Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins released Big Daddy

Uptown Skins

Well, this is pretty surprising. Isn't Haley a favorite of our new D-Line coach? Also, I'm curious to know what BDW's guaranteed dollars ended up being.

Last year Jackson rushed from the tackle spot pretty often, as well as Powell. I suspect we'll improvise on passing downs again this year.

Having BDW around was somehow comforting and I would rather have him than not on a football level, but his departure isn't sinking this ship.

Originally posted by rdogblue

Watch R.Wynn be moved to DT if they don't think they can get a starting/solid DT in free agency.

I was thinking the same thing. Look guys lets not go overboard with BDW being cut. Im confident in Wynn playing DT if we dont sign a FA. I believe he's a better DT than DE IMO. Hes to slow to rush the passer but is strong enough to hold the POA(Point of attack).

I don't think he was going to play much anyway. That's why the FO was going to give him an incentive laden contract. They knew he wasn't going to reach the incentives.

They were probably impressed with what they saw from Haley and Noble in minicamps, figured they would try to get BDW to agree to a reduced salary, and if he didn't they would let him go.

Now we got Haley, Noble, Wynn and Cowsette that can play tackle, let alone Holsey. All they have to do is stop the run and hold up blockers for our Linebackers, and from what I hear, that is Noble and Haley's specialty.

Remember, this defensive philosophy (Marvin Lewis strategy) is built for a team like the Ravens in 2000. You didn't see Sam Adams or Siragusa making many plays that year. It was all Linebackers and Ends.

And actually Wynn and Haley could make for a decent DT rotation....with possably Upshaw moving to the other DE position. As sudden as this seems, I would think the skins probably had numerous contingency plans if they did release BDW........I dont for a second think they just cut him without having some idea of what they are going to do without him

WOW!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!! SHOCKING!!!!! DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!!!! DOOMED!!!!! SCREW OUR FRONT OFFICE!!!!!! HOW COULD WE HAVE LET THIS HAPPEN????!!!!!

lol

Thanks for the laugh guys...

BTW, I'm 100% sure that whoever replaces him, will match or surpass his amazing record breaking 17 tackles :)

ESPN Article up now: http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1586941.html

Three-year veteran tackle Jermaine Haley, acquired by Washington as a restricted free agent this spring, will now be elevated to the starting lineup. He will line up next to Brandon Noble, signed as an unrestricted free agent. The Redskins' other starting tackle from 2002, Daryl Gardener, departed to Denver in free agency.

For weeks, with the Wilkinson contract situation simmering, the Redskins have been scouring the league for another tackle. They will keep a close eye on any veteran tackles released during training camp and will try, during the preseason, to bolster the position.

the skins for sure now have the worst DL in the division by far.

I am surprised to see them let go of a guy who played at the highest level for 10 or 11 games in 2001 and could have had a similar season given it was a contract year for him. :)

Originally posted by shawn

I am surprised to see them let go of a guy who played at the highest level for 10 or 11 games in 2001 and could have had a similar season given it was a contract year for him. :)

Shawn,

BDW was signed through 2006. Since its 2003...it was hardly a contract year for him.

That I agree with Shawn...he wasn't untochable.

It stinks that the NFL is a business where the employees can be terminated without cause...and can't terminate their services and seek the same type of employment elsewhere immediately.

BUT...when you make the $'s they make...its hard to feel sorry for them.

I think the Skins did what the other 31 teams in the league do - they single out players whose contracts are for more than what they provide. They tried to renogotiate...and even said they will keep the offer on the table.

Its in BDW's hands now.

Originally posted by shawn

I don't really see the Cowboys line as that much better.

The Cowboys line isn't better, but they do have one top quality player still in Glover and it's a very close conversation now. Our advantage at the other tackle is decreased which evens things up. Ekuban and Ellis are not better than Upshaw and Wynn, though Ellis thinks he should be paid that way. And with Smith and Zellner and even Holsey in reserve we have more experience behind our starters STILL than Dallas does.

If Dallas adds a player of note they are clearly ahead of us. If not, it's still mildly to our advantage.

Originally posted by Art

The Cowboys line isn't better, but they do have one top quality player still in Glover and it's a very close conversation now. Our advantage at the other tackle is decreased which evens things up. Ekuban and Ellis are not better than Upshaw and Wynn, though Ellis thinks he should be paid that way. And with Smith and Zellner and even Holsey in reserve we have more experience behind our starters STILL than Dallas does.

If Dallas adds a player of note they are clearly ahead of us. If not, it's still mildly to our advantage.

This is hilarious!

Originally posted by Art

Hmmm...lemme see.

Noble...Zellner...

Bernard Holsey?

If any of these guys were so good, why were they available?

Boozer,

I thought we'd already established that the "If any of these guys were so good, why were they available?" argument to be meaningless and based without any thought to the history of the league and all the successful free agents and trades there have been.

But, in the simplest terms, they were available because their contracts ran out and they signed somewhere else. In the case of Noble, your starter over Myers and Nix, he was wanted back and offers were made. In the case of Zellner and Holsey, they were viewed as less wanted by their teams, obviously, and have entered journeyman status at this point.

Simply being available isn't a sign that you aren't any good. It can be for certain or you can be good, be available, and not be good anymore once you move teams. But, as a generic position you've now taken on more than one occasion, it lacks the depth required to be persuasive on this board. Probably works on a Cowboy board though where cliche and grunts are more on the level of the listener? :)

Originally posted by Art

Boozer,

I thought we'd already established that the "If any of these guys were so good, why were they available?" argument to be meaningless and based without any thought to the history of the league and all the successful free agents and trades there have been.

But, in the simplest terms, they were available because their contracts ran out and they signed somewhere else. In the case of Noble, your starter over Myers and Nix, he was wanted back and offers were made. In the case of Zellner and Holsey, they were viewed as less wanted by their teams, obviously, and have entered journeyman status at this point.

Simply being available isn't a sign that you aren't any good. It can be for certain or you can be good, be available, and not be good anymore once you move teams. But, as a generic position you've now taken on more than one occasion, it lacks the depth required to be persuasive on this board. Probably works on a Cowboy board though where cliche and grunts are more on the level of the listener? :)

I am glad that you see it this way.

I have always respected your acumen, Art. But if you are going to sit here and tell me that your line that consists of (right now):

Renaldo Wynn, backed up by Peppi, Greg Scott, Mike Cecere

Jermaine Haley, backed up by the "Natural" Bernard Holsey

Brandon Noble, backed up by Delbert Cowsette and Bernard Jackson

Regan Upshaw, backed up by Bruce Smith, LaDairis Jackson, Jonathan Brown and Andre Arnold....

...is somehow better than a line that consists of a Pro Bowler (Glover) and solid player (Ellis) and a guy that poops his pants (Willie Blade), then you have another thing coming. I honestly do not see, from a talent perspective, that your line is any less mediocre than ours. Bruce Smith cannot beat any quality OT anymore. I rate Wynn at his very best at a par with Ellis...all he does is hold the line...he is not an impact player. Upshaw has been a perennial tease since he came into the league. We at least have Glover, which swings to pendulum to our advantage. But not by alot.

Honestly, unless you all can get a quality DT, then releasing Wilkinson was a bad move. You have no one else. Haley is a shot in the dark. Anyone can look good in a rotational system that he was in at Miami. Noble is a fine pickup, but if you all are counting on him being a dominant force with no quality alongside him, then I guess the rose-colored glasses fit just fine for you.

And BTW, we grunt better. That is a natural association between Rednecks and beer. As for cliche...I see that my attempt at humor was wasted on a prig like you.

:rolleyes:

Archived