Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King MMQB: More love for Orakpo

MattFancy

This just shows how good Orakpo has been for us. He's only one sack behind Chris Long who has played 16 more games than Orakpo. He is easily the best DE taken over the last 2 drafts. Here's to more success for Orakpo!!

In the past two NFL drafts, teams have used 20 picks in the first two rounds trying to find, at least in part, players to bring the heat on the quarterback. Early results -- which can be dangerous because of the adjustment from college to the pros -- say the crop has been an immense failure. Only one of the 21 defensive ends/outside linebackers picked is averaging more than half a sack per game. That's Brian Orakpo, the rookie outside linebacker for the Redskins, who has seven sacks in his first 11 games.

I remember seeing Orakpo at the Scouting Combine last February and thinking he had the body of a fifth-year NFL player. That's one reason Washington had Orakpo rated a top-10 player and chose him over a much-needed offensive tackle on draft day. "He's succeeded because of the two things NFL pass-rushers have to have -- speed and explosiveness,'' said Washington VP of football operations Vinny Cerrato. "There's not many in college. He came into the NFL understanding the speed of the game. At this level, a lot of time your success or failure as a rusher depends on whether the guy has a second move, and he does.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/06/mmqb/1.html#ixzz0Z12b5WMX

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

The 20 young draftees, and how they've fared in Sackville:

Player Team Games Sacks

Chris Long St. Louis28 8.0

Brian Orakpo Wash.12 7.0

Lawrence Jackson Sea. 28 6.0

Clay Matthews G.B. 11 5.0

Calais Campbell Ariz.28 5.0

Phillip Merling Miami 28 3.5

Derrick Harvey Jax 28 3.5

Quentin Groves Jax 28 2.5

Connor Barwin Houston 12 2.5

Larry English S.D. 12 2.0

Aaron Curry Seattle 12 2.0

Everette Brown Car. 11 1.5

Brian Cushing Houston 12 1.5

Clint Sintim NY Giants3 1.0

Robert Ayers Denver11 0.0

Tyson Jackson K.C.12 0.0

Aaron Maybin Buff.11 0.0

Keith Rivers Cin.16 0.0

Vernon Gholston Jets 25 0.0

Kentwan Balmer SF28 0.0

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/06/mmqb/1.html#ixzz0Z12QjxEz

He's been playing LB mostly, but I think he'll be increasing the role we'll see him rushing the QB...

I believe on the last drive of the 4th quarter, when the Saints tied it up, I saw Orakpo at DE the whole time. He needs to be there as much as possible. He got pressure on Brees a few times yesterday but just couldn't bring him down.

I don't know how anyone can be unhappy with the way he's played. As a rookie that plays out of position most of the time, he has played extremely well. Just look at the numbers of the other DE/LB taken over the last 2 years. Orakpo is 2nd in sacks and has played a full season less than Chris Long and Long even plays DE full time. Orakpo will be a stud for many years on this team.

Is there any question Albert Haynesworth is the best player on our team? The guy is a monster. Every replay they show, watch Haynesworth. You never see him getting one-on-one. And sometimes it's a triple team.

Orakpo is great and would be very solid without Haynesworth, but if we keep these guys together and add maybe one more great player (Suh from Nebraska would be RIDICULOUS), we'll have a line similar to the Giants three years ago when they demolished everybody.

I believe on the last drive of the 4th quarter, when the Saints tied it up, I saw Orakpo at DE the whole time. He needs to be there as much as possible. He got pressure on Brees a few times yesterday but just couldn't bring him down.

There were a couple times when he stunted to the inside and practically shoved the guard (or tackle that moved with him, depending on the play) into sacking his own quarterback. Unfortunately, we were playing Drew Brees, who isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to feeling pressure and getting rid of the ball. We do that against Eli, and Orakpo has another sack or two.

There were a couple times when he stunted to the inside and practically shoved the guard (or tackle that moved with him, depending on the play) into sacking his own quarterback. Unfortunately, we were playing Drew Brees, who isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to feeling pressure and getting rid of the ball. We do that against Eli, and Orakpo has another sack or two.

I noticed that too. He was literally pushing the tackle back into Brees. That's something I'd expect to see big Al do, but I didn't realize Orakpo had that kind of power.

Vinny Cerrato: "He's succeeded because of the two things NFL pass-rushers have to have -- speed and explosiveness. The only thing I could think to do to minimize those strengths was to play him out of position. Hey, don't pin his production on me. I'm doing all I can do ruin the franchise."

Archived