Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins' Davis finally catches on

terrifNick21

Also found another interesting link (Yes I've been googling) :

http://www.dentonrc.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/fromthe50/stories/DN-090809dnsponflnewsletter.State.Edition1.30d443e.html

"The Wildcat was the fashionable offensive formation in the NFL in 2008.

The Miami Dolphins introduced it in their upset of the New England Patriots on the third weekend. By season's end, it seems half the teams had incorporated the formation into the playbook.

During my tour of training camps this summer, I sensed another trend emerging on offense – the two-tight end set. The Houston Texans have already made a sizable investment in that formation, carrying four tight ends on their 2009 roster.

It's all common sense to Texans coach Gary Kubiak, who sees the multi-tight end sets beneficial to both his passing and running games.

"Protection is No. 1 in this league," Kubiak said. "If you can't protect your quarterback, it doesn't matter how good you are offensively. If he gets beaten up, you're not going to be successful. A two-tight end [package] widens those great defensive ends. It allows you to chip [block] on your way out and slow those guys down.

"It also balances the field so you can go either way when you run the ball. There are a lot of advantages to it. But it all starts with keeping your quarterback upright."

I don't think I've caught a full Houston game this season, but if they were running a bunch of two TE sets, then maybe Shanahan Jr. will really like what he sees in Cooley/Davis IF he comes to DC. Could be a major reason both of them stay around.

Whether or not we should try to trade Cooley, if(when) Shanahan's here, he'll probably love having two excellent pass-catching TE's with all the roll-outs and bootlegs Shanny runs. Especially since the OL will still be rough/in transition, we'll need some good dump off guys who can produce some YAC on all those plays for whoever is QB.

Edit: and HailToTheRedskins14's point about Houston/ShannyJr. liking two TE-sets only reinforces this.

These guys can be as good as the opportunities afforded them. You can see every time Thomas or Davis touches the ball they are giving it everything they've got and their skill sets/athletic abilities are impressive. Problem is we just haven't given them the opportunities. If we have a coach that can come in and not just presumably say sure I want to use all these guys, but actually come in and get them the ball, I am all for keeping two excellent tight ends. But if he comes in and you've got one guy getting 7 throws his direction a game and the other only gets in the game occasionally and maybe sees 1-2 throws a game, it's not worth it to keep both because there aren't enough opportunities for them to really hurt a defense.

Archived