Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins' Davis finally catches on

terrifNick21

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/24/redskins-davis-finally-catches-on/

Two months ago, Fred Davis' career numbers were negligible. The Washington Redskins' second-year tight end had 10 catches for 72 yards and no touchdowns in 17 games as an infrequently used backup to Chris Cooley.

So when Cooley broke his right ankle in Week 6, the Redskins were worried.

"When Chris went down, we were like, 'Oh my,' " center Casey Rabach said.

But Davis stepped up with eight catches for 78 yards and a touchdown that night against Philadelphia, and he hasn't stopped producing since. In his past eight games, Davis has 33 catches for 389 yards and six touchdowns. Five of those touchdowns have come in the past four games.

His six touchdowns rank fourth among NFL tight ends and are twice as many as any other Redskins player has scored.

"He's our most improved player," coach Jim Zorn raved. "He has learned his assignments. He doesn't make many errors. He wants the ball. I've been very impressed."

Click link for rest of article.

Some ESers will blast you for saying this but you are correct.

No, this line of thinking really makes no sense. Everytime we get two good players at one position, are we going to trade one of them? That's not how to build a team. We're supposed to try to develop as much talent as we can, not keep trading it away.

Davis certainly is catching on, and a huge difference in the offense next year can come from having two starting-caliber TEs. That creates more mismatch problems for defenders, will open big plays up for receivers, help run game blocking and give the QB (especially if it's JC) two good receivers who he's comfortable with. It's something that can be unique to us, and we shouldn't just trade it away.

The 2-TE set with two premier pass-catchers and the spread offense were supposed to be two formations that Zorn was going to lean heavily on as staples of his offense when he was hired. We saw brief glimpses of the potential in the first Giants game. Unfortunately, once Samuels and Thomas went down, going to the spread was a surefire way to kill Campbell. I still don't know why we tried using it as much as we did on Monday night.

It will definitely be interesting to see how Shanahan uses both Cooley and Davis. We will probably create the most offensive mismatches when they're both on the field. The 2 TE set is also ideal for all of the stretch plays and bootlegs Shanahan employs in his predominately singleback formations.

Campbell is clearly most comfortable when throwing to the tight end. And having two big-bodied, able pass catchers in between the numbers will definitely help any rookie QB come into the league. As teams are throwing more and more short passes as a substitute for rushing plays, athletic past-catching tight ends will become even more valued than they are now (especially considering the trend over the last 5-10 years). That we have two top players at this position will certainly help us get ahead of the curve, at least in this one regard.

:applause:

I'd like to see:

WR1-DT

WR2-MK

WR3-Moss (slot)

WR4-Mitchell

Cut ARE...find someone else to handle kick and punt return duties.

How about this:

WR1 - DT

WR2 - MK

Slot - SM

TE1 - Cooley

TE2 - Sleepy

Rotate Ganther and Marko in and out. Good luck defense.

No way do we get rid of Cooley that would be so stupid. Its not like we have very many playmakers as it is on offense. We need them both in my opinon.

People are so quick to forget how good Cooley really is.

We can line Davis up at receiver at times as well.......thats what Green Bay does with Finley.

Now that Davis is learning his routes and assignments I think running the 2TE set will reap rewards. As we know its a long season and having 2 TE's who can rotate and sub in when one gets injured is OK by me.

that is unless someone dangles a 1st rounder in front of us........

Now that Davis is learning his routes and assignments I think running the 2TE set will reap rewards. As we know its a long season and having 2 TE's who can rotate and sub in when one gets injured is OK by me.

that is unless someone dangles a 1st rounder in front of us........

If someone dangles a first rounder then sure.....I will get rid of just about any player on the team for that.

But it would be TOTALLY assinine for a team to give up a 1st rounder for Chris Cooley.....im talking worst trade in the history of football.

Why wouldnt they just draft there own 22 year old, not coming off a broken ankle elite tight end with that 1st rounder?

Yea, he catches on because he got an opportunity, with a bunch of balls thrown at him per game.

If the same amount of balls went to MK or DT consistantly in these games, we'd be reading about them. But because JC relies heavily on TE's, Davis will be the stand out of the 3.

Yea, he catches on because he got an opportunity, with a bunch of balls thrown at him per game.

If the same amount of balls went to MK or DT consistantly in these games, we'd be reading about them. But because JC relies heavily on TE's, Davis will be the stand out of the 3.

Exactly. Which is why Cooley, if traded would probably not look as good either.

Which is why there is no way in freaken hell your getting a 1st rounder or probably even a second for Cooley.

Which is why you keep him, and have as many playmakers on offense as possible.

I remember during the bye week, he was the only player to stay and work with the recievers coach....hard worker who got an opportunity and is making the best of it. Well done FD, still learning and should only get better. BIG target, has the ability for nice YAC's. He is probably the one player who has really used this terrible season as a nice springboard for next year.

The 2-TE set with two premier pass-catchers and the spread offense were supposed to be two formations that Zorn was going to lean heavily on as staples of his offense when he was hired.

We will probably create the most offensive mismatches when they're both on the field. The 2 TE set is also ideal for all of the stretch plays and bootlegs Shanahan employs in his predominately singleback formations.

agreed... I just can't believe how some fans look at cooley as expendable now when we have the potential to create havoc with both of them on the field at the same time... if you just think about the match up problems they would create with LBs or safeties covering them, and their ability to stay in and block, it would be flat out dumb to give that up for picks...

we finally freaking have something! we have something specific better than any other team in the league and, yet, fans want to trade it away for the potential of something else... doesn't add up to me...

Exactly. Which is why Cooley, if traded would probably not look as good either.

Which is why there is no way in freaken hell your getting a 1st rounder or probably even a second for Cooley.

Which is why you keep him, and have as many playmakers on offense as possible.

Say Tony G retires this year, he ATL would offer a solid pick for him, but i doubt a first rounder (just an example). TE's can come out of no where if you know how to look, IE Brent Celek.

That's because too many fans here are drinking the Burgundy and Gold Kool-aid... When really they should realize that we can get good value for Cooley in terms of a draft pick to build to the future.

What is good value for Cooley?

Not a chance your getting a 1st or 2nd.

Anything less than those 2 we should keep him, and run 2 TE sets as well as split Davis outwide at times.

We need to get rid of players that are the root of the problem and replace them with better players.

Cooley is NOT the problem and he is one of our best and most productive players. Some of you have a quick trigger finger when it comes to Cooley.

Offensive line (starters and back-ups) and running back are the main issues on offense, NOT TE. Let's improve those areas before getting rid of the quality playmakers at other positions...i.e. Cooley.

Sleepy has been an absolute MONSTER in fantasy. I picked him up as soon as Cooley went on IR, and he's been one of the most productive players.

On the field, he seems to be running decent routes and they also seem to be using him in protection a lot (I don't pay enough attention to whether he's been any good in protection, however). He's got great hands though, and he's very much like Sellers in that he's impossible to bring down.

He's a pro bowler if he starts all year. I'm sorry, I love Cooley as much as anyone but he's definitely expendable at this point.

I agree with you. It kinda sucks knowing one of our fan favorites is unnecessary, but it's the NFL and it's a business. If he can get us a 2nd and a 5th, or a 3rd and a 5th, I think you make the move.

And yes, people are upset about it, but it ain't our fault we used a 2nd round pick on a TE when we had a Pro Bowl TE already on the roster.

No, this line of thinking really makes no sense. Everytime we get two good players at one position, are we going to trade one of them? That's not how to build a team. We're supposed to try to develop as much talent as we can, not keep trading it away.

Davis certainly is catching on, and a huge difference in the offense next year can come from having two starting-caliber TEs. That creates more mismatch problems for defenders, will open big plays up for receivers, help run game blocking and give the QB (especially if it's JC) two good receivers who he's comfortable with. It's something that can be unique to us, and we shouldn't just trade it away.

Couldn't have said it better Myself! Well Done. Plus you can't trade away a player that produces every year for someone who has had a great STRETCH of games. If he produces next year then MAYBE!

Despite my interest in possibly getting rid of Cooley, I would LOVE to keep him and actually run some two TE sets. This coaching staff has just failed all around. They've messed up with Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly, and they never used a two TE set. I'm just wondering WTF they were doing for 2 years.

If we get a coaching staff that will actually do it instead of talking about it, I'm all for it. Here's Brian Billick breaking down two TE sets used by Da Bears. I won't pretend to know a lot about the in's and out's, but it does seem like they're almost dictating what kind of defense the opposing team runs when they bring out two tight ends.

At about 1:40 in the video, we see Olsen I believe lined up one-on-one with a LB. That would be game over for Cooley/Davis. Would be a huge weapon...although we ARE talking video from DA BEARS who have a hugely disappointing offense, but the point remains. I'd love to see it, but I think this stupid ass coaching staff has gotten a lot of people jaded and made us almost give up on the idea.

EDIT - LINK :

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d80c49f6c/Playbook-Billick-on-2-tight-end-sets

Archived