Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Rogers says he doesn't expect to be on bench

HapHaszard

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/rogers-says-he-doesnt-expect-t.html#more

Benched after giving up a long touchdown pass early in the Redskins' game against Denver, cornerback Carlos Rogers hopes to play Sunday in Cowboys Stadium, Rogers said before practice today at Redskins Park.

"I don't think I'll just be strictly benched," he said. "May come off the bench. Not saying that's what the case is; I don't know. I don't expect to be on the bench."

In the first quarter of Washington's 27-17 victory over the Broncos at FedEx Field, Denver quarterback Kyle Orton and wide receiver Brandon Marshall combined on 40- and 75-yard touchdown passes. Marshall, who was wide open by several yards on both scoring plays, beat Rogers on a double-move for the first touchdown.

Wideout DeSean Jackson beat Rogers on a double-move for a 57-yard touchdown in Washington's Week 7 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. After Marshall burned Rogers, the coaching staff benched him for the remainder of the game in favor or Fred Smoot.

"I don't expect to be on the bench" this week, Rogers reiterated. "But like I said, I made a mistake. It happened. Whatever the consequences, I got to deal with it and I got to live with it. If that's not playing, I'm here to support the team."

The team's first first-round draft pick in the 2005 draft (Washington also selected Campbell in the first round that year) has felt slighted throughout his career with the Redskins, which could end soon. Rogers is a restricted free agent after the season, and he might benefit from a change in scenery.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

um scheme has little to do with whether a CB bites on a double move.

while this is not always the case - some schemes involve a CB gambling on short routes - Carlos got beat like the neighbor's dog on that touchdown.

oh, and you happen to live next to Michael Vick.

"But like I said, I made a mistake. It happened. Whatever the consequences, I got to deal with it and I got to live with it. If that's not playing, I'm here to support the team."

Shows a much improved attitude from this past Sunday. Hopefully it will carry over.

miles austin is the only guy on that team that scares me right now. their running game is just out of sorts.

i wont lie - felix jones is a guy who i will not enjoy playing twice a year. but he is a little banged up it seems.

The way we've been defending the run here lately, we might make Dallas' rushing attack look like a well oiled machine. :doh:

i feel bad a little bad for our corners. the scheme makes them very susceptible to double-moves.... and it's not like they have legit help at FS right now.

bull****. Though I don't know why he literally had no help against an elite, or at least near elite receiver.

Rogers will make his way back into the starting roster and play well again. People calling him a bust don't know what they're talking about.

An interesting quote to come out regarding the cushion he gives.

"I'm kind of a guy like, I want to be on my receiver. I want to be tight and tough. Probably need to stay more depth, stay more over the top and just keep my eyes on the receiver."

"That's the only thing I can do. That's the only thing Jerry told me to do. Don't stop my aggression. Don't stop being a physical corner. Just keep your eyes on the receiver and loosen up your cushion."

I think he may be forced to give a big cushion because of how aggressive he is. It's possible the coaches benched him because they knew this was coming and they keep the cushion to try and neutralize it a bit. :2cents:

I think he may be forced to give a big cushion because of how aggressive he is. It's possible the coaches benched him because they knew this was coming and they keep the cushion to try and neutralize it a bit. :2cents:

That's a very good point. Could be the contract year coupled with dhall's interceptions making him more agressive in jumping routes. Worth watching more closely.

That's a very good point. Could be the contract year coupled with dhall's interceptions making him more agressive in jumping routes. Worth watching more closely.

Does it matter whether he is trying to get more interceptions, it is not like he is going to catch the ball anyway?

Archived