Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Portis Isn't Winning Any Fans Among Teammates

@DCGoldPants

The cap hit the redskins will take if they throw portis out is insane. Unless portis does a Lavar and changes his contract, portis is here for the long haul

I think that is a myth. I see teams cutting/trading stars all the time, do they take a big cap hit. Did Dtroit take a huge hit trading Roy Williams last year? Is Cleveland taking a cap hit trading Edwards? Did the Rams take a hit releasing Holt this off season? The same with Dallas releasing TO. Why is it just the Skins who's gonna take a huge cap hit?

PS, there probably won't even be a cap next year.

So??

His best friend on the team is still in his corner and that's supposed to mean something? This team is becoming far too comfortable for any somewhat established veterans...

I don't care if your name is Portis or Mason, Moss or Mitchell...I want the coaches to start playing the best possible player at each position and I want the incumbent starters to quit acting entitled.

Much of this will resolve itself when some vets are let go this off-season.

Like I said, Portis and Moss are boys. They're not mad at each other.

They're also the only two players on our offense not named Cooley who have done a THING this year.

The media owns you all!

Read whole thread, then post.

I think that is a myth. I see teams cutting/trading stars all the time, do they take a big cap hit. Did Dtroit take a huge hit trading Roy Williams last year? Is Cleveland taking a cap hit trading Edwards? Did the Rams take a hit releasing Holt this off season? The same with Dallas releasing TO. Why is it just the Skins who's gonna take a huge cap hit?

PS, there probably won't even be a cap next year.

I think the teams you listed had the cap room to make such moves. The Skins have to spend a majority of most January just getting down to the cap.

Well, at least they rarely have to worry about game planning in January.

Trade him. Seriously look what the Brown's did with Edwards. This year isn't going great and Portis isn't fitting in. Trade him and grow this team correctly.

Yes people I know Portis is still good - but if you know anything about a long term successful football team you realize that isn't the point.

They're also the only two players on our offense not named Cooley who have done a THING this year.

The media owns you all!

Portis and Moss will always be friends, that's not the issue. But Sellers has a ton of friends on the team and is a very popular figure. Portis, not so much. We don't need a schismatic personality in the lockeroom, dividing players amongst each other, making them "pick sides." This is what TO habitually does in lockerrooms - it's not that everyone hates him, it's that he's so popular amongst so many players that he quite literally splits the lockerroom and turns teammates on each other.

Portis needs to stop blaming others for his lack of performance (i.e. the offensive line, Sellers, the coaches, the scheme, etc.) and make some damn plays. You can question Zorn's playcalling in the redzone all you want but the fact is, Portis never made a play when given numerous opportunities to do so

It's time to jettison Portis next offseason. Great, productive runningback, but no longer.

In terms of outright starters, we need a new QB, RB, RG, C, RT, DT.

We will probably need a DE for depth also (assuming Jarmon can start, or they decide to let Orakpo and Carter start on opposite sides), and we will need depth at DT (Golston and Montgomery expire once again at the end of this season).

This team is in shambles thanks to Vinny the ****ing idiot.

Trade him. Seriously look what the Brown's did with Edwards. This year isn't going great and Portis isn't fitting in. Trade him and grow this team correctly.

Yes people I know Portis is still good - but if you know anything about a long term successful football team you realize that isn't the point.

He is cuttable, he's not tradeable. No one is going to want to pay him what we pay him.

The media owns you all!

Hey. How come you haven't made any comments in OM's thread? Clearly he is saying what many of us have been saying. Be a man and say the same things to him that you say to the rest of us. Is it in you? Doubt it.

Agreed. The money Portis is making could pay for two starters on the OL. A dominant OL could get my sister to 1000 yards.

We will probably need a DE for depth also (assuming Jarmon can start, or they decide to let Orakpo and Carter start on opposite sides), and we will need depth at DT (Golston and Montgomery expire once again at the end of this season).

This team is in shambles thanks to Vinny the ****ing idiot.

What? We're so deep at DT that we're about to put Montgomery on IR to sign another punter!

If you're going to hate on Vinny, player personnel acquisitions aren't the area I'd focus on. We've gotten pretty good at grabbing players after that Archuleta/Lloyd fiasco.

Hey. How come you haven't made any comments in OM's thread? Clearly he is saying what many of us have been saying. Be a man and say the same things to him that you say to the rest of us. Is it in you? Doubt it.

Om presents facts, you present hate. But I'll go check it out. Maybe I'll find something to argue on.

What? We're so deep at DT that we're about to put Montgomery on IR to sign another punter!

If you're going to hate on Vinny, player personnel acquisitions aren't the area I'd focus on. We've gotten pretty good at grabbing players after that Archuleta/Lloyd fiasco.

Who will we have next year?

Pencil in Haynesworth as starter. How much longer do you think Cornelius Griffin is going to last? After those two, what DT's will be on the roster next season?

I know that wouldn't be a popular move, but I would agree with it. Get something for him while he still has value. The running game doesn't look good with him (not faulting Portis) against the worst teams in the league, so I doubt Portis alone will be able to turn that around once we start playing better teams. He will just be wasted unless the OL learns how to open some holes.

Edit: But the Skins might not get much in return for him b/c of this

He is cuttable, he's not tradeable. No one is going to want to pay him what we pay him.

McD5, your wish has been granted. Well, not really. But anyways, I have long been tired of Portis' me first act and the "it doesnt matter if you dont like me, Snyder is my homeboy" routine with players, coaches, and media. He is gone after this year and it is time to to give the running back by committee approach a try.

Some options next year via FA include Sproles, Ronnie Brown, and Chester Taylor. Any one of these guys matched with a complimentary back out of the draft will be a much needed breath of fresh air at the running back position.

At this point, I wouldn't care if Portis and Sellers got traded/cut/fired/quit. Portis' age has caught up to him and incidents like this don't help his cause, and while Sellers is overrated, at least he gets paid on par with his abilities.

Honestly, I'm not ready to fire Zorn just yet. I'd like to see what he can do with some new weapons in his backfield and behind center.

Who would trade for Clinton Portis, though, and what would we get for him?

Remember the Seahawks and Colts tried to unload Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James in their primes for a 2nd round pick and had no takers.

I literally think no team in the league would trade for him. In a vacuum, someone would give us a low-round pick, but not at his salary.

Just having bodies does not mean they are 'deep'. By a long shot. Besides, what's more important to you? A #4 DT or a starting punter? With this offense, the punter could be the MVP.

Who have they 'grabbed'?

Archived