Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You're Jim Zorn. What do you do NOW to keep your job?

Rocky52Mc

I think there is more than meets the eye about the Gibbs meeting . I really think Snyder is thinking about a move with Vinny . He can see as we can see Vinny is getting into a mire as GM . I think he talks Gibbs into returning as a top of the tree guy no sunday football duties per say but a guiding hand ... find a way to distance himself from the team ...

I think there is more than meets the eye about the Gibbs meeting . I really think Snyder is thinking about a move with Vinny . He can see as we can see Vinny is getting into a mire as GM . I think he talks Gibbs into returning as a top of the tree guy no sunday football duties per say but a guiding hand ... find a way to distance himself from the team ...

I pray you are right but fear you are reading too much into this. Love to have been a fly on the wall though.

As to what Zorn does next. Try to apply some sticking plaster to the O'line (pray Samuels is healthy for next week) and then keep coaching and try to control his own destiny by winning some games.

"You're Jim Zorn. What do you do NOW to keep your job?"

It's obvious. You conjure up some spells to make a couple young, stout, and healthy offensive linemen fall from the sky and miraculously land in Redskins Park.

What else can he do? Dan and Vinny have been neglecting the most important part of building an offense for years now.

Personally, I'd of walked last week when the "new set of eyes" were brought in to show me how to do my job. I can't think of a more insulting thing to happen to a HC.

That to me showed how weak willed Zorn is a man when Cerrato came to him and had him go with him to Snyder to ask cap in hand for some help because he can't get his specified area of the team to work.

If Zorn had changed O coordinators himself, or added to his staff through HIS choosing that would be one thing, but to have Vinny come tell him what was gona' happen, and then be dragged along to get Danny's okay was farcical, and made a laughing stock of the guy.

If that had been me, or I suspect most HC's with much of any personal pride, the response would of been "You let me coach and do this thing my way, or I'm out of here."

And this is a guy were having try lead 53 men. :doh:

As to the OP, the only thing he can do now is pray we somehow obliterate the Chiefs and Iggles, and he's not gone come the bye-week.

Hail.

Your thoughts on what Jim Zorn has to do to keep his job

Jim Zorn has already lost his chance to keep his job.

Going 2-3 in perhaps the easiest part of the schedule and struggling to score points against the worst defenses isn't how you keep your head coaching job.

At the end of the season Zorn is going to be fired, unless there is a miracle and we finish 11-5 or better and get to the second round of the playoffs.

This doesn't have to be entirely on him, but based off of our reputation it is. Jim Zorn could survive in another city, but not this one. We don't own a good reputation. Our owner doesn't hold a good football reputation aside from an economical standpoint.

This situation isn't certainly not entirely on Jim Zorn.

Imo he has never received the support from the FO to have the full authority of a HC from the way he was hired as an OC then 'promoted' to HC.

Then there was the media spat with Clinton Portis where Zorn came out looking soft.

Then there was talk of firing Zorn during his 1st season, where all he did was take a team picked to go 5-11 and finish 8-8.

That didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Where Zorn really lost this season happened in the offseason.

Mistake number 1: The coaching staff and the front office identify the OL as an area of weakness yet Zorn allowed Vinny to do nothing via the draft to solve this problem.

Mistake number 2: The way Campbell was treated in the offseason by the front office which undermined his authoirty with the team and by extention Jim Zorn's.

I remember at the owners meeting Zorn was asked wether the Skins were in the market for Jay Cutler and Zorn clearly said NO and that Campbell was his guy, then a week later he was singing a different tune.

Mistake number 3: The way preseason was handled. We wasted the chance to really work on the RZ and goalline offense. We wasted the chance to give our starters reps to get them in sync, we wasted the chance to find out if there were problems on offense because we played our starters the fewest preseason snaps in the league, fewer then veteran teams like the Colts and the Patriots.:doh:

Jim Zorn obviously won't sit back and take it......Anyways, whatever reputation the man has earned up to this point is moot unless he changes things himself. It's time to make changes.The play calling has to change immediately. The style, the decisions, and the circumstances, all need to be taken into account. We have to change our style and we have to change our choices. If Zorn can't make the necessary changes to adjust to the situation then he doesn't belong in this game, it's a the cold hard facts......Changes can come in the form of many things and you have to WANT to change in order to do so. I know Zorn can change, because he hasn't even established himself.......The point here is, Zorn, needs to make changes TODAY. Enforce them TOMORROW and get moving onto taking on Kansas City. It has to be done. For this team, for himself, for his reputation, for this community. He HAS to make changes, because it simply ISN'T working.

I agree with part of your assessment but what makes you think that Zorn is going to change?

Thus far Zorn hasn't changed he hasn't identified what to change to get the offense rolling and scoring in the RZ/goalline.

Judging from past performance there is nothing to suggest that he will change.

We're supposedly a WCO yet we attempt to run the ball (unsuccessfully)on the easiest passing down (1st down) like we're a power running team.

Despite the overwhelming evidence of Campbell's effectiveness in the shotgun and no huddle situation Zorn limits the use of shotgun.

Portis isn't 100% and the plan was to give other backs meaningful reps to keep CP fresh and running hard.

We don't keep the only running back with speed Alridge on our roster and we don't give other backs enough carries to get going.

Zorn needs to worry about finishing the season as the head coach, imo this is what he has to do:

o Stick with the philosophy of the WCO playcalling!(stop trying to be a power running team)

o Aim for a 60/40 pass run ratio

o Come out passing especially on 1st down

o Get the RBs involved catching passes

o Spread the defense out with 4/5 wide more often then throw your quick passing game

o Put Jason in shotgun more

o Run from the spread formations 3/4 wide

o Get the younger receivers involved

o Get Campbell moving sprint-out and roll-outs

o CALL A FREAKIN PLAYACTION PASS ON THE GOALLINE!!

Archived