Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles sign Trotter

Alabama Man

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Eagles_sign_Trotter.html

Jeremiah Trotter is going to get a chance to see if it's true what they say about the third time.

The Eagles signed the former Pro Bowl middle linebacker to a one-year deal at the league minimum. The move would have come as a surprise a week ago, but seemed to become a formality yesterday when Trotter worked out for a second time. Trotter, a four-time Pro Bowler, last played for the Eagles in 2006. It's not exactly clear what role Trotter will play in his return to the Eagles.

"I don't think they brought me back to play special teams," Trotter said today at the NovaCare Complex.

Trotter said he was still in a state of shock. It's safe the say he's probably not the only one. Nevertheless, Trotter is back and he'll be wearing his old No. 54 after he made a deal with linebacker Tracy White.

"I always dreamed I would retire as an Eagle," said Trotter, who felt like he had at least three years of football left in his 32-year-old body. "Hopefully, that can still happen."

Trotter said that he did better than he expected on a physical the Eagles gave him yesterday. "They said my knees looked better" than last time he was with the Eagles, Trotter said. "Which is odd for me." Trotter said he had his right knee cleaned out a few months after he was released by Tampa Bay following the 2007 season. He spent the 2008 season out of the league.

He said today that he weighed around 257 pounds. He also revealed that he worked out for the St. Louis Rams in the off-season, but nothing came of it. Still, he kept training and kept believing that this day would come.

"Jeremiah Trotter has always been one of my favorite players,” head coach Andy Reid said in a press release. “He has worked very hard to keep himself in shape and we are pleased with where he is physically. We are excited to give him an opportunity to contribute to our football team.”

To make room for Trotter on their 53-man roster, the Eagles have released quarterback Jeff Garcia.

“Jeff Garcia is a true professional and I know the players and coaches appreciated having him around these last two weeks," Reid said. "There is no doubt Jeff can still perform at a championship caliber level in the National Football League.”

Is Trotter better than Gaither? Maybe. Mays? Of course. But I doubt you get an entire season, and he'll be even more a liability in pass coverage than Gaither. And he won't play special teams.

I like to rip the redskins for carrying 5 RBs, but this is one roster move that's really got me scratching my head. How can the 32yo complete unknown contribute? Is any part of this because of locker room leadership, what with Sheldon and the mask being supported by the other players? I don't know.

Is Trotter better than Gaither? Maybe. Mays? Of course. But I doubt you get an entire season, and he'll be even more a liability in pass coverage than Gaither. And he won't play special teams.

I like to rip the redskins for carrying 5 RBs, but this is one roster move that's really got me scratching my head. How can the 32yo complete unknown contribute? Is any part of this because of locker room leadership, what with Sheldon and the mask being supported by the other players? I don't know.

It is an odd signing. Not quite as "WTF?" as Vick, but I don't get it. He's essentially Kirkland from... what was it 2003? If they're relying on him to shore up the middle for the length of the season, the Eagles are in heap of trouble. I don't see how you can have a back-up LB who doesn't play teams, is old, has knees worse than mine and expect him to take on guards and FBs. IMO, his leadership only comes into play if he can play. I don't think NFL players respond to players that suck.

All that being said, I like Trotter as a player and as an Eagle. He's great in the locker room, and plays with a passion similar to what Dawk brought each game.

All that being said, I like Trotter as a player and as an Eagle. He's great in the locker room, and plays with a passion similar to what Dawk brought each game.

Speaking of which, did you see Dawk's tackle on Sunday?

I think it's slightly related, because the leadership he brings is missing, and they're scraping at Trotter IMO to help in that regard. I'm not sure if it will work, because like you say, players won't respect someone who sucks.

Look, as Redskins fans, what is Trotter? Great against the run. Well how do you play the Redskins? Stop the run. That's 2 games right there. Maybe it works well enough for them.

Archived