Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scoring woes for the Redskins

fuji869

You're right!

In fact, those last three games in 2007, the Redskins won EACH of those games by MORE than ten points with Collins at the helm. The game before that, the game Collins came in off the bench cold, was only an eight point win.

Makes you wonder...

I agree to a point... Collins was born into that system. He knew it like anyone. I think he would have a much harder time running Zorn's west coast.

2007 we had a running game and a good D. This year, we have a paper team. A nice shinny package with nothing in it.

Not a hatter, but I recognize a purple cow when I see it.

Our qb is ranked 9th or better in every stat. Our passing game is ranked 11th

We have not had a 100 yard rusher in 12 games. And are currently ranked 24th rushing.

We have no running game. All of our offense has been through the passing game.

Why all this anger at the qb and not the running game? Maybe our RB is a back up now.

I know it would be nice to have a 100 yard rusher and a rushing td. We couldn't get 1 yard on the goal line last week and a yard to win the game the week before.

None of that matters?

Dude give it up already, we can't run because we can't pass, if you want to run without a passing game you better have a HOF type line, not an avg line like ours.

You can throw all the stats out you want trying to defend JC, but are you ready to back up those stats by saying JC is the 9th best QB in the league? Because we all know JC is lucky that Jamarcus Russell is starting these days or he would be tied for last place on that list.

JC does not belong in the NFL, and every week we continue on with him will just retard the growth of this team, and take season after season off the careers of top flight players, as in Cooley, Moss, Portis.

The running game will either come around or it won't. Unlike the QB position, we know that Portis is our best option at RB because we've seen Betts and Mason take snaps and they are less effective.

So, given that we're stuck waiting on the running game, we've had to pass out of necessity -- bloating our rank to 11th, in front of teams that are clearly more effective passing the ball on an every down basis than we are. How do I know that? BECAUSE THEY CAN SCORE POINTS AND BUILD LEADS! That is the only measure of a passing attack that matters.

Our passing is merely an effective run game substitute and nothing more. We have to do better or we have no chance this season.

if you look at the offensive stats on nfl.com you see that the skins are #8 in average yards per play this year. the offense has improved but we haven't solved the endzone problem.

i believe that orakpo would be a multisack phenom on any team but this one. :doh: the kid has great skills and should be used as a pass rusher on every down.

The running game will either come around or it won't. Unlike the QB position, we know that Portis is our best option at RB because we've seen Betts and Mason take snaps and they are less effective.

So, given that we're stuck waiting on the running game, we've had to pass out of necessity -- bloating our rank to 11th, in front of teams that are clearly more effective passing the ball on an every down basis than we are. How do I know that? BECAUSE THEY CAN SCORE POINTS AND BUILD LEADS! That is the only measure of a passing attack that matters.

Our passing is merely an effective run game substitute and nothing more. We have to do better or we have no chance this season.

Top 3 teams in scoring

1.NO Saints - rushing is 2nd in the league 170+ yards a game

2.Ravens - rushing 5th in the league 157+ yards a game

3.Cowboys - rushing 1st in the league 190+ yards a game

28. Redskins - 24th rushing 90 yards a game

Top 3 teams in rushing td's

1.Ravens 7

2.Cowboys 5

2.Saints 5

23. Redskins 1 by the punter

None of this matters?

All 3 top scoring teams in the nfl right now avg 100 yards a game as a team on the ground. We drove 75 yards on our first drive against the Lions and could not get 1 yard rushing for the TD. We had 0 rushing yards in the first half!!!! We have not had a 100 yard rusher in 12 games and we are 24th in rushing and avg less than 100 yards a game as a team.

None of that matters?

I don't know why people are bashing our psasing game. It is all the offense we have right now. We have ZERO rushing game. And till we do we will not score many points. Especially when we cant punch it in from the freaking goal line!!

The point is people want to tear down the only thing working, Our top 10 rated qb and 11 rated passing game. Why don't we try to fix out 24th ranked rushing game first and see how a multi dimensional offense looks?

Some offensive passing stats

We are 9th in avg yards a play at 7.7

2nd in 1st% 42.7% of passes are first downs!!!!

12th in plays over 20+ yards

4th in first downs

10th yards a game at 249. 60+ yards more than last year

5th in completion percentage!!!!!!

And top 10 in every other stat!!!!

Imagine of we had a 100 yard rusher on top of that!!!!!

Another good point...

Collins didn't do particularly well during this year's preseason...

He didn't have that much opportunity either. He played solid when he was in there relative to the other guys. He played well enough that he Zorn did not need to see anymore and let Colt and Chase battle it out off the active roster.

Jason was pretty bad in the first two games. Played really well in the 3rd game and did next to nothing in limited action in the last game.

Todd Collins strength is his decision making and defensive reads. Those skills are not easily showcased in preseason. Both teams are running vanilla schemes for the most part. Todd does not have a great arm. In a game featuring physical talent alone without much emphasis on schemes, he isn't going to look great.

Regardless, I don't want to turn this into another one those other threads, but I really would like to see what we would look like with him for a few games.

Our qb is ranked 9th or better in every stat. Our passing game is ranked 11th

We have not had a 100 yard rusher in 12 games. And are currently ranked 24th rushing.

We have no running game. All of our offense has been through the passing game.

Why all this anger at the qb and not the running game? Maybe our RB is a back up now.

I know it would be nice to have a 100 yard rusher and a rushing td. We couldn't get 1 yard on the goal line last week and a yard to win the game the week before.

None of that matters?

Ranked 9th in every stat,blah blah blah... he is not a good qb period,he does not lead this team..he misses routine throws,he holds on to the ball to long..he does not read defenses very well,he cant audible himself out of a paper bag..

i could keep going,he is just a tad better than jamarcus russell and that is bad..qb is all about putting you're team in the end zone any way you can,and getting wins.. being ultra safe and not scoring points,that is campbell's game..

Top 3 teams in scoring

1.NO Saints - rushing is 2nd in the league 170+ yards a game

2.Ravens - rushing 5th in the league 157+ yards a game

3.Cowboys - rushing 1st in the league 190+ yards a game

28. Redskins - 24th rushing 90 yards a game

I think we're all in agreement that their are big problems on offense, but the question is how do we fix them?

JC apologists all have a scapegoat for the offense... be it midget receivers, a poor offensive line, or an aging running back.

So... would you recommend overhauling this entire offense, and rebuilding the team around JC?

College football programs are throwing the ball more and more often now, and some good quarterbacks are coming out of school these days (Flacco, Ryan, Sanchez). There is no reason to accept this kind of mediocrity, especially with the talent that has been coming out of colleges recently.

I think we're all in agreement that their are big problems on offense, but the question is how do we fix them?

JC apologists all have a scapegoat for the offense... be it midget receivers, a poor offensive line, or an aging running back.

So... would you recommend overhauling this entire offense, and rebuilding the team around JC?

College football programs are throwing the ball more and more often now, and some good quarterbacks are coming out of school these days (Flacco, Ryan, Sanchez). There is no reason to accept this kind of mediocrity, especially with the talent that has been coming out of colleges recently.

All I did was make a statistical analysis of our offense. And asked why no one is mentioning our non extent running game.

We are almost dead last in running. I think that is a bigger concern right now than our 92 rated qb

Is passing TDs a stat?

Because he is currently tied at 18th.

Oh, did not see that. He has 3td's tied for 18th. 9th place is 4td's That would be his highest stat than.

CP is tied at 32nd with 0 rushing td's

Dude, will you get off the TD lovers bandwagon? Don't you know football is all about completion percentage?

:doh:

Where is the same outrage at our running game.

We are 24th in rushing!!!!. Our only rushing tds is by our punter!!!

We have not had a 100 yard rusher in over 12 games!!!!!

We could not punch it in at the 1 yard line. :doh:

No one is saying JC is a super star. I am just pointing out he is adequate and the concern should be zero running game.

24th in rushing. Not one thread on cp's play or the running game. Am I the only person who remembers we win when CP gets a 100?

this was posted in another thread:

here are campbells numbers when this team is winning.

9/14, 99 yards, 64% comp, 0 TD, 0 INT, 85 rating.

pretty bland.

campbell when the team is down by 1-8 points:

20/35, 221 yards, 57% comp, 0 TD, 1 INT, 64 rating.

now for campbell when the team is down by 9-16 points (2 scores)

25/32, 287 yards, 78% comp, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 122 rating.

We are almost dead last in running. I think that is a bigger concern right now than our 92 rated qb

So... I ask again, since you've discounted the possibility that the running game is ineffective because defenses are selling out on the run and daring JC to beat them...

...then do we revamp the line, draft a new running back, and essentially rebuild the entire offense around JC?

And then what, we give him another season to let the offensive line gel and become acclimated to the WCO? This is not a strawman, but I'm just trying to take a stab at where the JC apologist crowd thinks we should go with this.

How far are we going to take this before we admit that JC is, if not the entire problem, at least a big part of the reason why this offense doesn't score points?

Missing wide open receivers down the field, making bad reads, and leaving points on the field are not part of the calculation of his sparkly "92 QB rating," BTW.

So... I ask again, since you've discounted the possibility that the running game is ineffective because defenses are selling out on the run and daring JC to beat them...

...then do we revamp the line, draft a new running back, and essentially rebuild the entire offense around JC?

And then what, we give him another season to let the offensive line gel and become acclimated to the WCO? This is not a strawman, but I'm just trying to take a stab at where the JC apologist crowd thinks we should go with this.

How far are we going to take this before we admit that JC is, if not the entire problem, at least a big part of the reason why this offense doesn't score points?

Missing wide open receivers down the field, making bad reads, and leaving points on the field are not part of the calculation of his sparkly "92 QB rating,"

BTW.

Wow. First I never made any assumptions at why we are 24th in rushing.

Next I used to stats to show why we are 1-2 and struggling to score based on what the top scorig teams are doing.

I am not a appologist. Last I checked there are 13 games left. My concentns winnng football. Not what we should do next season. This season JC is our qb and the major issue with the offense is our lack of a runnng game.

Why are you not angry at the lack of rushing? Wouldn't it be nice to have a 100 yard rusher?

Wow. First I never made any assumptions at why we are 24th in rushing.

Well, why don't you take a stab at it? I hinted at it in my last post.

Next I used to stats to show why we are 1-2 and struggling to score based on what the top scorig teams are doing.

Sorry, but your analysis in no way proved why we are 1-2. You see, what teams are doing nowadays is throwing the ball early to build a lead, and running the ball late in the game.

I'll use one of your examples:

Week 1, Ravens vs. Chiefs

In that game, the Ravens' play calling looked like this:

1st half - 31 pass plays, 10 run plays

2nd half - 21 pass plays, 24 run plays

You are getting causation all mixed up. In the modern NFL, it's the pass that enables the run, not vice versa.

However, if you have a quarterback and a passing game that is not at all scary to opposing defenses (ask Rodney Harrison, an actual football player), then it is impossible to back the defenders off of the line in order to allow for running lanes.

This season JC is our qb and the major issue with the offense is our lack of a runnng game.

So, how do you suggest that we fix the running game this year?

I keep hearing all these stats showing how ineffective the running game is and how great the passing attack has been...as if they are completely separate and independent entities. Last I heard, they fed off of each other.

A team defending an offense that hasn't shown the ability to win a game through the air might cheat their safeties up to stop the run until they are burned by doing so. So far, it hasn't happened.

Also, many of the better statistical running teams in the league get that way because they are able to pad their stats when nursing a lead. The Skins offense has been just the opposite - they've been playing catch-up in two of their three games and have been able to pad their PASSING stats in the meantime, while not having the time to run the ball.

Well, why don't you take a stab at it? I hinted at it in my last post.

Sorry, but your analysis in no way proved why we are 1-2. You see, what teams are doing nowadays is throwing the ball early to build a lead, and running the ball late in the game.

I'll use one of your examples:

Week 1, Ravens vs. Chiefs

In that game, the Ravens' play calling looked like this:

1st half - 31 pass plays, 10 run plays

2nd half - 21 pass plays, 24 run plays

You are getting causation all mixed up. In the modern NFL, it's the pass that enables run, not vice versa.

However, if you have a quarterback and a passing game that is not at all scary to opposing defenses (ask Rodney Harrison, an actual football player), then it is impossible to back the defenders off of the line in order to allow for running lanes.

So, how do you suggest that we fix the running game this year?

What?

You used 1 game from week one to make argument than back it up with Rodney Harrison? Really?

Fine you win. The reason we have no running game is JC's fault. :hysterical:

Next it is not my place to say what we should do. i am not the head coach. I do not have the privilege of the inside information on what is really going on in the play calling and execution. None of us do.

The only point I am making is we are moving the ball and gaining first downs through the air but can not seem to run the ball.

I guess here in the NFC East running the ball is overrated. Sorry I just would like to find out which of our RB's will score a Td and get 100 yards rushing?

Fact is it has been 12 games since we have had a 100 yard rusher. Blame who you want.

I keep hearing all these stats showing how ineffective the running game is and how great the passing attack has been...as if they are completely separate and independent entities. Last I heard, they fed off of each other.

A team defending an offense that hasn't shown the ability to win a game through the air might cheat their safeties up to stop the run until they are burned by doing so. So far, it hasn't happened.

Also, many of the better statistical running teams in the league get that way because they are able to pad their stats when nursing a lead. The Skins offense has been just the opposite - they've been playing catch-up in two of their three games and have been able to pad their PASSING stats in the meantime, while not having the time to run the ball.

Really? So Scoring rushing td's are padded stats? That is why I included that stat.The same teams leading in rushing also put the ball in the end-zone on the ground when they get in the redzone. We just got stopped on the gaol line by the lions. We had 0 yards rushing in the first half.

We have 1 rushing td, by the punter :doh:

Fine you win. The reason we have no running game is JC's fault. :hysterical:

If JC was able to hit a few of the deep balls he's thrown, the defense would back off and running game would open right up. It's all about the balance...

I'm not saying that it's JC's fault, but he's certainly not helping.

If JC was able to hit a few of the deep balls he's thrown, the defense would back off and running game would open right up. It's all about the balance...

I'm not saying that it's JC's fault, but he's certainly not helping.

We are 9th in yards an attempt at 7.7

We are 12th in plays over 20 yards

We are 2nd in passes for 1st down.

We are 24th in rushing.

We have not had a 100 yard rusher in 12 games

Blame who you want. It makes no sense our 8th ranked rush offense last year should be struggling now when the passing game is playing better than it did last year.

I guess JC is just so bad.

What?

You used 1 game from week won to make argument than back it up with Rodney Harrison? Really?

I'm sorry, but I don't have time to map out all nine games of the teams in your example, but I'd bet my next paycheck that most of them look much like that one.

Rodney Harrison may be a dick, but he has played on an actual NFL defense and HAS lined up against JC. Attack the argument, not the man.

We are 9th in yards an attempt at 7.7

We are 12th in plays over 20 yards

We are 2nd in passes for 1st down.

We are 24th in rushing.

We have not had a 100 yard rusher in 12 games

Blame who you want. It makes no sense our 8th ranked rush offense last year should be struggling now when the passing game is playing better than it did last year.

I guess JC is just so bad.

In two of the three games,most of those passing stats everyone loves to talk about came in garbage time...the stats don't mean **** if you're not scoring touchdowns...

Archived