Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting ready for Detroit.

Art

sellers had no problem catching TD passes under gibbs in 05. he caught 12 passes that season, 7 were for TDs.

it was one drop, our offense shouldnt hinge on one drop from a proven and respected guy like sellers.

In '05 weren't most of those passes on swing outs and releases instead of trying to catch the ball on a dead run? Either way I guess . . .

What I want to know is......what exactly has changed? Numbers don't lie.

2008 Total Offense

Rank 19th- Washing Redskins 320 yards/game

2009 Total Offense

Rank 19- Washington Redskins 317 yds/game

2008 Scoring

Rank 28- Washington Redskins 16.6 points/game

2009 Scoring

Rank 30- Washington Redsking 13 points/game

nothing has changed, and nothing other than the miracle art referenced suggests that somehow this week were gonna start blowing up the scoreboard. no matter who we play and how bad they are, this team always keeps it within one possession.

I am willing to give Zorn the rest of the season. If we continue to look like crap on offense and the team continues to under perform I want Shanahan next year. This team hasnt had a decent offense since Norv. Snyder knows the fans want to see us score touchdowns and I think he will gun for Shanahan to do that.

In '05 weren't most of those passes on swing outs and releases instead of trying to catch the ball on a dead run? Either way I guess . . .

that i couldnt tell you, but lets be honest. how fast is a "dead run" for mike sellers? lol

all i know is hes found ways to hang on to a football in his career so im not ready to get down on a guy whos been one of our biggest contributors on offense for the last 4 years.

WINNING isn't everything,....it's the only thing. -Vince Lombardi

Just WIN Baby! -Al Davis

You play...to WIN...the game. -Herman Edwards

Last time checked, we WON last Sunday.

Yea we won but the problem is the way we won. We were playing the Rams. We arent going to beat good teams with that kind of football. The rams are awful and they still almost beat us. We cant win in this league by kicking field goals and terrible play calling at crucial times in the game.

I am willing to give Zorn the rest of the season. If we continue to look like crap on offense and the team continues to under perform I want Shanahan next year. This team hasnt had a decent offense since Norv. Snyder knows the fans want to see us score touchdowns and I think he will gun for Shanahan to do that.

weve scored 3 TDs at fedex in our past 5 games there. last time we scored 2 TDs at fedex was october 19th 2008. sometimes i wonder how thats even possible.

COMPLETELY disagree,

First off, Marty was the man, the amount he did and accomplished WHILE saving the team out of cap hell is simply amazing, the amount of players he found out of no where was awesome, and aside from Davis, we would win with no offense. We could have built upon that. He had an "identity", like you are looking for out of Zorn.

And Zorn is a .500 coach, almost NO coach has a record this good after 18 games. The yards are there, we lose one came against possibly the bet team in the league by less then one score, and we win the other, and we are all ready to punt the season and the future over that? Finally we have a guy that is willing to go for the kill shot, go for it on 4th down and take control of the game and play it right. Not having an "identity" is not always a bad thing. Sure, when you don't have an identity you done get a cool nick name like "the greatest show on turf" or "fun and gun", but you are more unpredictable and harder to game plan for.

I say that we will kill the Lions, and that Zorn stays with the team for a long time.

Lets see. The Skins move the ball between the 20's. But the Redzone offense doesn't execute. Thats it. It can be fixed. This is more BS. Not worth discussing really. I mean, when this team wins, nobody has nothing to say. Its a shame.

That film on NFL.com tells the story. We don't see the entire story.

Yes, it can be fixed. And I hope it will get fixed. However, there isn't much proof of that turnaround present.

Since the 2nd half collapse, the Redskins offense, both players and Zorn's playcalling have not performed to the level that fans expect. I still believe they have the talent (that can debatable as well depending on your personal feelings), but we seem to not score points.

During the 2-6 run end of 2008, we averaged 12.5 pts/game. This is BELOW the worst team in the NFL in scoring last year the Bengals, who were without Carson Palmer. The Bengals averaged 12.75 pts/game. Yes, we played some tougher defenses in the 2nd half of the season. But we still didn't play as relatively well against the scrub ones either (compared to their own scoring D numbers). We did play 6 of the 10 worst scoring D's in 2008.

The Rams gave up about 30 pts/game last year. They had given up 28 pts to the Seahawks week 1. We still couldn't punch it in. Only once since December 2004 have the Rams allowed fewer than 9 points.

I agree with Art. There is time to fix the problems, but they're clearly there. It might be early in the season, but the problems have carried over during Zorn's tenure. As the head coach and offensive playcaller, it is his responsibility to get the team in the best possible situation to put up points and win games. It is the players' responsibilities to successfully execute those schemes. Regardless of whose fault it is, the Redskins need to improve quickly to establish any hope for being a true contender in the NFL.

We'll go to the playoffs so this conversation will be irrelevant. This league is such a week to week league that we can't truly make judgements about Zorn until the end of this year. By the end of this year, I believe we'll have improved enough to go to the playoffs and thus save Zorn's job.

So you think we should stay Medium....

WINNING isn't everything,....it's the only thing. -Vince Lombardi

Just WIN Baby! -Al Davis

You play...to WIN...the game. -Herman Edwards

Last time checked, we WON last Sunday.

We won. And had we won by kicking a field goal at the end, or even missing a field goal at the end, I'd probably not be half so concerned. But, when my head coach does something you wouldn't even do in Madden 2010, it's time to panic. That was so low intelligence and insanely stupid that ONCE you got away with it once, you should have run like a thief in the night before doing it again.

And he did it again.

That was criminally bad judgement. Repetitively.

COMPLETELY disagree,

First off, Marty was the man, the amount he did and accomplished WHILE saving the team out of cap hell is simply amazing, the amount of players he found out of no where was awesome, and aside from Davis, we would win with no offense. We could have built upon that. He had an "identity", like you are looking for out of Zorn.

And Zorn is a .500 coach, almost NO coach has a record this good after 18 games. The yards are there, we lose one came against possibly the bet team in the league by less then one score, and we win the other, and we are all ready to punt the season and the future over that? Finally we have a guy that is willing to go for the kill shot, go for it on 4th down and take control of the game and play it right. Not having an "identity" is not always a bad thing. Sure, when you don't have an identity you done get a cool nick name like "the greatest show on turf" or "fun and gun", but you are more unpredictable and harder to game plan for.

I say that we will kill the Lions, and that Zorn stays with the team for a long time.

Marty put the team in cap hell, he didn't get us out of it. He left $30 million in budgeted money unspent while giving Jeff George millions in guarantees. The problem with Marty wasn't identity -- which, by the way, he didn't have, it was established in spite of him -- it was that the players OPENLY rebelled against him. They held a team meeting and came out of it determined to play together in spite of their coach.

Marty VERY skillfully tapped into this and he adjusted well defensively, making things very simple, and offensively was horrendous, but at least it was focused. The problem is, other than LaVar, just about everyone else would have left the team for Marty to have done anything here.

Remember, this is a man who cut a Pro Bowl player for wearing a baseball cap. He almost destroyed that team. That's fine, if you intend to give him five or six years to rebuild it in his image, but, some of what he did was so strange as to require examination.

We won. And had we won by kicking a field goal at the end, or even missing a field goal at the end, I'd probably not be half so concerned. But, when my head coach does something you wouldn't even do in Madden 2010, it's time to panic. That was so low intelligence and insanely stupid that ONCE you got away with it once, you should have run like a thief in the night before doing it again.

And he did it again.

That was criminally bad judgement. Repetitively.

Yeah, but he also called the right plays that were dropped by Sellars and Thomas for TD's. Although, I still believe that not many recievers would've caught that pass to Thomas because there was a a lot of heat on it at close range. It's both execution and playcalling Art.

As for this, I recall when Zorn was hired someone told me the team wanted a Jeff Fisher to call its own. I wondered if hiring a guy older than Fisher was made sense in that goal, but, the rationale was someone who came to us and became a fixture with us, because of us and because of him.

I really want Zorn to succeed. I think he's a tremendously fun personality and would love if that style worked as a head coach. It IS possible he can succeed. He just has to come to grips with what his team can do.

People correctly point out a handful of plays that could have seen us at 30 points. Part of the problem is with this team, knowing it has trouble stringing 16 plays together and scoring touchdowns, you can't build your entire concept on 16-play drives. They NEVER finish. So you have to figure out how to finish differently. Teams do have trouble covering us in intermediate routes. It's here you have to strike.

Yeah, but he also called the right plays that were dropped by Sellars and Thomas for TD's. Although, I still believe that not many recievers would've caught that pass to Thomas because there was a a lot of heat on it at close range. It's both execution and playcalling Art.

I liked the call to Big Mike. Tough break he didn't score. And you're right that there's an execution element to it. I just wrote the problem this team has is executing at the end of tremendously long drives. The reason is our personnel is not built for the 5-yard-line. We will score here and there in there, but we have to strike from the 15 when defenses can't shrink up on us.

Or we have to go Kelly, Thomas, Cooley and Davis in on passing downs to out-big everyone down low.

I agree with Art. There is time to fix the problems, but they're clearly there. It might be early in the season, but the problems have carried over during Zorn's tenure. As the head coach and offensive playcaller, it is his responsibility to get the team in the best possible situation to put up points and win games. It is the players' responsibilities to successfully execute those schemes. Regardless of whose fault it is, the Redskins need to improve quickly to establish any hope for being a true contender in the NFL.

I agree. But no need for everyone to go off the deep end. OMG!:doh:

Also Art. One play that bothered me for the whole game was the VERY FIRST play from scrimmage. Campbell (not bashing him) missed Kelly who would've still been running down the sidelines, but Campbell lacked the touch on the ball. Kelly had the defender beat down the sideline on another play and Campbell threw it too wide and out of bounds instead of letting Kelly go get it.

I don't forget about plays like these. Zorn gave us a few opportunities to score TD's last week, but the players didn't execute. Did Zorn make some bone-headed calls? Sure, but if the Campbell Camp is willing to give him time to adjust to the WCO than Zorn should be given time to learn the rigors of HC'ing in the NFL.

The Ravens didn't score a TD in 5 straight weeks, same year they won the Super Bowl. The object is too win the game. Sure, the Skins should have smashed the Rams. But they didn't execute. So..............
The Ravens also had one of the greatest defenses to ever step on the field as well as one of the greatest LBs to ever play thte game. We dont have that luxury. If we can only beat one of the worst teams in the league by 2 points thats not very promising for when we play real teams. I am not saying Zorn needs to go now but alot of us are getting tired of never living up to our true potential week in and week out.

The Ravens didn't score a TD in 5 straight weeks, same year they won the Super Bowl. The object is too win the game. Sure, the Skins should have smashed the Rams. But they didn't execute. So..............

they went 2-3 over that stretch. i highly doubt their fans were all smiles during that stretch, especially it being so early in the season.

The reason is our personnel is not built for the 5-yard-line. We will score here and there in there, but we have to strike from the 15 when defenses can't shrink up on us.

Or we have to go Kelly, Thomas, Cooley and Davis in on passing downs to out-big everyone down low.

Not built for the 5 yard line? I don't buy that. Blocking helps. It does.

Archived