Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My personal game of GM

Annonymous Source

I am sure that everybody on this board feels the same way that I do about the personell decisions of Danny Cerrato...I mean Vinny Snyder...whatever.

It is time that I put my money where my mouth is.

If you do not want to read the postings of somebody that thinks they know how to rebuild the skins, STOP NOW.

1) The first major priority of a GM is to assess the level of talent or potential in the organization. In my opinion the level of talent is there for consistent 8-8 play. That is what we have seen in the past and that is what we will see again this year (going on record now). 8-8 may be acceptable to some, but for my beloved redskins there is nothing to do but go for the playoffs every year. This means that there will have to be a roster overhaul.

2) After Identifying that changes have to be made the next step is to identify how significant those changes would have to be. This is the tough step because while the level of talent upgrade between 8-8 and 10-6 is not huge, the Redskins are topheavy with Overpriced veterans. This means that there will not be very many significant upgrades available currently in terms of "Proven Players"

This means that there will have to be a significant rebuilding phase.

3) Now for the most important step, identifying the specific positions and players that need to be looked at if there is to be a "rebuilding".

I started with a few simple rules

1) If they are 31 or older then their playing career would be over by the time that the team would be ready to contend for any significant results in the future. All these players would have to be dealt or cut.

2) The monetary entitlement system has to go. Anybody making over 6 mil a year either has to go or take a pay cut.

3) Anybody that has developed an injury history has to go. There is no point in trying to rebuild around players that are always hurt.

4) Players that are either underperforming or have had significant drops in their level of play would have to go.

(I may have a couple of players that violate one of these rules but they are currently too valuable to the team or there is some other reason not to release them)

By following these rules the cuts would be as follows by position.

Safety: (NA)- This is the one position on the team where we have legitimate youth and depth at the same time, and therefore wouldnt need to be addressed for some time.

CB:

(Fred Smoot)(rule 4)- He is being payed starting corner money but is #4 on the depth chart. He is also entering the downside of his career, but that is not the essential factor. (Cut)

(Deangelo Hall)(rule 2) - He is a talented corner that has never quite learned how to be a #1 corner. But if he were willing to take a paycut he would be well worth keeping around. (Possible Trade)

LB:

This is the second thinnest position on the team. There is no reason to make cuts until there are legitimate sucessors to current players on the roster.

I know that Fletcher violates two of my rules, but he is still performing at a high enough level that I cannot advocating letting him go yet.

DE:

(Renaldo Wynn)(Rules 1,2, and 4) He is old, he is a backup, and he is making very solid money. On the deepest position on the team there is no reason for him to be around. (cut)

(Phillip Daniels)(Rules 1,2 and 3) He is still his reliable workhorse self, but he is making tons of money and is absolutely on the downside of his career. He needs to move over and allow room for some of the younger DE's. (trade if possible, if not cut)

(Andre Carter)(rule 2) I would be happy for him to stay with the team, but the amount of money he makes is far out of proportion with his level of production. (Trade for value)

DT:

(Albert Haynesworth)(rules 2 and 3) He is being overpayed for any player at any defensive position. He also has a history of injury which is resurfacing right now. Still young and a massive upside when healthy though. (Paycut or trade, but definitly worth bending rule 2 to keep)

(Cornelius Griffin)(Rules 1 and 2)- He is on the downside of his career, and he is making big money in front of Gholston and Montgomery. Simple fact is that it isnt worth having extra veteran D-linemen around right now. (trade for value)

(Lorenzo Alexander wont make this list because his motor is always running, and he can play offense, defense, and teams.)

RB

(Clinton Portis)(Rules 2 and 3) He makes a ton of money, points fingers at others, and wears down at the end of seasons. He is still a top 10 back, but he deserves a team with a real Offensive line to ease his workload. (Trade for Value)

(Ladell Betts)(Rule 4) He had 5 great games for the skins a few years ago, and since then all he has done is take up a roster spot (cut)

(Rock Cartwright will not make this list because he is a valuable teamer for now)

QB

(Keep JC during rebuilding process until we have developed a O-Line that can protect our QB of the future)

(I havent seen enough of Todd Collins to know weither he still can perform at an NFL level, but I am assuming he has a couple years of backup capability left)

WR

Santana Moss(rules 2 and 4) He doesnt really underperform, he is just so erratic with his performances. 200 yard game here, 0 catch game there. Definitly worth keeping around as a Slot reciever, in which case ARE gets the AX instead. (trade for value)

TE

Todd Yoder(rule 1) he is worth keeping on the roster until we ever find someone better at blocking. Probably will never happen.

OLINE

Chris Samuels(Rules 1,2,3,and 4) The best Redskin lineman of my generation. He makes too much money, has too little left, and is getting hurt too often to make him worth much long term. Trade him now and get something back. (trade for value)

Derrick Dockery(Rule 2) Only would have to take a minor paycut, and except for the whole false starting thing is well worth keeping.

Casey Rabach(Rules 1 and 2) We payed him like a pro-bowler and we got an average NFL center instead. Now he is in the downside of his career and, while still barely functional, would need to be replaced before any title run in 3-4 years time. (trade)

Randy Thomas(Rule 3) He has been hurt so much the past year that he is probably contemplating retirement anyway. At this point he certainly isnt a starting NFL lineman.

Well, that would be my first steps for how to rebuild the team. For those of you that need the cliffnote versions I would Cut or trade 15 players currently on this team before the draft next year.

By Name (no particular order)

Randy Thomas

Casey Rabach

Chris Samuels

Todd Yoder

Santana Moss (or ARE)

Clinton Portis

Ladell Betts

Cornelius Griffin

Deangelo Hall

Fred Smoot

Albert Haynesworth

Phillip Daniels

Andre Carter Renaldo Wynn

Any Thoughts?

Most teams that clean house like this try to leave atleast one well respected veteran in each unit to help mentor the younger talent. For example, you want to keep Samuels so he could set a bar for the the offensive lines performance.

I agree with your point to an extent (why I advocate keeping Fletcher).

At a certain point tho we have to say they can no longer perform consistently enough to warrant that size paycheck.

I also didnt even get into my coach hiring philosophy in this post because I ran out of space.

You can't just get guys to take pay cuts, especially when the contract they signed was so recent. I can't even get past that to consider anything else.

Agreed.

This ain't Madden. You can't just trade someone because you want to. I doubt if anyone on the list could be traded for cap reasons alone. Ours, or the mythical, other team's. Not to mention the whole, "trade for value" fantasy.

The frustration of our current woes certainly cause the creation of many a fix-it thread. Most of which are either completely unrealistic, or a mirror image of the hap hazard approach the current management group is accused of, and so roundly criticized for.

Well, that would be my first steps for how to rebuild the team. For those of you that need the cliffnote versions I would Cut or trade 15 players currently on this team before the draft next year.

By Name (no particular order)

Randy Thomas

Casey Rabach

Chris Samuels

Todd Yoder

Santana Moss (or ARE)

Clinton Portis

Ladell Betts

Cornelius Griffin

Deangelo Hall

Fred Smoot

Albert Haynesworth

Phillip Daniels

Andre Carter Renaldo Wynn

Any Thoughts?

A lot of these guys need to go. Haynesworth? Makes the DL better. And he can't do it by himself. The man gets double teamed constantly. Plus, how many goal line stands have the Skins had so far? Big Al is doing his job. I think the team needs to build around him. Suh from Nebraska?

Hall? Everybody seems to be on him. The fact is, since he has been with the Skins, he leads the team in interceptions. Not the best tackler. But he is also young. Is it Hall or the scheme?

Next year if it's uncapped then this would work. Still I think they should keep Samuels because if the team is starting over the right way they will have the cap room to keep a few guys for a year or two who will bring up the new guys so that they can bring up the guys that come later.

Samuels, Collins, Cartright, Randel El, Cooley, Fletcher, Daniels (maybe, he's old and injury prone), and Doughty should stay.

JC is a lame duck who brings everyone around him down, cut. Bring in a guy who will make something happen, like Garcia but he's too old, thats why I like Phillip Rivers so much. Too bad Norv is wasting him away in SD. He's the most accurate mid-deep passer in the league and it isn't even close.

None of this even matters if Snyder is running the team on his own through Cerrato though. There needs to be a GM with full control again, control of everything including Free Agency and contracts. Snyder should watch the games like we do and he'd make a lot more money that way as well. Too bad he's that much of an idiot.

I'm in favor of blowing up the team, but here is where you go wrong(as Ghost stated). 1st, you can't have people taking paycuts, and the way the salary cap works in the NFL, you'll just be delaying the obvious, when you cut them, and you have to eat that money up in the long run, which could be a lot. 2nd, you just can't have a team that doesn't have really any veteran leadership. Some players perform better when they are over 31. There are some players who can release and replace on your list, but not all of them.

Agreed.

This ain't Madden. You can't just trade someone because you want to. I doubt if anyone on the list could be traded for cap reasons alone. Ours, or the mythical, other team's. Not to mention the whole, "trade for value" fantasy.

The frustration of our current woes certainly cause the creation of many a fix-it thread. Most of which are either completely unrealistic, or a mirror image of the hap hazard approach the current management group is accused of, and so roundly criticized for.

If you cannot trade them for value (by which I mean any first day draft pick or a younger player) then u trade them for what you can get or cut them. I am not trying to be unrealistic, but I find it difficult to beleve that we wouldnt be able to trade CP, Santana Moss, or even Chris Samuels to other teams for future draft picks.

All that the "trade for value" idea was stating was that we should be able to get something of value instead of just a 6th or 7th rounder.

I can see you have spent alot of time looking at this but I disagree with some of what you have.

1. You seletced to keep Moss over ARE. Moss is payed to much and as you said very erratic. ARE plays the slot very well. Also with ARE you have a cheaper contract with more upside. He can do so many other things like throw if we need a trick play or in an emergency he can return punts. ARE> Moss

2.You are saying to keep Rock Cartwright. To be honest he was done years ago. He has no explosivness and can't break the big one. I can find 10 other players that can make tackles and contribute more then jsut on special teams. This should be Rocks last year.

3. You have the DT position all wrong. Haynesworth is doing exactly what he was paid to do. The problem is he does not have anybody to play next to him. Golston and Monty should be gone. And Griffen just isn't the player he used to be. Pretty much fat albert is doing all the push up the middle himself.

I'm in favor of blowing up the team, but here is where you go wrong(as Ghost stated). 1st, you can't have people taking paycuts, and the way the salary cap works in the NFL, you'll just be delaying the obvious, when you cut them, and you have to eat that money up in the long run, which could be a lot. 2nd, you just can't have a team that doesn't have really any veteran leadership. Some players perform better when they are over 31. There are some players who can release and replace on your list, but not all of them.

To your first point, 2010 projects to be an uncapped year. Swallow as much cap hit then as possible. Re-negotiate contracts to be front loaded or even pay. This would incintivise veterans to stay on the team in favor of other places and still take a "pay cut" Of course this is entirely dependent on 2010 being an uncapped year. If that doesnt happen then the time it would take to get out from the bad contracts would take significantly longer, but could still be done over the course of 3 years.

To your second point, Leadership is one quality in the NFL that I feel is entirely overrated. I do understand the stabilizing affects of a veteran presence, but it should not be at the expense of actual talent level. The beauty of my approach is that in 3-4 years the people that want to be leaders will have become "veteran leaders" and they will not have those massive contracts that hurt the club.

I actually pointed out several "veteran leaders" that there is no way I would release. London Fletcher and Rock Cartwright being on the list.

A lot of these guys need to go. Haynesworth? Makes the DL better. And he can't do it by himself. The man gets double teamed constantly. Plus, how many goal line stands have the Skins had so far? Big Al is doing his job. I think the team needs to build around him. Suh from Nebraska?

Hall? Everybody seems to be on him. The fact is, since he has been with the Skins, he leads the team in interceptions. Not the best tackler. But he is also young. Is it Hall or the scheme?

I agree that they are good players, go up to the main text and read what I have to say. The important thing is that the ridiculous pay scale breeds entitlement on this team, if they would be willing to take minor pay cuts then I would definitly keep them.

I also say that Haynesworth is a fixture of the team and I would make him an exception to the 6$ million rule, but he would still have to take a cut so that he could show leadership and solidarity.

Most of your ideas are good, but as other have mentioned, are predicated on having an uncapped 2010 otherwise it would be impossible.

Another problem is Dan Snyder and the "we are just one player away from a Super Bowl" mentality. That needs to go, if an uncapped year happens as it is our only chance for that to occur.

A Question: What makes anybody think a "real" GM would take a job, where the owner fired his FRIEND, before even letting him finish his second season in charge, much less a third? Which, most say a "real" GM would require to prove his worth. And no, you can't write a iron clad, no-fire contract.

Unless we finish with the #1 pick in the draft, and are 32nd in both offense and defense, then we MUST ride the Vinny train until the end of NEXT season. If only to ease the mind of the future "real" GM, that he'll be given the three years he needs to try and right the ship.

If everybody is truly concerned with "long term" success, then it starts now, with giving Vinny his 3rd year.

I'm in favor of blowing up the team. You have to be willing to suffer through a 2-14 2010 if you do it though. In the abstract, I say let it happen. Next year I sure would be miserable though.

I would be thrilled with one or even two 2-14 seasons if I felt like the team had a realistic gameplan and was headed in the right direction.

Archived