Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Shanahan next on the Redskins' wish list

gorebd82

Didn't see this posted

Source: Shanahan next on the Redskins' wish list

Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2009 1:04 PM ET

With the Washington Redskins successfully making a mockery of the Rooney Rule by announcing via e-mail the hiring of General Manager Bruce Allen exactly 114 minutes after announcing via e-mail that the job had become vacant, there's another fairly significant step in this remaking of the franchise.

Per a league source with knowledge of the current dynamics of the organization, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has been targeted by the Redskins as the next head coach.

And even though Allen currently is getting the press, the guy who'll be running the show is Shanahan.

The Redskins quietly have been pursuing Shanahan for months. Reports emerged earlier in the season that Shanahan twice rejected offers to become the team's new coach. The thinking was that Shanahan wanted to survey other possible vacancies before making a commitment.

And while he has made no commitment to the Redskins, we're told that the resignation of Cerrato and the hiring of Allen is the first tangible step in the process.

So even though Allen and Shanahan have no history of collaboration and despite more obvious ties between Allen and former Bucs and Raiders coach Jon Gruden, the source predicts very confidently that coach Jim Zorn eventually will quit or be fired -- and that Shanahan will get the job.

The only remaining question is whether the announcements will be made 114 minutes apart.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/17/source-shanahan-next-on-the-redskins-wish-list/

Sorry about the link.

I think Shanahan makes sense. Maybe he wants total control over player decisions but needed someone to help crunch the numbers. Allen is the best in the league at that and can give the Redskins cap releif so Shanahan can bring in his players. Allen had TB 40million under the cap because the Glazers are the cheapest owners in football. Imagine what he would have done if they opened up the checkbook a little bit. Allen will dismantle this team of overpaid veterans like Thomas, Portis, Griffin and others. Shanahan will then be able to get his guys. This is part of a bigger plan. Shanahan learned in Denver, he can not do both effectively but wants the final say so.

Shanahan would be a big mistake, I would rather give Zorn another year than to hire that rat.

I don't know that Shanny would be a mistake, but I like Zorn and want nothing more than for him to take the Redskins to the Superbowl.

That said, I think there is a zero percent chance he is here next year.

Archived