Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Akers an example of Redskins futility

ChicagoRedskinsFan

I really wish we would have drafted or traded for Janikowski. With our offense in as bad shape as it has been for the past 4-5 years he could have kept is in games by kicking 60 yarders.

Janikowski is a 78% kicker for his career and has had 5 bad seasons out of the 10 he's been in the league. He's 63/91 (69.2%) career from 40-49 and 22/45 (48.8%) from 50+. Not exactly Mr. reliable.

Was that the same season that the team brought back the 40-something Eddie Murray out of retirement for like, 2 games, or was that a different season?

2000 when Danny assembled the fantasy team, Conway got hurt in Game #2 we had Husted, Heppner (2 missed PAT's) Murray and finally Conway again. An Extra point was cover your eyes bad, forget about field goals. Jeff George's finest moment as a Redskin came in that season, and Murray missed a PAT.

2000 when Danny assembled the fantasy team, Conway got hurt in Game #2 we had Husted, Heppner (2 missed PAT's) Murray and finally Conway again. An Extra point was cover your eyes bad, forget about field goals. Jeff George's finest moment as a Redskin came in that season, and Murray missed a PAT.

Yeah, in '98 I was 13, and in '00 I was 15, so it's kinda hard to separate the seasons too much before '03. So I knew we went thru a lot of kickers at various times but I couldn't remember which carousel was which season.

Nobody would be expected to predict that Akers was NFL talent after his performance back then. Kickers are interesting .... most seem to take a few years and a few teams to find their own. Some seem to get better with age.

What do percentage do you think a kicker should kick ?? 80%, 85% ???

If you look at even the elite kickers in the league, their career stats are not as high as I would have thought. I guess percentage is important but also the timing of the miss is also relevant as well as the distance they are kicking from. For example, Carney had a great average for the Giants last year but half of his makes were from 20 - 29.

I think this is a good thread because it points out that our GM cannot recognize a future good kicker from a mediocre kicker. When I saw him kick that field goal all I could think about was- another ex-Redskin doing well on another team that should have been on our team. Mark Schlereth we let go way before his career was over and he did fine in Denver. There are a ton of ex-Redskins still employed in the NFL or who had good careers after they left our team.

Seriously, they're kickers. The best kicker in the history of the NFL was released by the team that drafted him:

Gary Anderson

He was the only one I looked up. Come on, they're kickers. NOBODY can really predict how well a kicker will do.

EDIT: Matt Stover was also released by the team that drafted him, the NY Giants.

Archived