Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Winners! - How do we get this attitude?

ThePreciating

I told him that he would do a better job for us right now taking a shower and coming back and watching the game than going out on the field. I'd rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we have to do something else rather than play with 11 when I know right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team,

When DeAngelo Hall is getting beaten by receivers half his caliber, I think of this quote. When Portis can't dive ahead for one yard on a 4th and 1 (despite the fact that he is paid much more than the top-performing backs), I think of this quote. When we're still celebrating big plays while we're down two scores against a miserable team, I think of this quote.

It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners! I want people that want to win.

I have always loved our spending sprees, but I am starting to think that this result is inevitable. It becomes more about the players than about the team. It's a tough pill to swallow, because I am one of the people who gets super-excited when big-name guys like Haynesworth and Hall and Portis become Redskins. But somehow, we end up worse for it more often than not.

What will it take to get the "I want winners" attitude in Redskins park?

I don't want a hate Campbell thread, or a hate Zorn thread, or a hate Vinny thread, or a hate Snyder thread. I want legitimate answers on where and how we get this mentality.

Bad response: Screw Vinny! Get us a real GM!

Good response: Vinny evaluates talent well, but doesn't seem to plan ahead to see how this talent will fit in together. When you build a team without considering chemistry, you set yourself up for a mentality that is player-based instead of team-based.

Bad response: It's the owner! Sell the team Dan, you ****!

Good response: Dan has to be willing to give the organization time to fully implement a philosophy and identity before pulling the carpet out from under it. We can't rebuild our culture until we are patient enough to let a winning culture develop. Snyder's insistence on quick results makes it hard to develop winners.

So let's hear it. Why don't we have an "I want winners" mentality? Who does it need to come from? What can we do to get it? Good responses only, please.

By saying you want it on a message board?

Listen, I know we're all upset. I was hoping for a thread filled with intelligent responses about what is wrong with the current culture and why it needs to change. All we end up getting is "screw this guy, screw that guy." We're smarter than that as a fan base. Most of us refer to the Redskins as "we" - so let's get some constructive comments in here!

Listen, I know we're all upset. I was hoping for a thread filled with intelligent responses about what is wrong with the current culture and why it needs to change. All we end up getting is "screw this guy, screw that guy." We're smarter than that as a fan base. Most of us refer to the Redskins as "we" - so let's get some constructive comments in here!

it's the same answer that's been repeated on here over and over, in the media over and over.. by everyone over and over.

it starts at the top down. just like a company, the culture is created by the companies management.

until Dan "the antichrist" Snyder admits that he and Vinny don't know jack **** about building a successful NFL team, and hires a proven GM and allows him to hire everyone top down and build a team... we will adopt the culture handed down by Snyder and Cerrato... which is a culture of mediocre soft losers who play for money.

Singletary, son of Buddy Ryan....these guys have a swagger and an "in your face" type of style. I don't know if the locker room would appreciate this type of coach as it is constructed right now. They wouldn't like their butts kicked on a daily basis.

Currently, our coach seems pretty spineless, and wears too many hats right now. He's spread too thin.

until Dan "the antichrist" Snyder admits that he and Vinny don't know jack **** about building a successful NFL team, and hires a proven GM and allows him to hire everyone top down and build a team... we will adopt the culture handed down by Snyder and Cerrato... which is a culture of mediocre soft losers who play for money.

I thought so too. It's frustrating though, because we have been successful with some personnel decisions. London Fletcher was a great signing. Chris Horton and Stephon Heyer were both acquired for essentially free. Vinny was here for the Taylor, Landry, Cooley, and Rogers picks. It's very interesting that our homegrown Skins perform so much better than our free agents (except London).

attitude falls on the coach to me. you were quoting Singletary who has changed the attitude in SF. this team just lacks the hunger you need to win in the NFL. and to me, that starts with the coaching staff.

Under Gibbs II, I felt like we were starting to get it back. I can't believe we could fall off so quickly.

After losing Sean Taylor and pulling together a five-game win streak, I had never felt prouder of the Redskins. I don't know if those Redskins exist anymore. :cry:

i love singletarys attitude, but snyder is such a clown i doubt he could handle a guy laying the law down for us.

imagine singletary telling portis to STFU and bench him in the 1st quarter. portis would cry to snyder, snyder would cry at singletary, and so on.

zorn is a puppet, and we need a coach thats bigger than the almighty dan who is allowed to coach.

Hate to say it but when you're heading in the wrong direction, backing up is actually progress. This team needs to bottom out so that no amount of rationalization or equivocation can hide the fact that the organization is one of the worst in the league. The team needs to have an historically bad season with blowout losses, half-filled stadiums, locker room fistfights and absolute excoriation at the hands of the media. It needs the season ticket list to drop by 75%. It needs local TV ratings for Redskin-related shows to plummet. It needs to see team merchandise sit stagnant on shelves for months on end. It needs celebrities and politicians to start politely declining his invitations to sit in the owners box out of embarrassment. It needs its most distinguished alumni like Darrell Green, Art Monk and Sonny Jurgensen to join the already growing ranks of disgusted former players who are openly critical of the team. There has to be an indelible stigma associated with the team. Only then will Dan Snyder be forced to confront himself and face facts: what he does DOESN'T WORK.

With that realization will come some change. I'm not saying Dan Snyder will be a transformed man, but he might be desperate enough to let a strong-willed, established, front-office executive into the inner circle and that could be the seed that grows into some true learning on Snyder's part. Maybe. All I know is that until Snyder sees tangible impacts of what I believe is public weariness with his team, he will ignore the vocal critics and simply point to the team's profitability and increased value as the true indicator of how he's doing as the owner.

i love singletarys attitude, but snyder is such a clown i doubt he could handle a guy laying the law down for us.

imagine singletary telling portis to STFU and bench him in the 1st quarter. portis would cry to snyder, snyder would cry at singletary, and so on.

zorn is a puppet, and we need a coach thats bigger than the almighty dan who is allowed to coach.

You're right. It feels like we keep trying to luck into a playoff spot instead of trying to build a team that consistently competes for championships year-in, year-out.

I think the players aren't made to feel accountable to the coaches. No player should be above being benched.

This team needs more Masons, more Mitchells, and fewer Halls and Portises.

Spot on with this comment and I couldn't agree more. Why was Henson not run out of town after his bonehead Twitter comment after the Rams game? Portis calls out the head coach last year and he doesn't get benched? Same with Cooley and his comments after last week, why was he not benched to send a clear message of "Keep your mouth shut and play." I am so sick of players have more authority than coaches just because they are the ones making the plays. We all forget that while NFL players do have a natural talent, their talent would be nothing without coaches developing that talent and showing them how to play the game.

I think a winning culture must be:

1. envisioned by the owner

2. bought into by the GM

3. implemented by the coach

4. upheld by the players

Our culture is none of these things.

I agree! IMO we have players who think they are above the coaches and can say and do what they please without accountability to the coaching staff. We need a coaching staff that will have the same expectations for every player regarldess of name, regardless of salary cap implications. Play to win every day or leave. Although we have some players on the defense that are leaders, it is really up to the coaches to hold players accountable. I don't think the players see our coaches as leaders nor do they respect them in a manner necessary to build a championship team. They may like them as people, but they certainly do not feel like they are accountable to the coaches for their play.

attitude falls on the coach to me. you were quoting Singletary who has changed the attitude in SF. this team just lacks the hunger you need to win in the NFL. and to me, that starts with the coaching staff.

Snyderatto couldn't handle a head coach with a personality like Singletary.

Did you all realize that we've won just 3 of our last 11 games?

I want legitimate answers on where and how we get this mentality.

By hiring coaches like Mike Singletary. He should have been a HC long beforehand. Zorn comes off like a clueless wimp and Blache is not much better. Changing the environment and subsequent attitude has to start with the coaching staff.

We need a coach with that "I want winners" attitude. So far it seems to me that Zorn isn't that type of guy.

Last season when we beat the Eagles and Cowboys in back-to-back weeks and they showed him in the locker room with the team huddled around him chanting the old George Allen "Hip-Hip-Horray" chant I genuinely thought we had that kind of leader in Zorn and I was excited about the future. But somewhere along the way it seems like Zorn lost that touch that he had with the team and we started getting all of these "me-first/player-over-team" On that four game run we scored 29, 24, 26 and 23 points against (for the most part) good teams.

I don't know how or what, but the Rams game broke the team's will and things went downhill from there, Portis started talking to the media, questions came up about the hiring of Zorn and the wheels came completely off. At the peak of our 6-2 run last year you could feel the support that the team had for Zorn and for the team in general, we played like a team and not like a bunch of personalities.

Zorn will do one of two things IMO, and that is he will get back in there, bond with his players and pull everyone back into a team, slowly building trust with his players which in turn, would IMHO, put us in a good position to make a 3-0 run and go into the Monday Night showdown at FedEx with a full head of steam to take out the Eagles and get this thing back in our court.

The second thing that could happen, is that this will break the team for good and we will probably lose to the lowly Bucs, the Panthers and maybe just barely beat KC, just before getting smoked by the Eagles on Monday night. If this happens we're looking at a 4-12 or 5-11 type season, Zorn would obviously be fired and hopefully Snyder would finally listen to the experts and get a GM who would help us find the best coach available (not sure who that is, but a good GM would scout out someone like Mike Singletary who has heart and builds the team into just that, a real team that plays to win) which in turn would put us in position to make a run at Bradford or whomever is deemed the top QB of the 2010 class, rebuilding the offense and hopefully scouting out someone who can use our defensive weapons like they should be.

So basically, one extreme or the other. And all of us had better wish on our lucky stars that we don't finish in the middle of the pack again, another mediocre season is the worst thing that can happen to this franchise at this point.

Archived