Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USATODAY: House passes major Wall Street regulatory reform

alexey

Wow. That article contained a lot more information than I expected.

It was all really, really, broad. But then I likely wouldn't have understood anything else.

One thing did jump out at me:

On Wednesday, pro-business Democrats succeeded in making it harder for states to enforce their own consumer protection rules on national banks. Under a compromise struck with Democratic leaders and Treasury officials, states would not be able to pre-empt federal consumer laws if the state law "materially" interferes with the business of banks.

Frankly, I've got a real problem with this concept of industries bribing the Feds to pass legislation that makes them immune to state laws, whether it's banking laws, consumer protection, environmental law, or whatever. And it seems to be becoming more and more common.

That's all well and good but now it goes to the Senate where they will water it down with trinkets and ridiculous BS. Nothing will change, and if you believe it will, you're a fool. Sorry.

Yeah! Because nothing has ever changed! No federal law has ever changed a thing about anything!

Wow. That article contained a lot more information than I expected.

It was all really, really, broad. But then I likely wouldn't have understood anything else.

One thing did jump out at me:

Frankly, I've got a real problem with this concept of industries bribing the Feds to pass legislation that makes them immune to state laws, whether it's banking laws, consumer protection, environmental law, or whatever. And it seems to be becoming more and more common.

Do you have proof of bribery? Proof of motives?

Cause it sounds to me like you are just making **** up.

Do you have proof of bribery? Proof of motives?

Cause it sounds to me like you are just making **** up.

No. I'm certain that the federal government decided to write a piece of legislation whose purpose is to render an industry immune from state consumer protection laws completely on their own.

No. I'm certain that the federal government decided to write a piece of legislation whose purpose is to render an industry immune from state consumer protection laws completely on their own.

I don't think it renders them immune, just immune from state regulation that exceeds the federal regulation.

As I read it, it makes them subject to federal regulators in a way that they were not subject to before. The law specifically creates a federal consumer protection unit. Meanwhile, individual states may not impose different regulations on the same subject if they exceed the federal standards. That way the industry just has to answer to one set of standards, not 51 separate standards.

Federal preemption of state law is pretty common, and it is not always a bad thing.

Or.... Maybe it is best to handle the regulation of a national industry at a national level rather than with complex and possibly contradictory laws for each state.

Note that the states are not prohibited from their own regulation. they are prohibited from PRE-EMPTING FEDERAL LAW IF the state law interferes with banks.

states would not be able to pre-empt federal consumer laws if the state law "materially" interferes with the business of banks.

I'm all for regulating the industry. I just think we can do it without inventing a straw man and distracting ourselves from the real issues.

I don't think it renders them immune, just immune from state regulation that exceeds the federal regulation.

As I read it, it makes them subject to federal regulators in a way that they were not subject to before. The law specifically creates a federal consumer protection unit. Meanwhile, individual states may not impose different regulations on the same subject if they exceed the federal standards. That way the industry just has to answer to one set of standards, not 51 separate standards.

Please understand that I'm being humorous when I point out that "Oh, this law doesn't render the industry immune to state regulations. It only renders them immune to any state regulations which have any effect whatsoever." makes you sound like a nitpickey lawyer. :)

Federal preemption of state law is pretty common, and it is not always a bad thing.

Sorry. I fail to conceive of any legitimate reason why the feds should be making it illegal for a state to make something illegal within their own state.

(OK, if the state law violates the US Constitution, then I can see it.)

Please understand that I'm being humorous when I point out that "Oh, this law doesn't render the industry immune to state regulations. It only renders them immune to any state regulations which have any effect whatsoever." makes you sound like a nitpickey lawyer. :)

Sorry. I fail to conceive of any legitimate reason why the feds should be making it illegal for a state to make something illegal within their own state.

I'm only sounding nitpicky because you are misunderstanding me.

The Feds are taking over the regulation and imposing national standards on something that is essentially a national industry. It is reasonable to tell that industry: "You are going to have to answer to this federal agency and follow these uniform federal rules - in exchange, we will free you from following 50 different states' rules on the same subject."

This is not a new idea. Federal preemption applies in a lot of other areas already.

Remember, when something is regulated by the states, you get a "rush to the bottom" where the indistries seek out the states with the most favorable regulation. Like credit card companies do.

Or.... Maybe it is best to handle the regulation of a national industry at a national level rather than with complex and possibly contradictory laws for each state.

Note that the states are not prohibited from their own regulation. they are prohibited from PRE-EMPTING FEDERAL LAW IF the state law interferes with banks.

Note Predicto's post.

Their definition of "PRE-EMPTING FEDERAL LAW" (near as I can tell) is "passing any legislation that makes anything illegal that wasn't already illegal, or having any law on the books prior to the federal law which is in any way tougher than the federal law which came later".

Note Predicto's post.

Their definition of "PRE-EMPTING FEDERAL LAW" (near as I can tell) is "passing any legislation that makes anything illegal that wasn't already illegal, or having any law on the books prior to the federal law which is in any way tougher than the federal law which came later".

Yes. That is correct. Otherwise, the industry faces 51 different sets of regulators, rather than just one. These really are national industries.

"Sorry Wells Fargo, your billboard is perfectly valid under 49 state laws and federal regulators told you that it was just fine, but it does not satisfy the 13 point type that a single jury in Nachez, Mississippi thinks should have been used for the last sentence of the disclaimer. Pay up."

Remember, when something is regulated by the states, you get a "rush to the bottom" where the indistries seek out the states with the most favorable regulation. Like credit card companies do.

Only in some situations.

For example, I'll point out that right now, (as I understand it), mortgages in Florida are subject to Florida law. Regardless of where the bank chooses to locate their corporate headquarters.

(In fact, if this "rush to the bottom" applied to this industry right now, they wouldn't be paying the feds to exempt them from state regulations. They'd already be exempt.)

(No, I'll freely admit that I don't know why Florida would have the authority to regulate Florida mortgages, (and, to pick another example, Florida insurance), but not to regulate Florida credit cards. In fact, I wonder why that is, that they can regulate one but not the other.)

Yes. That is correct. Otherwise, the industry faces 51 different sets of regulators, rather than just one.

All of which they are complying with, right now.

Also pointing out that your argument would say that our nation should do away with all state laws, altogether. Since, after all, it's so much simpler for all citizens to only have to know one set of laws.

Or does this reasoning only apply to big businesses (who have power in Washington)?

Archived