Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley: Should Snyder get most of the blame?

bubba9497

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

Click link for entire article

Should Snyder get most of the blame?

October 1, 2009

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Washington Post columnist Sally Jenkins didn't pull any punches this morning when she went after Redskins owner Dan Snyder. She thinks the organization's failures fall squarely on the shoulders of Snyder, a man who can be hard to reach when the team's struggling.

"For a decade now, Daniel Snyder has made an utter mess of the team, and yet he seldom, if ever, takes responsibility for it," writes Jenkins. "He operates from behind a phalanx of security, proxies and media managers, routinely declining to comment and be accountable. He wants all the fun when they win and none of the blame when they lose. The most damning anecdote I've heard yet about Snyder came this week from his former player-confidante LaVar Arrington, who described how Snyder would stand outside the locker room and shake hands with players when they won, but glared and declined to offer a hand when they lost."

Jenkins would like for Snyder to be more accountable for his actions, but it's not like the guy's going to change. He worships Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, but he doesn't share Jones' charisma and desire to be the center of attention. Snyder can actually be somewhat engaging in one-on-one conversations, but those are few and far between. To actually think that Snyder would change his approach at this point seems pretty naive to me.

unfortunately, I think I have to agree with mosley and echo his conclusion that expecting snyder to relinquish control or change his stripes is increasingly hopeless...

SJ in her article summed it all up befittingly with the following quote: "It looks to me like Snyder would rather be the center of power on a losing team than a peripheral figure on a winning one."

To me, it's almost transparently obvious that the main reason so many people in the media dislike Snyder is because of how difficult he makes it for them to do their job. They distrust how secretive and private he is and I think they resent the fact that he doesn't speak to them but what, about once a year?

Why is there so much angst among Skins fans?

September 30, 2009 1:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Let's face it: The Redskins have one of the most frustrated fan bases in the league right now, and a lot of that has to do with their past success.

Longtime Beast and Hashmarks enthusiast Dan Steinberg of the D.C. Sports Bog looked at some numbers this morning that illustrate just how agonizing things have been over the past decade or so.

* Here's what other teams in the division have done since the Redskins last won an NFC East title. Eagles: five division titles, two wild cards, 10-7 in the playoffs, one NFC title. Giants: Three NFC East titles, three wild cards, 6-5 playoff record, two NFC titles, one Super Bowl title. Cowboys: One NFC title, two wild cards, 0-3 in the playoffs. Redskins: Two wild cards, 1-2 in the playoffs.

* It's been nine years since the Redskins hosted a playoff game, which is the fourth-longest drought in the league. The Redskins have also gone 18 years since winning a Super Bowl, which is the seventh-longest gap for a team owning a world title.

* I think there would be even more angst had the Cowboys won a playoff game in the past 13 years. Redskins fans dislike/hate the Cowboys more than any team in the division. I think fans have taken some solace in the fact that the Cowboys have gone through a similar drought. But it still feels like the Redskins are the most dysfunctional team in the division. Is that fair to say?

It's easy to paint Dan Snyder as the villain. But is it he? Or is it Vinny Cerrato alone who made all the stupid personnel moves over the past decade? Or was it the coaches (Marty, the Ol' Ball Coach, Gibbs II, or Zorn) who made the trades and chose to draft parts of the team, again and again, while ignoring other parts to the detriment of the final product?

At different times, I've heard the blame tossed around by the ES'ers, myself among them, that felt the blame was mostly Vinny, or mostly Snyder, or mostly a head coach that made the latest stupid move.

The truth is, unless Dan Snyder comes out and tells us, we'll never know. We're never in the meetings where they rate the draft picks. We weren't there when we decide to give up draft picks for some over-the-hill all-pro. Is it really the team's rating of all of the draft picks for the last decade that kept the team from ever drafting OL, despite a need seen by all, or was it an owner who put his thumb on the scale and said this player is more valuable than the others? Or was it Vinny, as the guy with the football knowledge, who ran the show and drafted who he wanted without Dan Snyder's input or backing? Or was it Gibbs who chose to get rid of Ramsey and bring in Brunell and then Campbell, without iinput from either Vinny or Dan? Or was it always a committee approach, where blame and credit are scattered like so much gas in the wind?

Don't know and don't care. Whoever it is has made a shambles of a once great team. The ones who did it know who they are. But they'll never read this note and they'll never let us know who is responsible for the dismal failure to build a team that actually has a chance to go to the postseason and the Super Bowl.

Too bad really. It was a great team once.

Well, we can sit here and hope something happens, or we can push the process along.

I would encourage true Redskin fans to show their displeasure this weekend. Not with booing, not with bags over their heads, not with anything so generalized or embarrassing to the organization.

Those in attendance should bring signs:

Turn over complete control to a real GM.

If even 200 people did that this weekend, it would be televised throughout the game, and it would be all over ESPN.

Do that two games in a row? He would get the message quickly. The pressure would be too much, and he would likely give in.

Snyder obviously has to shoulder a lot of blame for making impulse moves that compromise the core of the team. He has made personnel moves that were unnecessary, in order to get what he thinks are upgrades at certain positions and obviously the moves he's made haven't gotten us all that much closer to winning a title. For years, the 'Skins have been a team that should time and again compete, on paper.

He has done the same with the coaching department. This is a guy that honestly doesn't know anything about team chemistry. He never realized that shipping guys in and out can be/and has shown to be, as big a distraction as a cancer in the locker room. He has done things that certainly help in terms of production at certain positions, but as far as compiling the best group of guys that will work together the best he has never been successful. It has certainly been frustrating to see the over/under-achieving teams that he has gathered year after year without taking a REAL STEP towards being champions, but there is one thing that he does incredibly well...

He knows how to keep the offseason interesting.

I can only hope that through random moves he finally solves the Redskins' Rubik's cube...

Without the hiring of a GM, what could possibly change that?

This seriously pisses me off.

Pretty much dude, pretty much. Very disheartening. I waver between being pissed and acceptance that this is how it's going to be for who knows how long. Sucks for lack of a better word.

So is it bad luck? Or is Snyder just that bad?

Well look how many free agents he has gone after over the years. How many years, besides the Gibbs years, has the team been ran this way? If there was a needle in the haystack he sure hasn't found it. After 1999, all those signings, the team got worse in 2000 and in fact had the same collapse as last year 6-2 start 2-6 finish. After Marty in 01 they tried again, the team got worse and then worse again, now after Gibbs they sign Taylor, team got worse, now Haynesworth and Hall, and the team just keeps getting worse.

WTF?

You'd think that one of these times he'd at least get randomly lucky and a guy like Haynesworth eats entire Offensive Lines and Hall smothers defenders and gets 10 picks, but it isn't going to happen. There is no plan. Blache isn't using those guys, he didn't use Taylor. Snyder isn't Bobby Beathard, or even Joe Gibbs who is much inferior to Beathard IMO. Still Gibbs gets Washington, Griffen, Springs, Portis, one year, now we are back to signing and overpaying the wrong guys.

Snyder is no different than a random ES poster with the keys to the franchise. No different at all. In fact, there are probably 50 ES members we could come up with and unanimously agree that they'd do a better job of personnel selection that Snyder has. Easily.

Archived