Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Give props to Edwin Williams

genesys

Despite the loss to Dallas last Sunday ... The Skins may have found some decent talent to play Right Tackle (oops meant Right Guard).

There I said it. Yes! Folks, it was an undrafted University of Maryland O-lineman Edwin Williams that stepped in for injured Chad Rhinehart.

From what I can tell the guy filled in admirably while making his debut in less than ideal circumstances. Edwin held his own against a good Dallas pass rush.

Edwin also got kudos for his blocking from the pressbox/commentators Troy Aikman as well as Redskins coaches Jim Zorn and Joe Bugel.

Hope he gets an opportunity to continue to shine.

Best wishes Edwin

Williams may be a player at 6'3 and 315 that can help the Redskins down the road at center, his natural position.

Hopefully, the new HC and GM will be able to stock the roster with enough guards so that a center doesn't have to play out of position as Williams and Montgomery have had to do.

I had been hoping we wouldnt waste the year and not give EW a shot (see Rino last year). I thought he did well, like a defensemen in hockey you dont notice, he had a good game. I prefered to see him at center especially since i have been less than happy with Rabach's play. Not to mention vs Dallas, he struggles against nose tackles. Judging by how much Jason has been under attack this year, I even question CR's blocking calls at the line. Our blitz pickup has been horrible for years it seems. Those calls never get any scrutiny despite thousands of us rabid fans analyzing everything else. Oh well, it seems many think he is a given to be here next year :doh:

Yes this is becoming a hockey town.

This might be wishful thinking but I think playing Edwin and Stephon together might help. They played together at University of Maryland, and maybe able to establish some synergy that translates into strong proctection run and pass ...

Both are young, and if they pan out -- we paid dirt to get them.

He did well for his first action, but he's not even an adequate guard. Hopefully, he can turn into something as a center. I really don't see him sticking around in this league for long. It would be a great story if he could though.

Hmm... That's interesting. Despite not being a guard he played as one with minimal warmup or reps with first team offense.

Lets give the kid a chance. He did well againts the Cowboys, and their defense in top 10 with a good pass rush.

Lets see how he holds up against the Eagle. If he does... and, I am hoping he does ... it would be awesome.

Time for some bright spots to hit the Skins.

I kept telling you guys on this board that just as Baltimore went young and had some growing pains for a full season (they were bad) that we had to SEE what our young guys had. Could be that we get one starter from the Will Montgomery/Rinehart/Williams bunch but that's not so bad. I think the others are decent depth at least. Again, this idea about the offensive line relies on a notion that every good lineman steps in and is excellent off the bat. Not true.

In fact, the NYG line had some hiccups at first, as I recall.

Lines need to grow, unless you have 3/5 veterans or that one awesome Steve Hutch-type guy that steps in right away.

I kept telling you guys on this board that just as Baltimore went young and had some growing pains for a full season (they were bad) that we had to SEE what our young guys had. Could be that we get one starter from the Will Montgomery/Rinehart/Williams bunch but that's not so bad. I think the others are decent depth at least. Again, this idea about the offensive line relies on a notion that every good lineman steps in and is excellent off the bat. Not true.

In fact, the NYG line had some hiccups at first, as I recall.

Lines need to grow, unless you have 3/5 veterans or that one awesome Steve Hutch-type guy that steps in right away.

You make an excellent point. The O-Line as a whole -- LT, LG, C, RG, and RT ... all NEED to click as a well oiled cohesive unit.

Going young and with a number of changes the necessary chemistry will take longer to develop.

If memory serves me right despite being a 1st round top 3 pick Chris Samuel did not go to the pro bowl immediately. And, he too had his flaws. We also got luck in the 2nd round with the Michigan RT Jon Jansen ... now with Detroit who came in and plugged into the starting role.

A lot of it had to do with the coaching as well.

I like the guy don't know if he could ever be a stater in this league though

There is only ONE way to find out if Edwin cuts it in the NFL is to be give him a fair shot.

And, the same goes for Kevin Barnes. Why not play him? We need to see/evaluate what skills he brings to the table.

This B/S about not playing rookies and playing players in new position is ridiculous.:mad:

Hmm... That's interesting. Despite not being a guard he played as one with minimal warmup or reps with first team offense.

Lets give the kid a chance. He did well againts the Cowboys, and their defense in top 10 with a good pass rush.

Lets see how he holds up against the Eagle. If he does... and, I am hoping he does ... it would be awesome.

Time for some bright spots to hit the Skins.

My point is not that he didn't play alright.

The thing is we (Redskins fans, myself included) have severely overrated our players recently and we can't keep trotting out undrafted rookies (especially those playing out of position).

It's ridiculous how low our standards have fallen with vinny running the show. The talent we have at o-line is embarrasing.

Let's just see what he can do. Because he went to the University of Maryland doesn't mean he's the answer, but just because he was undrafted doesn't mean that he isn't the answer. I think a lot of people on this board have the misconception that if you spend high picks on OL that it automatically makes your line better. The Steelers spent a crapload of 1st and 2nd round picks on OL and they stunk. It was the guys like undrafted free agent and Defensive MVP James Harrison that make them great.

I saw Edwin handling Jay Ratliff (7th rounder) one on one on a few plays. He was the 5th rated center in last year's draft behind AQ Shipley who is on a practice squad. Give the guy a chance. If he can play well at guard for the next 6 games, he gives us the flexibility to let Rabach walk and we can bump him down to center.

Keep up the good work Edwin!

Why don't you give me prop's!?! I'm the one that sits through the sucky games on Sunday. :tantrum:

Why don't you start a thread about me... "Major Props to Polywog999 for not being A Completely Incompetent Screwball..." or...

"Thanks Poly...

FOR DOING WHAT THE HELL WE PAY YOU FOR!!!":chair:

The :censored: with Edwin Williams...

he INVENTED suck!!! :evil:

Archived