Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US electronic retail stores, help please

artmonkforHOF

I am in the market to buy a new plasma TV, and in my research I stumbled upon bestbuy's US website and noticed that the TV's I am looking at are far cheaper in the US than in Canada.

With our dollar being almost at par wit the US, I think I will be making a trip south across the border to buy my TV. I will need to buy from some sort of retailer, like best buy, but was wondering what are some of the names of other electronic chain's in the US. Is Circuit City still around?

I am looking at the higher end plasma units from Panasonic, the G10/G15 Viera ones, either 42" or 46". (TC-P42G10 or TC-P46G10 or G15).

I want to buy this in a store as oppose to shipping it here, so as not to have to pay somebody a brokerage charge and the nasty shipping charges (charges go up when transferring from a US carrier to a Canadian one) from the US to Canada.

So if you know of any stores that have good prices on Panasonic Plasma TV's, please help me out by posting below. thanks in advance.

Circuit City only exists as an online entity now (but Best Buy is very price competitive).

true. and its not even CC online anymore. if you get tigerdirect.com emails the emails are a day apart and exactly the same in formatting between the two. plus both have a miami mailing address.

so im 99% sure that tigerdirect just bought the CC name or something and changed the banner on their TD mailings to add CC to capitalize on the recognition.

in any case, id still not by from CC online.

Dude.....sounds like a plan but keep in mind that with the exchange rate your 46" tv is only going to be 36" ;)

The exchange is the main reason I am thinking about it. Just a few weeks ago, the Canadian Dollar was at around 85 cents US, and today it is at 97 cents.

So if I wait until Black Monday, and using your "logic", that 46" TV might turn out to be a 50" unit by the time I bring it across the boarder;)

Warranty is not an issue with me as I do not think it will be honored once I bring it in to Canada, unless I want to pack the TV back into my car and bring it across the boarder to get it fixed.

We have Costco here in Canada, but their TV selection is pretty slim, unless you really want a Vizio (which I dont, nothing wrong with them, I just want a panasonic).

But even Target sells Plasma's? sweet, then I might only have to drive about 4 minutes over the boarder, where I know there is one major intersection that has Target, Costco & Walmart all a stones throw away from each other.

Costco has the best warranty anywhere. You can return it full refund for 90 days and they include a 3 year warranty.

It's a 2 year warranty, and all it is is an extension of the Manufacturers Warranty. Meaning that wear and tear are not covered, only manufacturer defects.

As far as retailers go, Best Buy is the only one that will carry the G10 in a 42" or 46". I can guarantee that Costco, Target, Walmart and Sears don't. Which pretty much leaves Best Buy and high end electronics stores.

Warranty is not an issue with me as I do not think it will be honored once I bring it in to Canada, unless I want to pack the TV back into my car and bring it across the boarder to get it fixed.

We have Costco here in Canada, but their TV selection is pretty slim, unless you really want a Vizio (which I dont, nothing wrong with them, I just want a panasonic).

But even Target sells Plasma's? sweet, then I might only have to drive about 4 minutes over the boarder, where I know there is one major intersection that has Target, Costco & Walmart all a stones throw away from each other.

The G series is Panasonics high end Plasma's. There is NO chance that any of those 3 will carry it.

If there are Best Buy's in Canada, you can take it to them to get serviced if you have their warranty. Best Buy warranties are international...if there is a Best Buy near you and you have a warranty, they will fix it.

Why not have it shipped to someone in Buffalo or something and go pick it up? That is if it's cheaper online.

1) don't know anyone in Buffalo I would trust to ship it to.

2) after checking prices online, it is cheaper to buy at a store than buy online and pay for shipping.

There is also the issue of the address of the purchaser and the shipping address not matching which has lead to some problems for me in the past.

I am also hoping to see if prices will drop $100 or so for Black Monday.

1) don't know anyone in Buffalo I would trust to ship it to.

2) after checking prices online, it is cheaper to buy at a store than buy online and pay for shipping.

There is also the issue of the address of the purchaser and the shipping address not matching which has lead to some problems for me in the past.

I am also hoping to see if prices will drop $100 or so for Black Monday.

What the hell is Black Monday? We have Black Friday here, but that's not until the last friday in November. Never heard of a Black Monday sale.

What the hell is Black Monday? We have Black Friday here, but that's not until the last friday in November. Never heard of a Black Monday sale.

my mistake, I was referring to that one day a year where some poor Walmart employee gets crushed to death at 3:30am by a stampede of people trying to save $4 on that new transformer toy for their kid.

Archived