Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: For Redskins, It's the Same Old Story

#98QBKiller

This man speaks the truth.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/For_Redskins__It_s_the_Same_Old_Story_68713.jsp

For Redskins, It's the Same Old Story

By Larry Weisman

Redskins.com

Posted: October 11, 2009

CHARLOTTE – Maybe this is who they are and what they do.

Five games are gone, 11 remain, and those who expect the Redskins offense to explode like Class B fireworks should understand they are looking at a dud.

The 20-17 defeat at the hands of the Carolina Panthers marks the third of a type for the Redskins. The defense might have been able to win it for them if the offense and special teams didn’t submarine them.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for a blowout. Or crossing that magical threshold of 30 points. The Redskins look and feel like a team that will always be in close games and with any luck they will win some of them, unless it finds a way to lose them. Place your bets.

“I don’t think we’re jinxed,” coach Jim Zorn said. “You play the game the way it falls.”

Look out below.

Not a single opponent of the Redskins has come up against them with a victory in its pocket. The Panthers even lost all of their preseason games. The early part of the Washington schedule looked like a picnic but this team insists on bringing ants and rain to its party.

The Redskins blew a 17-2 essentially forged by their defense and it was their offense and special teams that sabotaged the effort.

The defense set up both touchdowns and they were short-range affairs. Three sacks, two takeaways. Did the defense fail down the stretch? It did. The Panthers got the ball back with 5:16 on the clock and the Redskins could not force a punt.

They had no times-out left, got the Panthers into a third-and-8 at their own 25 and then fell for Jake Delhomme’s naked bootleg of nine yards around the right side.

End of story.

The same old story.

Forget about the hiring of offensive consultant Sherm Lewis for a “fresh set of eyes.” Get ready for a fresh set of excuses.

The defense, in that first half, produced a turnover on the first play, with Albert Haynesworth crashing into the backfield to disrupt activities and Kedric Golston knocking the ball loose. Haynesworth recovered at the Carolina 13-yard line. Jason Campbell flipped a 10-yard scoring pass to Portis.

Left tackle Chris Samuels suffered a neck stinger away from the action on that touchdown and never returned. Neither did the offense. With D’Anthony Batiste replacing Samuels and Mike Williams making his first start at right guard, the Redskins could not keep the Panthers off Campbell. Nor could Campbell rouse himself enough to throw passes away. He was sacked three times in the first half.

The line, no strong point to this date, weakened and crumpled. Right tackle Stephon Heyer got knocked on his heels by Julius Peppers, allowing linebacker Thomas Davis to drop Portis in the end zone for a safety.

“Stephon got pushed back a little bit. Clinton had no chance,” Zorn said.

A little bit? Peppers bounced him backwards far enough that a play beginning at the 3-yard line died in the end zone. Any further and he’d have needed a visa.

Batiste incurred a holding penalty that was declined just before Shaun Suisham’s 38-yard field goal and committed another crucial mistake later, lining up improperly and drawing a flag that nullified a 12-yard gain on a third-and-11. Ultimately the Redskins failed on a fourth-down try.

The defense tried to do its part. DeAngelo Hall intercepted a tipped pass and ran it back to the 1-yard line, his vain stretch for the end zone almost resulting in a fumble on Carolina’s first possession of the third quarter.

The 1-yard line hasn’t exactly been a safe harbor for the Redskins so the klutzy Panthers – and boy, reasons abound that these cats are 1-3 and should be 0-4 – committed a neutral zone infraction that moved the ball half a yard closer. From there, Portis leaped into the end zone like a salmon heading upstream and the Redskins led 17-2.

The defense surrendered a touchdown on the ensuing possession but place some of the blame on the special teams, which allowed Kenneth Moore to haul the kickoff back to the Redskins 40. Then the Panthers got tight end Jeff King matched up on rookie outside linebacker Brian Orakpo and the lead shrank to 17-9.

Would the Redskins respond? More to the point, or lack of points, could they? They did … sort of. Batiste undid them by lining up wrong. The Redskins wound up going for it on fourth down and being stopped when Davis batted away Campbell’s pass.

No punt? Could Glenn Pakulak, the new guy filling in for Hunter Smith not drop one inside the 10? Even a blast into the end zone would have been OK. It would have put the Panthers at the 20 instead of the 37 and not added to their momentum.

Instead, the Panthers defense strolled off with a stop to its credit and Delhomme pushed his resilient, if relatively inept, band down the field. John Kasay kicked a 43-yard field goal and the Panthers were within five just 45 seconds into the fourth quarter.

The special teams ruined the defense again not long after. The ‘d’ came up with a stop and forced a punt but Byron Westbrook inexplicably ran back downfield to within inches of Antwaan Randle El and was throw into him by the Panthers.

The punt hit Westbrook’s foot and became property of the Panthers when Dante Wesley covered it. Jonathan Stewart scored from the 8 two plays later and Delhomme hit Steve Smith for the two-point conversion and suddenly the Panthers led 20-17.

The Redskins saw the ball once after Carolina took the lead. They drove from their 20 to midfield, punted and never saw it again.

Now they’re 2-3.

They walk out of the Queen City knowing their offense put together touchdown drives of 13 yards and about two feet. The Panthers allowed 5.4 yards a rush in their three losses; the Redskins averaged 3.1 and they did not have a rush longer than eight yards. Total offensive output: 198 yards. At least they were balanced: 98 in the first half and 100 in the second.

“Not sustaining drives put a lot of pressure on us,” Zorn said.

Throw out the two teeny scoring drives and the Redskins had eight other possessions. Five punts, a safety, a stop on downs and a field goal goes well beyond not sustaining and approaches not existing.

As Delhomme described himself as “great, wonderful, spectacular” with a first win in his pocket, the Redskins prepared themselves for another week of hectoring and hammering from their ever-growing pack of critics. The sound and fury promise to be withering, just as this team is.

Next up: The winless Kansas City Chiefs. Losers of five in a row, latest in overtime to the Dallas Cowboys.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

The Redskins are a reflection of Zorn's staying "medium" approach translation average, managing a game by playing it safe and not playing to win. This was the worst offensive output I've seen to date and its alarmingly clear he calls plays to manage the game we wont have a killer instinct offense because we take maybe 2 deep shots maximum a game at opposing DB's and blame it on QB pressure when asked why we didn't take more. A couple of times when JC dropped back I counted 4 sec from the time he had the ball which is enough time to get the ball out. Everyone is bashin D.Hall about not tackling Jake in the 4th but not how we had a 15 point lead and our offense got the ball 4 times in the 3rd quarter and did nothing not even the usual Field Goal thats what lost the game for us not D.Hall missing the Jake tackle.

HAIL or in our case FAIL

This really is a horrible ****ing team. It makes me sick. Our O line sucks. Our QB sucks. Our Running back is getting old. Our Defense isn't good enough to make up for these facts and the Organization itself is in shambles.

This isn't the same old story. This is really bad. Really embarrassing. For the last ten years this team at the least has been tolerable. Not anymore. This is a new chapter to the story. EMBARRASSMENT.

Makes me sick. But its so damn true.

Our Skins could have put a port a pop in the middle of that BOA stadium, stood in line and took turns taking a crap and it wouldn't be any damn different then what they gave us today. Or any game. :mad:

I love and I mean love my burgundy and gold but I cant abide these perpetrators currently wearing our beloved colors. Had enough man.

Its just embarrassing. Luckily our defense is good otherwise we'd be blown out all the time and be 0-5.

I almost wish our defense did suck for a couple games so we'd be forced to play an offensive game.

KC let Dallas come back and win, but we won't even try until it's too late. Cassel will be pressured and make plays, JC will be pressured and fold and Cassel is a guy who hadn't started a game since HIGH SCHOOL before last year.

This is the NFL. Things can turn upside down in one season.

Step 1. Get rid of Vinny.

Step 2. Acquire offensive linemen, defensive linemen, and a quarterback.

Trade Campbell and Landry for picks if possible. I'd trade Portis, too, but I don't think we'll have any takers.

Enough ****ing runningbacks and Cooley backups in the draft. If I see another tight end or fullback drafted when there are perfectly good linemen available, and I see the usual Vinny apologists defend taking a fullback or tight end, I'm going to scream.

Archived