Jack Lambert and Mike Singletary yet has 0 Pro Bowls!!!

3. Donnie Edwards has been snubbed as well for the Pro Bowl!

Now if Randy Gradishar has not made the Hall of Fame where does that leave London Fletcher in terms of entering the Hall of Fame after he retires??

Any feedback or discussions would be great. Also, please correct me if my numbers are incorrect.

I posted a few weeks ago a comparion between Lewis, Fletcher, and Urlacher. Fletcher is right there with the two of them, yet doesn't get nearly the amount of credit. Is it because his teams don't win? He has a Super Bowl with the Rams, so that can't be it. I guess it's because he isn't as flashy or talk as much as the other two. But his stats are very similar to both of them. I feel so bad for him, he's put up HoF numbers, yet can't make a Pro Bowl.

guys, its not hard to see why he doesnt make the probowl: he never makes flashy plays. hes just the best blue collar linebacker of all time, but he rarely has any "wow" moments. he just plays every game, and does his job very well.

most probowl players are game changers. fletcher is not a game changer. if anyone has watched a San Fran or a Ravens game, you can see the difference between Willis, lewis, and fletcher.

hell, even orakpo in his rookie year has made more flashy game changing plays than fletcher.

tackles can be misleading. If an avearge player is on a poor defense, then he's going to have to make more tackles.

However, London Fletcher is a great MLB, he is very instictive and disciplined, extremely athletic, and a class act. It seems being a class act hurts him.

Art Monk was a class act and a quiet, humble man. Not doing interviews hurt him because Peter king and Len Pasquerelli held that against him.

guys, its not hard to see why he doesnt make the probowl: he never makes flashy plays. hes just the best blue collar linebacker of all time, but he rarely has any "wow" moments. he just plays every game, and does his job very well.

most probowl players are game changers. fletcher is not a game changer. if anyone has watched a San Fran or a Ravens game, you can see the difference between Willis, lewis, and fletcher.

hell, even orakpo in his rookie year has made more flashy game changing plays than fletcher.

best post i've ever seen you make. couldn't agree with you more.

fletcher has a lot of good numbers - and probably should make the probowl.

but he isn't flashy - or a game changer. he just does his job. not saying that doesn't deserve the pro bowl - but thinking about it that way gives it a little perspective.

edit: fletcher is going to wind up like Art Monk. Good numbers, reliable and dependable, a class act - but at the end of the day he isn't flashy, and (for better or worse) doesn't draw attention to himself. great set to have from a player in my opinion - but it doesn't do much for HoF and Pro Bowl nominations. Which is a shame. If the NFL rewarded 'just doing your job', and being a class act, i personally think it would be a much better league. Unfortunately it rewards people who act like showboats and attention whores.

So lets clarify...in order to make the pro-bowl you have to be an absolute ass and beat your chest and scream for every tackle...

another issue that know one has considered is that Ray Lewis played for the best defense of the last decade...this allowed him almost on a regular basis to run free and get easy tackles. Fletch has been forced to shed blockers and still manage to get almost equal stats...

Just to clarify, I am not saying that Fletch is a better LB then Lewis, I am just stating that Fletch doesnt get the recognition he deserves

best post i've ever seen you make. couldn't agree with you more.

fletcher has a lot of good numbers - and probably should make the probowl.

but he isn't flashy - or a game changer. he just does his job. not saying that doesn't deserve the pro bowl - but thinking about it that way gives it a little perspective.

edit: fletcher is going to wind up like Art Monk. Good numbers, reliable and dependable, a class act - but at the end of the day he isn't flashy, and (for better or worse) doesn't draw attention to himself. great set to have from a player in my opinion - but it doesn't do much for HoF and Pro Bowl nominations. Which is a shame. If the NFL rewarded 'just doing your job', and being a class act, i personally think it would be a much better league. Unfortunately it rewards people who act like showboats and attention whores.

at least art monk made some probowls, was on 3 superbowl teams, and was considered a 3rd down conversion machine. he also set the record for most receptions by the time he retired (if i remember correctly).

and i dont think its about showboating, its about "wow" moments, and fletcher doesnt have any.

So lets clarify...in order to make the pro-bowl you have to be an absolute ass and beat your chest and scream for every tackle...

Yep. Exactly.

Or you could act like a thug while your team is losing so you can get personal recognition. That's another sure fire way to get in the PB.

at least art monk made some probowls, was on 3 superbowl teams, and was considered a 3rd down conversion machine. he also set the record for most receptions by the time he retired (if i remember correctly).

and i dont think its about showboating, its about "wow" moments, and fletcher doesnt have any.

Monk had a slew of records when he retired. Basically, most of Rices records, used to be Arts.

another issue that know one has considered is that Ray Lewis played for the best defense of the last decade...this allowed him almost on a regular basis to run free and get easy tackles. Fletch has been forced to shed blockers and still manage to get almost equal stats...

Just to clarify, I am not saying that Fletch is a better LB then Lewis, I am just stating that Fletch doesnt get the recognition he deserves

i'm not saying its the way it should be, but yes people normally make the pro-bowl based on popularity - not actual production.

every year there are people who get snubbed in this way.

i agree, fletcher doesn't get the recognition he deserves. but i'm not sure you can argue with the facts - we went through this last year with fred taylor too. one of the best backs in the league last yer, only made it to the pro bowl after he made a big fuss and someone got injured.

Off the top of my head all I can think of is his INT return for a TD in the Arizona game in 07, which was awesome. He ran it back and leapt into the corner of the endzone over a pile of players. That was the only reason we won that game.

If Ray Lewis does that, he'd dance and scream like an animal for 5 minutes and it would get played on Sportscenter 40 times a day for the next 3 weeks while ESPN devoted 20 minute segments to talk about how awesome Ray Lewis is.

I thought stopping people on 3rd down and not allowing any YAC is a game changer? Doesn't the game change when you get your O back on the field?

I guess if you don't have sacks or strip the ball each time then you aren't pro-bowl worthy or a game changer.

by your measuring tool, anytime you gain a yard or stop a team, that player is a game changer.

sorry, if you cant see the difference between fletcher and guys like willis or ray lewis, youre not watching the same games.

Off the top of my head all I can think of is his INT return for a TD in the Arizona game in 07, which was awesome. He ran it back and leapt into the corner of the endzone over a pile of players. That was the only reason we won that game.

If Ray Lewis does that, he'd dance and scream like an animal for 5 minutes and it would get played on Sportscenter 40 times a day for the next 3 weeks while ESPN devoted 20 minute segments to talk about how awesome Ray Lewis is.

lol, probably true. but ray is a true leader, which fletcher is not.

have you ever watched ray lewis get that team ready for battle? its so inspiring it makes me wanna strap on a helmet and go to war lol. that leadership quality goes a long way as well, which fletcher doesnt have either.

fletcher is nothing special, hes just extremely sound. put it this way:

if youre an o coordinator, are you more scared of london fletcher or ray lewis?

Archived