Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bruce Allen's First Task: Repair the Fissures of Cerrato's Making (Jenkins) (MET)

Thirtyfive2seven

Hmmm. Interesting article that opens up a ton of debate. Why has Zorn out lasted Cerrato? Why did Cerrato give Zorn a silent face slap upon departure? Why would Snyder seemingly side with Zorn in this choosing of sides? Does Zorn have a legitimate shot of keeping his job? I expect a full on topical debate these next few weeks... and its sure going to be a nice aside from debating JC's skill... or lackthereof every day

Hmmm. Interesting article that opens up a ton of debate. Why has Zorn out lasted Cerrato? Why did Cerrato give Zorn a silent face slap upon departure? Why would Snyder seemingly side with Zorn in this choosing of sides? Does Zorn have a legitimate shot of keeping his job? I expect a full on topical debate these next few weeks... and its sure going to be a nice aside from debating JC's skill... or lackthereof every day

Kinda like the opposite of the Marty S situation.

Personnel issues aside, the way Cerrato has conducted himself is unbecoming for a franchise steeped in as much tradition as the Washing Redskins.

Cerrato is vindictive, a poor communicator and simply not a very trustworthy individual. The sad part is, with Snyder not making himself available to the media he was the defacto voice of the Washington Redskins.

The comments Schottenheimer made in respect to Cerrato paint a pretty ugly picture, and the way he's handled the Sherman Lewis hire and Zorn's demotion illustrated that the guy hasn't changed one bit since.

Bruce Allen, successful or not, will bring a level of professionalism back that this franchise has been missing for a long time.

Outside of Snyder Cerrato has been the one constant in this equation and I'm glad that Snyder finally had the guts to make the move that has been long overdue.

Funny you mention this. I was listening to Siriuis NFL radio VERY briefly today (not referencing the thread from a few days ago) and there was someone on (I figured it was Schottenheimer) talking about VC. They said theydid not like them as a talent evaluator or as a person. Anyone else hear this too?

pot meet kettle. Jenkins has been just as vindictive and poisonous as she claims Cerrato has been in his tenure here.

Cerrato had faults, even I said he needed better direction over him. But just because Jenkins is trying to heap all blame solely on his shoulders and it agrees with opinions of some, doesn't mean she's "hit the nail on the head." There are many to blame for 4-9, and while it starts at the top, Jenkins' agenda limits full blame to one person, when all of us know that many are to blame. It seems disengeuous, to me, to try to absolve the HC and others of guilt under the guise of "it starts at the top." Many are to blame, not just one.

Plus, you know the second there is doubt over a move, she will likely be one of the first leading the pitchfork crew. Jenkins is using this article to validate her agenda, IMO, and nothing more. That's why she doesn't really talk so much as to what she thinks Allen should/will do, and more focuses on the damage caused by Cerrato, the same damage she has coincidentally been saying is Cerrato and Snyder's fault all along.

pot meet kettle. Jenkins has been just as vindictive and poisonous as she claims Cerrato has been in his tenure here.

Cerrato had faults, even I said he needed better direction over him. But just because Jenkins is trying to heap all blame solely on his shoulders and it agrees with opinions of some, doesn't mean she's "hit the nail on the head." There are many to blame for 4-9, and while it starts at the top, Jenkins' agenda limits full blame to one person, when all of us know that many are to blame. It seems disengeuous, to me, to try to absolve the HC and others of guilt under the guise of "it starts at the top." Many are to blame, not just one.

Plus, you know the second there is doubt over a move, she will likely be one of the first leading the pitchfork crew. Jenkins is using this article to validate her agenda, IMO, and nothing more. That's why she doesn't really talk so much as to what she thinks Allen should/will do, and more focuses on the damage caused by Cerrato, the same damage she has coincidentally been saying is Cerrato and Snyder's fault all along.

I dont think its so much "she hit the nail on the head" as much a I think she captured the feelings of the Redskins fanbase. I dont care for Jenkins anymore tha you do. Just saying...

I dont think its so much "she hit the nail on the head" as much a I think she captured the feelings of the Redskins fanbase. I dont care for Jenkins anymore tha you do. Just saying...

I agree. I think "hitting the nail on the head" in this case simply means saying what others have been saying. Jenkins is a prime example of yellow journalism, IMO.

You know. Ive been a lot less critical of vinny in the past. Ive actually given him some credit on a lot of things. But his treatment of Zorn is beyond classless. I really hope this piece of **** never gets a football related job again.

Nobody seemed to have a problem with Zorn losing play calling duties when the Lewis experiment wound up working. Most wanted Zorn gone long before then. But now we want to keep Zorn because Jenkins says he's a victim? I disagree with that. Zorn was in over his head from day 1, and given the lack of offensive production before, and the success of Lewis since, I don't see how the right move is suddenly the wrong move.

Nobody seemed to have a problem with Zorn losing play calling duties when the Lewis experiment wound up working. Most wanted Zorn gone long before then. But now we want to keep Zorn because Jenkins says he's a victim? I disagree with that. Zorn was in over his head from day 1, and given the lack of offensive production before, and the success of Lewis since, I don't see how the right move is suddenly the wrong move.

I never said Zorn should stay. Personally I want Shanahan. I dont think Zorn is ready to be a HC. But say what you will, it was Vinny who chose Zorn. His classless act and deplorable treatment of Zorn this year was way over the line.

Well, Zorn was a chance hire to begin with. He had no experience. I cant credit the turn around all to Lewis. After all, it was Zorns playbook, personell, and packages that Lewis is calling. I think Lewis just knew what to use, and when to use it.

IMO, Zorn had not learned the ins and outs of playcalling bcause he never was a play caller. I htink Zorn is a good coach in the making. He is far from perfect. But his leadership has been great, most locker rooms woud have turned on him. His work wih JC has made the kid look night and day different.

It is a combination of things that cause the failures of any team... but the one "constant" through all of this is Vinny Cerrato. Trading away draft picks at whoevers whim is just the tip of that iceberg...

I never said Zorn should stay. Personally I want Shanahan. I dont think Zorn is ready to be a HC. But say what you will, it was Vinny who chose Zorn. His classless act and deplorable treatment of Zorn this year was way over the line.

I didn't say you said Zorn should stay, sorry if that's the impression you got. I disagree though, that Zorn losing playcalling duties was a classless move. It has turned out to be the right move, and until this Jenkins article I hadn't seen many, if any, saying the move was classless, because it worked out. Jenkins is merely portraying Zorn as an innocent victim to further villify Cerrato, which has been a big agenda of hers for a long time, IMO.

I do not like Jenkins at all. Some of her articles have been terrible. Today she actually wrote a good piece until that last bit about "loyalty". Loyalty to the Danny is what got Vinny in trouble and blind loyalty to any boss is not a good thing. Teamwork is what our Skins need and not several factions working against one another inside the organization.

Well, Zorn was a chance hire to begin with. He had no experience. I cant credit the turn around all to Lewis. After all, it was Zorns playbook, personell, and packages that Lewis is calling. I think Lewis just knew what to use, and when to use it.

IMO, Zorn had not learned the ins and outs of playcalling bcause he never was a play caller. I htink Zorn is a good coach in the making. He is far from perfect. But his leadership has been great, most locker rooms woud have turned on him. His work wih JC has made the kid look night and day different.

It is a combination of things that cause the failures of any team... but the one "constant" through all of this is Vinny Cerrato. Trading away draft picks at whoevers whim is just the tip of that iceberg...

Agreed, and I'm not denying the positives that Zorn has brought. I was simply saying Zorn is not the innocent victim as Jenkins is trying to portray. I wouldn't even be opposed if we kept Zorn. But I don't agree with absolving him of all blame, and the playcalling switch was the right call, and Zorn stuck by it too instead of resigning. It's just Jenkins doing her same old routine of absolving others just to further villify another.

Man, is there any way Zorn could swallow his pride and stay to coach the QB's if Gruden is hired? That would be phenomenal.

So he can do what? Continue the great offensive showing that he has already??? Where is all this sympathy for Zorn coming from? We find new and inventive ways to lose games weekly. Zorn gets stripped of the play calling duties and the offense gets better weekly. Nice guy. Terrible head coach.

Does anyone else kinda hope that Allen decides to keep Zorn as head coach and try to keep continuity with the front office/coaching staff while repairing the team from a talent and depth standpoint?

That would be fine with me...

Although Gruden is appealing also.

I'd much prefer keeping Zorn for one more year then Shanahaahanahanahan

....for some reason I cant' stop typing that name..

Agreed, and I'm not denying the positives that Zorn has brought. I was simply saying Zorn is not the innocent victim as Jenkins is trying to portray. I wouldn't even be opposed if we kept Zorn. But I don't agree with absolving him of all blame, and the playcalling switch was the right call, and Zorn stuck by it too instead of resigning. It's just Jenkins doing her same old routine of absolving others just to further villify another.

I gotcha. I agree too. I did not originally read the article with that context, but comparing it with past Jenkis vitriol, I can clearly see where you are coming from. Maybe Vinny had a roll in the hay with her and never called! :). That could explain the constant trashing...

Well, first off you have to know that Jenkins has always liked Zorn and her articles are biased that way. So, I'm not shocked that this column defends Zorn heavily.

But, it does point out a big reason why we see Vinny without a job. I think he's poisoned too many relationships within the team for him to stay around. And when Zorn can hold the team together with glue and duct tape, you have to ask what Vinny has done. I was thinking before that maybe his players developing and his decision to give Lewis a more active role would save his skin, but it is obvious that Snyder felt differently.

Some this morning were taking Vinny's lack of mention of Zorn as a confirmation that Zorn was out of here. I saw it the other way, that the lack of mention is because Vinny had decided that Zorn was out of here and that is probably part of the reason why Vinny was out of there. It makes me think that Zorn's chances of survival are greater now than they were before. Greater in that now he has a chance with not having a guy who felt like he got burned by Zorn as his boss.

Archived